axe fx II not fat enough?

What I'd say is that you should really, really, REALLY read through this here: http://redwirez.com/mixIR2UsersGuide.pdf

I would stick with one mic per IR block - make sure they're all running in parallel. Make sure that you're using the sliders on each cab block. Choose whether or not you want to include filters. Sometimes a little low cut can't hurt, and I've screwed around with peak filter cuts, but now I mostly do everything in a PEQ block in between the amp/cabs, or I do it in the DAW. If you do run the Neve EQ's, make sure they're at the end and you run them in serial after the parallel cab IR's. It's all about how you want to flavor it, but I haven't found the EQ's to be that helpful. I did use an EQ to suck out the low mids of my recent bass cab IR though - it helped clear it up right from the get go so much more. Have fun!!!

i have a set of logitech speakers for my computer and a pair of BX5a's for my mixer.

I have a pair of Bx5a's and if I remember correctly, they can't process anything under 64-63 Hz which might explain why you don't feel the crushing low end. They really can't handle low end well Cus I've tried tracking bass with them and ended up using headphones.

I have a pair of Bx5a's and if I remember correctly, they can't process anything under 64-63 Hz which might explain why you don't feel the crushing low end. They really can't handle low end well Cus I've tried tracking bass with them and ended up using headphones.

THANK YOU! Im not crazy! I asked around about that cause i was wondering why they lacked any bass and people said that they had BX5a's and they sound just fine. So i got confused about that.

As for mixIR, i wish i had the 50 bucks to pay for it. its gonna have to wait a little while. :( But i like the look of it. I know there are free ones out there but by the looks of it mixIR is the way to go. Thanks!

THANK YOU! Im not crazy! I asked around about that cause i was wondering why they lacked any bass and people said that they had BX5a's and they sound just fine. So i got confused about that.

As for mixIR, i wish i had the 50 bucks to pay for it. its gonna have to wait a little while. :( But i like the look of it. I know there are free ones out there but by the looks of it mixIR is the way to go. Thanks!

Mix IR IS AWESOME. I've tried every convolution reverb available and it is in my opinion one of the very best. It is right in line with Sir2, maybe a tad bit softer sounding. I was discussing the Mix IR with one of the developers when I was helping to iron out some bugs, and he told me that it was his goal to make it in line with Sir2 and I think they did a fantastic job only with a ton of flexibility Sir2 doesn't have.

As for cabinet impulses, if you purchased the Mesa cab from Redwirez, I could PM you my cab block that I've set up to mimic John Petrucci's cabinet miking technique. It incorporates two Redwirez impulses with different mics blended and it really helps to nail Petrucci's tone. But you've got to get the impulses loaded into the Axe FX yourself. It's really not difficult.

Let me know if you're interested.

BTW... As for the tin can effect... I think you're hearing the same thing I do when playing in the room with a tone matched preset. I'm not fond of it, so I usually stay away from any tone matching because of the weird sound feel I get from them. Not a fan!

Oh, I see. Well, you should be able to load them as .syx files into your user cabs via axe-edit. This is a safe function to do because you aren't actually editing any patches:

1. click axe-manage
2. Go to user cabs
3. Open your red wire impulses folder
4. find IR you want
5. click and drag to slot you want to use in User Cabs
6. select cab in axe manage, and either right click or control click (mac)
7. Select send to Axe-fx
8. Repeat for as many cabs as you like.

You can also load a shit-ton of them and then send the "selected files" by highlighting them all and sending them.

Exit out of Axe Edit - resist the temptation to tweak while in Axe Edit.

Scroll in amp block to the user settings and audition your IRs.

Mix IR and Axe-o-matic DSP are invaluable tools. If you can scrape together some cash I'd do it as soon as you can. It'll make mixing so much better. Or save up and get a big bundle. You can't really go wrong this way.

My pick ups are right up to the strings.

it still feels off.
That could be part of your problem. If your pickups are too close to your strings, the magnetic pull from the pickups changes the movement of the strings. That can do all sorts of weird things to your tone and feel.

Here's the preset containing my cabinet emulating John's cabinet along with the same miking technique he uses for recording...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3494182/John Petrucci Cab.syx

Here's a quick snippet of me playing a preset I made that simulates John's solo tone on his solo album Suspended Animation incorporating my cab.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3494182/JP Suspended Animation.mp3

I'm using the Redwirez impulses as previously stated, and anyone wanting to try out that cab will need to purchase them. Please support Redwirez!

First impulse - MesaRectifierV30s-SM57-CapEdge-0.5
Second Impulse - MesaRectifierV30s-421-CapEdge-0.5

Please note that the impulse order does make a major difference since the 421 is blended into the SM57 and is set to a lower volume to FATTEN the sound.

I hope this helps you attain the tone you're looking for.

Last edited:
Yeah i bought the Big Box impulses but i need to learn how to use them. Im sure I'll find something amazing in them as u say.

The RW Big Box is great, but so many files. Takes alot of time to explore. I found out for me that i´m using the 3-5 inch IRs most of the time. Checkout the MesaV30 SM57 CapeEdge 3in as a mono cab and use in the eq tab of the amp the tpyical V setting. You can see my eq settings in the presets that i posted here. So this is way i use it. The 8K fader is great to control the tone if it´s too harsh.

In my opinion it´s easy to get an awesome tone out of the Axe with these three options:
basic amp tab, eq amp tab, and the cab

I don´t need more. :D

We all know that at this time the key for a perfect sound are the IRs. And when someone is new to it, it takes some time to explore all the files.
But maybe Cliff has the ultimate solution for this some days. Hopefully. :D

thanks for the cab! unfortunately it wont let me install it in my axe II. But I have the cab combo you gave me at it works really well, but i still feel this canned feeling coming from the tone. Its really strange.

Could my mixer have anything to do with it?

Something tells me that your Bx5a's are gonna be the weak link here. I hate to say it too as I own a pair myself and they tend to do some things that I don't like nor are exactly accurate frequency wise. It's also probably why I don't use them much (aside from trying to use my room to reference without treatment and don't have room to do proper placement. Maybe that's what's killing me.). Maybe if when you did something on the Bx5s and listened back on some ipod headphones, you'll have a better idea as what's going on.

The cab. it wont let me import it for some reason.

It's an Axe Edit preset. You should be able to simply open the preset and see the cab sitting there waiting for you. Then you'll need to load the impulses I listed in order since they are not stock.

Do the recordings we have made for you sound canned to you? Are you monitoring them through the same speakers you're playing your Axe through?

The canned sound might be latency as well. Does it feel as if there's a delay from the time you hit a string to the time you hear it? You mentioned a mixer, it's possible that it's introducing latency to your signal chain.

Last edited:
Read through Yeks Wiki! There are a ton of tips and tricks in there. One of my favorites is the use of Tape Distortion after the amp block. Here is a quote straight from the wiki

Try the Tape Dist block after the Amp block to add bite to the tone. Cliff: "The tape drive is meant to be used anywhere in the chain. I've been using it after the amp to fatten things up and it work really well for that. Be careful though, the drive block is mono so you can get phase issues if you put it after a stereo effect." And: "It's just a generic tape distortion simulator. I used an old Ampex EQ curve basically."

Axe-Fx II Wiki Home - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Do the recordings we have made for you sound canned to you? Are you monitoring them through the same speakers you're playing your Axe through?
No they dont. I don't even know how to describe it. Im giving my ears a rest for the next few hours though.

As for my BX5a's, I will eventually aim to replace them. but im hearing the same quality in tone on my computer speakers.

Im gonna take a break and come back and start from scratch. People have been saying that they can make tones that are awesome really easy so I figure if I start again I'll come across something.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be back in a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom