axe fx II not fat enough?

I should justify that statement by saying the following:

Axe Edit has known serious bugs that will do things to your patches at it's whim. We're talking like "Hey, I'm going to set your amp back to bassman, and one of your speaker cabs to the oval 1x6. Then your drive settings will just change on you, and if you tweak anything on the speaker resonance page I might just change the settings in your advanced tab for giggles".

I remember being perplexed as to why when I changed the tonestack as an experiment the knobs on my amps would go all crazy, and my speaker resonance settings would change. Yeah. It was Axe Edit. You should not be using it until FAS comes out with the new version, as it does insane things to your presets.

Fuck! We should have asked a while ago, fellas.

Turn that shit off and tweak from the front panel. Axe Edit will do the craziest shit to your patches.

Especially if you are on the latest firmware. My patches sounded great loaded from Axe Edit, but when saved into the Axe FX and loaded up, the Axe would load in different impulses. Cliff directed me not to use Axe Edit with the latest firmware, so I have since gone back to 7.

Oh that started happening to me in like... FW 6. I just figured it out when we were all having that discussion about the speaker resonance page with Scott and everything went Coockoo bananas on my ass and I started asking why it was doing it, and then I read the thread about not using AE because of the flaws.

Oh that started happening to me in like... FW 6. I just figured it out when we were all having that discussion about the speaker resonance page with Scott and everything went Coockoo bananas on my ass and I started asking why it was doing it, and then I read the thread about not using AE because of the flaws.

I had great success with AE up until 8.0. As soon as that firmware came out, all my patches went crazy. :( I'm having no issues in 7, but then again, I'm doing very little lately, kinda waiting for the next AE, then I'll be able to go back to 8.

SERIOUSLY!? The thing that makes it more convenient for me to edit my tone is whats fucking me up?! Then whats the point of it?!

Before you come at me bros, let me explain.

I know this thing can provide pretty much any tone ever and at perfect quality. I've heard some.of the tones made with this thing and I'm insanely jealous that I can't seem to make tones in the same quality. I've tried everything! Eq, tone matching, multiple amp and cab combinations, different drive types, etc. I cant seem to make a tone that's warm and mean like john petrucci's on Black Clouds and Silver Linings album. (Dream Theater) Not the exact tone but same high quality tone that's nice and fat.

I normally record 2 rhythm guitar tracks, pan them left and right, bus them together in pro tools, then slap a Waves S1 stereo imager on the bus to spread em wide. But the tones I make just don't compare in terms of thickness.

The axe fx is running right into inputs 1-2 on my mackie 820i mixer.

What can I do?

tried to add a FAT BASS guitar!? ;)

SERIOUSLY!? The thing that makes it more convenient for me to edit my tone is whats fucking me up?! Then whats the point of it?!

It's just currently incompatible with the latest FW. I believe it's currently being worked on. Front Panel is the way to tweak for now.

they are re-working it as we speak... some growing pains on that side of the business... I would suggest for now using the panel. It helps to know how to use it as well if you are in a pinch without a computer.

And yes - some guys seem to get away with using Axe Edit for very slow, very mild tweaking. I won't even open it unless it's to load cabinets or presets. I won't touch anything else because it had catastrophic effects on my overall patch building. Drove me crazy for a good long time before I figured it out, too.

It's a really complex balance, that Axe Edit. Everything is trying to communicate via USB at once and there's just a lot of messages going back and forth, so things get... hairy. Yes, you will have to tweak from the front panel. But you'll get to a point where you're really quick very fast if you just start. I'd say start again from scratch on your patches and hit them with the front panel. You will likely find that a lot of your problems just ride off into the sunset.

For me, adding any kind of drive removes a lot of 'phatness' of the amp tone I'm getting... So I always run my live sound dry. Also, have you tried to tone match a 'known good guitar tone,' something that you know you like and see how that sits in your mix? I will say your first clips sounded (tone wise) very Petrucci-ish.

Back
Top Bottom