axe fx II not fat enough?

Well, it's sounding tons better though. Yes, it's a bit more time consuming, but my understanding is that they're getting pretty close to finishing up the work on Axe-Edit and we should be all aboard the gravy train. I wouldn't spend too much time being upset about AE though. Just start dialing in some good stuff and you'll forget about it's existence in no time at all.

Hey metalgarret,

I'm also very into petrucci tones. Do you have a stem of ADTOE? If not, I've done an IR of an ADTOE stem with the newest firmware and it sounds superb. It's one of the best IRs for tight crunch sounds that I have in my collection. And I have a lot of IRs because I'm a sounddesigner for a guitar plugin. ;)
I'm now on iPad here, but when I get back to my studio computer I will share the patch.
Send me a message if I forget it ;)

Cheers,
Alex

Alex that would be great!

To all the others, thank you. This has been hugely helpful. I can't wait to get off night shift and start tweaking. There are definitely some serious settings I have overlooked/misunderstood.

I really appreciate the the level of info you guys contribute here.

Matt

Hey metalgarret,

I'm also very into petrucci tones. Do you have a stem of ADTOE? If not, I've done an IR of an ADTOE stem with the newest firmware and it sounds superb. It's one of the best IRs for tight crunch sounds that I have in my collection. And I have a lot of IRs because I'm a sounddesigner for a guitar plugin. ;)
I'm now on iPad here, but when I get back to my studio computer I will share the patch.
Send me a message if I forget it ;)

Cheers,
Alex
That would be awesome! Thanks a bunch!

I don't know what it is about JPs tone but it just draws me in as if it were ear-candy.

That last tone I posted sounds better? Good. I'm starting to get an idea of how it's suppose to sound over here. I just need to make it less static-y but still have high end. Normally I use a parametric EQ in pro tools and dip at around 4k or 8k. But sometimes I lose that edgey metal attack that comes with a palm-mute. It takes tweaking.

With that last tone though, and you can probably hear it, when I shred on some of the lower notes I lose definition in the notes and choke on some. I think to lack of gain or the timbre of the amp might not be what im lookin for.

I'm lookin into how to use IRs as we speak.

Thanks! Damn thats pretty exact!

EDIT: Ok I tried loading the preset but i got no sound :(

I then copied the amp block to another patch and tried to tone match. the result was this:
http://soundcloud.com/soleparadigm/tone-test-3

This is the weakness I was talking about. It lacks any edge. I dont understand how people are pulling out sounds like they do with this amp cause it's not pulling any weight for me.

Last edited:
something's not right. somebody make a simple amp + cab patch and record a short clip. send it to metalgarret and have him record a short clip so we can directly compare the two recordings both made with exactly the same patch.

question for metalgarret - are you summing the left and right outputs of the axe and recording them onto one track in your daw?

ok try this - i'm no shredder, so you get D, A and E, i'm afraid. if you can record something similar and them we can try and find out if the problem is in the axe or not

no post processing involved except a tiny amount of compression over the master bus

Attachments

• Heavy MkII.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
ok try this - i'm no shredder, so you get D, A and E, i'm afraid. if you can record something similar and them we can try and find out if the problem is in the axe or not

no post processing involved except a tiny amount of compression over the master bus

Heavy MkII TEST by Sole Paradigm on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Here's mine. I just realized though that I left some EQ in pro tools on so im gonna try to record with my tone again. But im doing this anyway cause i wanna see the results.

I should also mention that when i loaded the preset i got no sound coming out. so i saved each block and opened a new preset and reloaded them as they were.

kind of. but mine is lacking in lower end i think. and the texture is a tad different but that could be cause we're playing different guitars.

Part of the tin can tendency you're hearing is a pile-up of frequencies because you are using the same guitar, amp, cab, and EQ on both channels. You get weird cancellations as well - things are so similar they collide in weird ways. Sometimes it creates a high-frequency flange that starts coming through - sometimes it creates a sucking effect across the whole mids section and gets that hollow tinny sound.

When I do rough recordings that I plan on tracking later this isn't so big a deal. But otherwise I always use at least different cabs in my L&R channels, or I do slightly different things with my EQ so that I'm not hitting everything identically in the frequency spectrum when I double track. Try one mic on the cab on one side - another on the other. Like a SM57 R and the R121 L or something.

I'd say that his recording sounds pretty close to your recording, as he double tracked it.

On my system your recording with my patch has more bottom end than my recording. I wonder if you drop my mp3 into your daw you'll hear something different than if you listen through your browser?

See and that's without really tweaking too much to compensate for the difference in IRs. If you had made two entirely different presets to get complimentary sounds I'm willing to bet you'd be in a much happier place. It's little things, like the 67 COND probably needs more filtering of the low end than the R121. Keep working at it, and consider the Own Hammer or Redwirez cabs once you start really getting the hang of it. The cool thing about RedWirez big bundle is that it comes with MixIR2, which you can then make custom cab combinations with. The OH betas... well, they're just awesome. I'm planning on purchasing them eventually and still using MixIR to get things rocking. Good luck Garret. You're on your way!

See and that's without really tweaking too much to compensate for the difference in IRs. If you had made two entirely different presets to get complimentary sounds I'm willing to bet you'd be in a much happier place. It's little things, like the 67 COND probably needs more filtering of the low end than the R121. Keep working at it, and consider the Own Hammer or Redwirez cabs once you start really getting the hang of it. The cool thing about RedWirez big bundle is that it comes with MixIR2, which you can then make custom cab combinations with. The OH betas... well, they're just awesome. I'm planning on purchasing them eventually and still using MixIR to get things rocking. Good luck Garret. You're on your way!

Yeah i bought the Big Box impulses but i need to learn how to use them. Im sure I'll find something amazing in them as u say.

Simeon, thats more than likely cause i have a set of logitech speakers for my computer and a pair of BX5a's for my mixer.

EDIT: By big box i meant Mesa Rect IRs

Back
Top Bottom