Axe-Fx II fw14 Released!

I can't find specific information on this command in the manual. It's not clear to me what it does.
All it does is change the revision number on the preset and formats the preset in the current format. It is exactly the same as going to a preset and saving it without changing it.

Last edited:
All it does is change the revision number on the preset. It is exactly the same as going to a preset and saving it without changing it.

But it does it to all of the presets at one time, as opposed to having to do so individually? Thanks! I wish things like this were documented in the manual. It's good to be able to see and know what each of the parameters and buttons do.

But it does it to all of the presets at one time, as opposed to having to do so individually? Thanks! I wish things like this were documented in the manual. It's good to be able to see and know what each of the parameters and buttons do.

Yes, all at once.

So, I saw v14 yesterday, and though, "Well, I've worked really hard on my patches, so I don't want to totally start from scratch, but I'll read the release notes…" So I read them, and noticed the little note, "will likely NOT alter the sounds of your presets…" so I backed everything up, and took the plunge, and holy f-bombs I'm so glad I did.

The new "USA Pre LD2 Red" took over, and with some minor eq, and gain tweaks between songs, it's pretty much become my main live tone. It also took less than an hour to switch all of my patches to the new amp, and balance out the volumes between patches. I was using 6 or 7 different amps before, and now I'm only using 3. This will be way easier to manage.

Thank you Fractal!

Has anyone lost a good bit of low end on high gain patches? Specifically with the DAS Metall?

Also, has anyone tried engaging the Bright Switch on the FAS Brootalz Model? Is it "supposed" to sound like that or no? I ask because I generally use the Bright switch on most all of my high gain patches and I compensate by dialing back on the Gain a bit and tweaking the Treble and Presence. But when I flip on that Bright Switch on this particular amp model, something crazy happens that I can't seem to tame. Anyone else notice this?

I know there will be some updates weeding out some of the questionable things, and so far I feel like 14 sounds a bit more open, which is cool. But I'm having trouble tweaking my high gain stuff back to my comfort zone due to the difference with the low end and not to mention the changes that were made with the Global Noise Gate. Does anyone with similar concerns have any feedback?

Thanks!

Is it my imagination, or does the Axe respond better now (with fw14) to turning down the volume on the guitar? I noticed that the plastic-y sound that things took on when you roll down the volume on the guitar is now gone, and it cleans up better and sounds much more natural that way than it did in all previous versions.

Where do i find this??

Added Global Noisegate Offset parameter. This parameter allows offsetting the Noisegate threshold for all presets. This can be used to increase or decrease the threshold to compensate for varying interference levels. Note that if the Threshold parameter in the preset is set to “Off” the Global Offset will have no effect. NOTE: This parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware. Be sure to set to the desired value. The default value is 0 dB and is set to that upon System Reset.

Where do i find this??

Added Global Noisegate Offset parameter. This parameter allows offsetting the Noisegate threshold for all presets. This can be used to increase or decrease the threshold to compensate for varying interference levels. Note that if the Threshold parameter in the preset is set to “Off” the Global Offset will have no effect. NOTE: This parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware. Be sure to set to the desired value. The default value is 0 dB and is set to that upon System Reset.

Press the Global button.

Big +1 on tooltips for AE.

Is there any way in the future to add a feature in axe edit in the user cab section to where if a particular user cab is being used in a preset that maybe is shows up in bold or something. I know I should keep a log of which ones are being used but I haven't been and now I've purchased two hi res cab packs and all my user spaces are full but not all are being used so I don't know which ones are avail. Basically just asking if that's possible. Also how about a kind of auto manual within axe edit to where if you scroll over a parameter name a drop box appears that will give you the description of that particular parameter I posted this before in the axe edit section but not many views and no responses.

Thanks for the fw14. Can't wait to load it.

I was thinking about tool tips last night also. It would nice for a small pop-up window in Axe-Edit when you hover above a knob with a quick 1 sentence description of what that control does.

I looked at the global noise gate after reset, but it was already set to 0... ?

I've been wanting something like that for a long time. I mentioned it once before and also got no response. Maybe a status printout of cabs, what is being used and what isn't. I'm not using most of my slots and know generally what I am using but there's bound to be the odd cab being used in a preset.

Did gig #2 last night. FW14 frikkin rocks at gig volume.

The louder you crank it, the more addictive it gets.

For me, cranking up usually meant highs and/or dynamics would get a bit much. This has gotten better with each firmware, but now it holds together better than ever. Example: highs - the marshall 50W high is beautiful now. At high volume highs would get a little out of hand. Now it's warmer, more powerful, musical etc.
And amps that were a little stiff dynamically when cranked are doing what our hands/ears want. It's always gotten better, but for the first time I wasn't wanting to touch anything last night on feel/highs and it was loud. I need to refine some cab choices, but otherwise, cranked = F-yea!

I agree about better at high SPL.

When I'm listening at low volume, it sounds more like a real amp, a little dark. A sound I'm familiar with. And when you crank up, BOOM.

I played with the Lonestar Clean model a lot this afternoon paired with the TAF Shadow IR.

I have the Lonestar Special, rather than the one modelled and I have to say that I was in complete familiar heaven with this model. Paired with the TAF Shadow IR it sounds as close as anything I've been able to get to my real amp. After this week's big gig I'm going to try fiddling with the tone stack options. Mesa have always said that the Lonestar and Lonestar Special have identical preamps, it's just the power amp stages that are different (6L6 vs EL84). I'm going to have me some fun with this model!

Cliff, thank you for modelling this amp. I'm back in familiar territory to my "traditional amp" setup and I couldn't be happier. My head was fully in on the Axe-FX paradigm; my heart and soul have just joined it.

Back
Top Bottom