Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 7.00 Public Beta

Just finished tracking a song today and used the Herbert and new VH4.... good god they sound good. I'm finally able to get that throaty mid-range punch the real amps have. Just wow is all I have to say about this update!

Also forgotten in the release notes...?

- the stuff in the delay Cliff did for fremen (haven't checked if it's in)
- wasn't the tuner more stabilized yet again?

From the release notes:

Removed matching data from some of the amp models because the new algorithms makes it unnecessary.

Why only for some? In need for a new ephipany for the other ones?

Last edited:
Damn I'm not home to try the 7b out!! Sounds really promising.
On a month trip in China, so there's no guitar related activities until I get back home. On the other hand, a 0.2 gal of nice, cold beer cost 50 cents so I guess I'll just use my remaining 2 weeks building a nice, soft belly for my guitar to rest on when I get home...8)

This company just keeps proving over and over why they reign supreme. Kudos to Cliff and all the guys at Fractal!!!

I think they will redo the presets to reflect the updated stuff. Try resetting the amp block and see if it is still muffled.

Thanks for the advice. I've been working late a lot lately and only had about 20 minutes to play after the firmware update. I'm going to try to dig into it more tonight.

Also forgotten in the release notes...?

- the stuff in the delay Cliff did for fremen (haven't checked if it's in)
- wasn't the tuner more stabilized yet again?

Yes, forgot to put that stuff in the notes. Probably a few other things I've forgot too.

what's the new tape style chorus like? i'm holding off until the official version is released, but i'm chomping at the bit here.... :)

Very nice for a subtle chorus.

excited like a little girl? me? never!

child-very-excited1.jpg

Really looking forward to the final release of V7!
I hope the beta wasn't released because the final version won't come out any time soon..

Many of the high gain factory presets were immediate "high squeal city" (GT800FX driving Atomics in passive mode).
Forget this remark (if you hadn't already ;))
Turns out it had something to do with going through the DTR-1 tuner first. Maybe I pushed the mic selection or it is crossing over inside...
Axe tuner is reacting perfectly now :)

"Ranting" about my definition of the "dynamic maximum" again...: After 6 hrs of playing, what I meant in previous messages here and there doesn't seem to be changed. I can hit a string harder and harder and still harder and not feel like there's no limit. The "dynamic maximum" limit feels to be there pretty soon, like it always was (I *was* playing EMGs which are said to be compressing though; I couldn't even get in the red by slamming, or maybe that's the input limiter working?).
What I do feel is there seems a fair bit more range for picking dynamics in the range that already *was* available :)
So still room for improvement, I would guess, but starting to fear it's just not possible w digital, unless sacrificing input level on purpose?

Anyway, I've entered the "10 hrs a day zone" just the same :D

Last edited:
Cliff any chance of adding the suhr riot drive box in the official release? I'm on vacation so i haven't tried the beta yet, but I'm psyched to give the zen drive a try, thanks!

FW 7.0 Initial Review

www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware+presets/axe-fx-2/beta/axefx2_7p00_public_beta.zip

THIS IS BETA FIRMWARE. IT MAY HAVE BUGS. IT MAY RENDER SMALL ANIMALS UNCONSCIOUS OR CAUSE YOUR FACE TO MELT. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Cliff, it's great to see you taking satirical swipes at your customers' liguistic exaggerations (I'm in that group). Good to know you don't take yourself too seriously

BUGS FIRST: 1) Looper, when engaged, drops the preset volume; 2) Dynamics control maxed-out or cut all the way on many presets (though this may not be a bug, but rather a consequence of new algorithms); 3) When resetting an amp block, the GEQ section markers all go to the bottom- big deal? no, but can be fixed

NOW THE GOOD STUFF:
1) The OD pedals seem to "fit" better with the amps...feels like a real, analog signal chain, but w/o the signal loss & chaotic pedal/cable mosaic.

2) I had to make some minor changes to my presets, mostly on "Sag" and "Dynamics." However, I have deleted PEQ's in nearly every preset! This is significant on so many levels. What I'm seeing now on my presets is that the closer I stay at noon/default on most of the parameters, the better my sound is (except on Boogie amps, of course).

3) Reverb is stellar, needing only so much as a quick time, tone, & mix tweak. I'm using Westone UM3x IEM's, and I got scared because I thought the amp was really there in front of me. Didn't happen before.

This is probably the biggest improvement yet for players going direct (& back into IEM's via Aviom-type system), as the power amp section has had an "awakening." I can hear the filaments purring!

Cliff, as insignificant as it may be, you have my utmost respect. Jump into the Axe-verse was the best musical decision I ever made.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to 7.0 without changing anything on the AxeFx2
THe latency is now huge! It doesn't feel right. I must be missing something.....please someone help!

The latency is high even when the unit is standalone (USB disconnected)

I almost forgot!

The Tuner is leaps and bounds improved. Maybe it was my guitar that goes out of tune easily, but the tuner is now much more stable.

, but starting to fear it's just not possible w digital, unless sacrificing input level on purpose?

Actually digital is not the dynamic limitation, it's the analog side you need to worry on.
Technically, 24bit is capable of 144 DBFS S/N (24*6=144).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom