Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 5.00 Up

1 hour on v5 - comments:
- Feels more direct.
- I hear a more natural texture to the tones.
- The overall sound of my patches seems more "round" / "thick"
- I'm getting better sustain on gain patches and I heard several instance where my lead notes and chords trail off more nicely than I'd remembered previously (perhaps the gate changes at play here).
- I have an easier time to play leads at continuous and even volume.
- Was getting some great controlled feedback on some patches even through headphones.
Your comments are pretty spot on to what I heard at the jam room... I was expecting a super huge jump in everything... but what I heard were "amp" tones. Hahahahaha Which is definitely great! Definitely gotta tweak it a bit more but right off the bat it sounded it sounded bigger and darker (at least with the New Recto Orange)... I kicked up the treble and presence and it was ripping! Still want to tweak some more especially with the DYN tab options. What I'm really excited to do is some re-amping and hear how it sounds...

Thanks a billion Cliff!

More than 1%, less than 2% in my case, nothing to worry about (11 blocks in the grid, 9 effects plus an amp and a cab, around 73.5% utilization)...

Thanks. I was worried, because I run a few patches with pretty high CPU load, but this is nothing to speak of :)

Just spent an hour playing through the Friedman HBE. Had to take a break and post how killer this amp is now. I don't usually play through the higher gain models as much these days but man, that's going to change now.

Also, the drive blocks are so much more responsive now. I had a really hard time getting into the drive blocks before.
There's no placebo effect going on in this update, that's for sure.

Update went smooth! Sounds great only had to turn down my patches some. Needs some tone tweaking but the feel is great! Going off to explore the rest.

Love it!!:shock

Updated FW, loaded my goto preset, and the output is like -80 dB. Oh my. Tracked it down to Cab2 Y getting trashed. The preset is giving the CPU warning, so I'm not sure if that is related to the block being changed. I checked a few other presets randomly but they seem OK.

Deleted a couple of blocks, set Cab2 Y back where it belongs, and it's working. But... the CPU is still 89%. That seems high for what is in the preset, and a quick check of the V4 factory presets shows the CPU warning on A002: Brownface (didn't check further).
This morning I restored my presets from the backup I made just prior to updating to 5.0. The preset above now works fine, and the CPU is at 90% with all the original blocks still present. It looks like the preset was corrupted when the firmware was updated.

Now excuse me I need to go play.

The updates always add 'more' to the amps & cabs, I'm giving amps & cabs I didn't care for a second chance. With each firmware my palette of sounds that I love keeps growing, the larger palette inspires me to grow as a player as I explore how I'm inspired by the new amps/cabs on my palette.

Thanks Cliff & gang. I'm using amps & sounds that I never would consider in the past, learning to play with these new sounds and exploring new styles is making me grow as a musician.

After some playing and tweaking with V5 I come to the conclusion: Cliff, you can retire now!

I'm perfectly happy now. Every amp I tried so far sounds like a hell of a great amp. I mean every single one.

If I had to use one word to discribe V5 it would probably be: THERE!

Last edited:
OT:

That picture would be great if you add some "1"s tot the "0" bubbles!! :D

here you go....

mad-sci.jpg

Well I just looked up and realized its been 3 hours playing around with your preset so I would conclude it's not what made you crash (at least not the version downloaded)

Dang you Cliff, I have a meeting in 3 hours! :lol

@Robboman.... My BAD. I loaded up your preset just now and it did indeed freeze axe edit and the II almost instantly. It came in at 83% CPU but I assume the patch is corrupt as this is the same behavior I noticed with other corrupt loads. A reboot of both the unit and app corrected the lockup.

I realized I had pulled up one of smilefans creations and was playing that all night. :eek:ops Dohhhhhhhhh! I truly apologize for the misinformation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom