Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 5.00 Up

The request for a translation of the release notes begs an interesting question: Given that it's important to Axe-FX users to read the release notes, how to you make the release notes available and relevant to the broadest audience?

I love the detail and the disclosure in the notes. I always learn something when I read the notes on a major release, and I get to geek out. Fun stuff (seriously!). But some folks are daunted by all the technical detail. It might help if there were two sections: a "What You Need to Know" section and a "Technical Details" section.

Last edited:
The release notes are in the firmware package. Just unzip it, and there you are!

Thanks. So, it looks like the improvements on the tape delay have been pushed back until a later upgrade. Not that it matters much to me right this second, since I don't even have an Axe 2 yet. But I'm just about ready to take the plunge.

Huh. I just updated my Axe to ver 5, and found a cool new feature: Divide By Zero. And it works!!! Wanna know the answer? :D

Reactions: yek
So, it looks like the improvements on the tape delay have been pushed back until a later upgrade.
What improvements? It's been here since the previous release. What's "wrong" with it? Or are you talking about the looper?

Here's a very brief, very rough—and somewhat cheeky—translation:
  1. U can haz new firmware.
  2. It sounds and feel lots better.
  3. There's a Dynamics knob that changes the dynamics. Check it out and hear what it does.
  4. There's a Motor Drive knob in the cab sim. It makes the cab respond to power like a real speaker does. Check it out and hear what it does.
  5. The amp block's high-frequency resonance block has been simplified.
  6. The enhancer is better, too. So is the noise gate. And the compressor.
  7. The USB output choices—well, you don't get 'em anymore.
  8. We also fixed a bunch of stuff.
To understand the nitty-gritty details of the changes Cliff made in the new firmware, you need to know about amplifier circuit design. To use those changes, all you need is your ears. :)

Ah K! I've also noticed, that in a bunch of the high gain amps, if you push the MV beyond 5/6, there's a GHHRR kinda sound (distortion in the low end?) that wasn't there earlier (even with speaker distortion/drive set to 0), and was definitely absent in the ultra. Makes high gain patches a little nifty to dial in. Guitar is a blackjack c-7 with BKP cold sweats - tight as hell! If i use a t808 mod to dial it out the tone becomes kinda thin and scratchy - i wasn't really facing this "problem" in 3.xx, but 4 onwards, it's definitely been more pronounced. I'm assuming thats the way the amps in question behave? *confused*

Thanks. So, it looks like the improvements on the tape delay have been pushed back until a later upgrade. Not that it matters much to me right this second, since I don't even have an Axe 2 yet. But I'm just about ready to take the plunge.

what improvements are you referring to?

What improvements? It's been here since the previous release. What's "wrong" with it? Or are you talking about the looper?

My mistake. I was reading a thread about changes/improvements to the tape delay, and I thought they were forthcoming. It turns out that that an earlier firmware release contained those changes.

^ Javilynch, hurry up and record some clips of the new 5.0

Your previous clips were always great!!

Clips with patches!! lol

Ah K! I've also noticed, that in a bunch of the high gain amps, if you push the MV beyond 5/6, there's a GHHRR kinda sound (distortion in the low end?) that wasn't there earlier (even with speaker distortion/drive set to 0), and was definitely absent in the ultra...I'm assuming thats the way the amps in question behave? *confused*
That's the way it is with high-gain amps. Too much Master usually gives you an unpleasant tone. High-gain amps get so much of their distortion from the preamp that there's no room left for pleasantness in power amp distortion. You need to balance the two in any amp.

Your experience is different from mine: for me, the Axe has behaved this way since the Ultra. I could never get good high-gain sounds with a lot of Master Volume.

Been playing a lot with 5 now. Beta and official. Haven't come across a single amp that doesn't good.
Also a few discoveries, for ex. CAE 3+ Ld, vey nice!

I've been playing the Cameron model and it's beyond pissed off now... :) and the dynamics...wow! . Also I noticed the higher strings have alot more power behind them now. You can definatley nail that percussive lead thingy like Nuno and a few others do :)

I've been playing the Cameron model and it's beyond pissed off now... :) and the dynamics...wow! . Also I noticed the higher strings have alot more power behind them now. You can definatley nail that percussive lead thingy like Nuno and a few others do :)

Exactly. Its wow.

Wow, the tone and my guitar is amazingly silent now. Noise has been driving me crazy in the past. Great update. :)

I used to keep my MV around 5ish - gave great body to the sound, without getting unpleasant. I've also been trying newer approaches from what I used with the ultra, eg. dialing in the MV first, and then the preamp gain. I'd spent a LOT of time with the ultra, and kinda knew it inside out. So, basically, [Redesigned amp modelling on the axe fx 2 + frequent firmware updates] X Very little time = confusion! Ah well...

I've also started warming up to the cameron a LOT! And now that I've put in a bunch of my own ownhammer impulses, things are getting very exciting :) Phenomenal work here FAS team! Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom