Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 13.02 Released

I'm probably gonna buy these cabs! I've held off a long time, I haven't bought Ownhammer since I was using the Ultra, and I haven't bought any Fractal cab packs. This because I'm a amp/cab guy, and was always happy with the stock cabs for recording stuff. But this is all very appealing.. Looks like a great time to get in!

Is there a simple way to cross-reference the OWNHAMMER ultrares cabs to the recommended cabs shown on the amp page in the WIKI? I don't really like auditioning all the cabs and it's much quicker to just use those recommended in the WIKI.

After playing this FW for 2 hours, (and you will hate me for saying this), but throw all 'convention' out the door.

I've found the stock presets work great with this FW, but the UltraRES take a bit of getting used to. I'll save it for a review, but the word for me is 'clarity' (I've seen '3D' thrown around too...) For me they have a very tactile and audible difference. On the plus side: I'm abandoning my 'we're 99% there compared to tubes' mantra...we are there folks, in all it's quirky glory (remember those days of battling your tube amp for that perfect tone?.) My presets which are highly based on note definition and dynamics are decidedly spikey (found myself cranking up the amp compression)...so I need more care in my playing. This just IS, not good or bad (practice Ron! You lazy fook!) But in learning this new animal, I found that I'm more than a bit addicted to the UltraRES stuff. I highly recommend the OH purchase.

Although, I will suggest that OH offer a 'pick em' set of live IR mixes...because outside of the many power users here, I believe that most will only use 5-10 cabs...spending a C-Note on the whole shebang might be more than some are willing to pay. Either way, I see them as well worth it.

Ron

Wow! I mean... wow! Cliff, this one is just over the top. Tried a couple of them demo Ultrares cabs and I knew that I had to pick up the full pack. If I didn't have neighbors downstairs I'd still be playing! The amp improvements are nice, but the Ultrarez is something else again.

While I mainly play guitar, I've been looking forward to a few new bass amps. Unfortunately I got so caught up in auditioning the new cabs for guitar I haven't even got my bass out to try the new bass amps. So glad you decided to put together a FAS Bass amp as well as the Mesa and Orange. Can't wait til tomorrow to really get in some time and turn it up a bit.

Once again thanks to FAS for continuing to push the envelope & for passing it on to existing users for free.

Will try the new firmware shortly & Ultrarez sounds promising. Great to have the additional bass amps just a shame that there wasn't at least one bass IR among the 10 sample Ultrarez IRs. It seems bass cab IRs would especially benefit from the great new technology,

Quick question regarding cabs. I upgraded to 13 earlier this evening. I just went to look at what spaces I might have open on my user IRs and some of my previously loaded IRs are bolded and italicized. Is this trying to tell me something? Sorry if I've repeated any question that may have already been asked. There has been so much chatter I certainly might have missed it. Thanks in advance.

Lee

What's preventing OWNHAMMER from just providing the ultra res as a download to customers who already bought the cabs without the end user converting? Seems like it would be easy for him to do and release to the customer base?

What's preventing OWNHAMMER from just providing the ultra res as a download to customers who already bought the cabs without the end user converting? Seems like it would be easy for him to do and release to the customer base?

Just a guess, but I think since the UltraRes technology is proprietary to Fractal, OwnHammer can't just use Fractal's Cab-Lab to convert and re-sell (or hand out) UltraRes cabs.

Just a guess, but I think since the UltraRes technology is proprietary to Fractal, OwnHammer can't just use Fractal's Cab-Lab to convert and re-sell (or hand out) UltraRes cabs.

Isn't the Sysx file type that allows end users to upload their own IR also proprietary? Proprietary doesn't always make a wall to sharing user generated content.

And the updated Cab Lab will be offered as a free upgrade.

Downloading the new Ultra Res pack will be nice, as it's a time saver. But for those who already purchase the OH packs, you will be able to create them yourself with the new, forthcoming Cab Lab.

I may have find a bug : in all my presets where the gate/expander block was bypassed by default, it's now on.
EDIT : Even if it's really a bug it's not a big deal, I already fixed all my presets affected by that ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom