Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

Quick observation - I noticed that patches I previously stored on the unit have their "y" cab speaker size changed to 0.250 when "y" is selected. After upgrading to this firmware, I ran the "update all presets utility". Creating a new preset from scratch doesn't make the "y" cab speaker size set to 0.250 by default. Not sure if this is a bug and/or replicable. I will try to reload a patch from disk backup to the unit to see if this "y" cab speaker size anomaly happens as well.

Thanks,
Dave Z

I noticed this in many of the factory presets before the latest firmware.

Default is 1.000. My patches from 12.03 with default 1.000 have their value still at 1.000 on 12,04beta (X & Y). Or what do you mean?

I just checked out the new FW (loud) and really feel it interacting.
Tickles, dunnit?

Awesome - thanks Cliff!

One Q:
With the above comment on the LF Res parm, would raising our LF Res parameters across the board be recommended to achieve a new baseline in realism (and would they be defaulted higher at some point), or do you mean that higher LF Res values are just more usable and fun now?
MORE FUN!
Tweak as you please.

This update looks like it'll be amazing! I have been chomping at the bit for the ability to change power tubes... I only hate that right now I am still trying to figure out how to get my broken value knob fixed with out too much down time or any at all.

One of the amps I use is the Triptek Clean and Classic. For some reason the Clean sounds strange (muffled). Could this be a bug?

It's an indication of how happy I am with my tone on THAT firmware - can't imagine how it could be cooler, but looking forward to finding out :)
It's not the blue pill. You CAN find out how deep the rabbit hole goes and turn back.

Last edited:
are you trying to use a Scene Controller? that is different than a Scene.

check out my Scene Controller video if you're not sure:

Scene Controllers in the Axe-FX II – Basics : Katsu Kuri Media Blog

you are probably getting 100% feedback because the controller you chose is set to 100% (step 4).

I hope I don't sound rude, but why does everybody assume I don't know what I'm doing? I was using Scene controllers as soon as they were introduced in 12.00, and it's only because I already had patches which used scene controllers for delay that I noticed a problem when I updated to 12.04. Also, I just described above an insanely simple procedure that I can reproduce the issue with, and as I'm sure you're aware, a brand new blank preset has all Scene controller values initialized to 0%. In none of my patches do I have a scene controller value greater than 50%, and most of the time I use scene controllers for controlling delay feedback and mix. The problem is occurring regardless of the value, even if it's 0%.

By the way, nice video, and yes, that confirmed that indeed I'm doing things right (which I knew because I was already using scene controllers prior to updating to 12.04).

Have you tried what I suggested? I'm asking because I've gotten a couple of "you sure you're doing it right?" suggestions, but I haven't actually heard someone say they've tried what I suggested and everything works fine. If it works correctly for everybody but me then I'm going to revert to 12.03 and try again.

What i really don`t miss anymore was this "sticking" at the speaker sound from the Axe, what i heard or imagine before always ...

TBH, I thought you were crazy before but when comparing the new firmware to real amps and other modelers that is exactly the way I would describe it. The new firmware and the real amps feel as though the sound comes from all around whereas the other modelers feel like the sound is "stuck" to the speaker.

I'm totally perplexed on this aspect of human perception. I kind of pride myself on understanding human perception and I usually feel that stuff like this is audiophile hokum but in this case there is definitely something there.

I hope I don't sound rude, but why does everybody assume I don't know what I'm doing?
Chris doesn't know that, does he? Gotta assume the worst first. Work up from there. Don't take it personally.
Chris is one of the most helpful guys here. As you should also know and probably do... But I don't know what you do so I say it anyway...

:D

hi, if you select scene 2 as your source, you are actually selecting scene controller 2.
check the scene tab under controls to see if your controller 2 is set to 100%.
if you are trying to get different feedback levels for different scenes, you should be using the same controller, not different controller I would have assumed.
no access to my unit so can't help further..
hope someone can chip in.

Yep, I know how it works. The scene controller value in a valid patch which worked correctly on 12.03 had values like Controller 2 Scene 1 = 10%, Controller 2 Scene 2 = 15%, etc. for delay feedback. When I created a brand new preset, I didn't even set up any controller values, so they were all initialized to 0% (which I verified by looking at controller values), and even then I get the infinite repeat problem. When I switch to "None" as the modifier source and just use a fixed value like 20% it behaves as-expected.

Chris doesn't know that, does he? Gotta assume the worst first. Work up from there. Don't take it personally.
Chris is one of the most helpful guys here. As you should also know and probably do... But I don't know what you do so I say it anyway...

:D

Nothing against Chris at all, I just described my issue and indicated that I was using scene controllers previously, so hopefully I would get some benefit of the doubt that I did in fact know what I was doing.

EDIT: I just re-read my original post. I realize that I did *not* in fact, indicate that I was using Scene controllers prior to the upgrade. Yes, I could see how the first reaction would be "maybe you're doing it wrong?" My humble apologies.

Default is 1.000. My patches from 12.03 with default 1.000 have their value still at 1.000 on 12,04beta (X & Y). Or what do you mean?
Hi, I meant that previously stored patches that had their "y" cab speaker size set to 1.0 (default) now have 0.250 as their speaker size after upgrading firmware and using the updating all presets utility.

Thanks,
Dave Z

Yep, I know how it works. The scene controller value in a valid patch which worked correctly on 12.03 had values like Controller 2 Scene 1 = 10%, Controller 2 Scene 2 = 15%, etc. for delay feedback. When I created a brand new preset, I didn't even set up any controller values, so they were all initialized to 0% (which I verified by looking at controller values), and even then I get the infinite repeat problem. When I switch to "None" as the modifier source and just use a fixed value like 20% it behaves as-expected.

Post the preset?

Nothing against Chris at all, I just described my issue and indicated that I was using scene controllers previously, so hopefully I would get some benefit of the doubt that I did in fact know what I was doing.

EDIT: I just re-read my original post. I realize that I did *not* in fact, indicate that I was using Scene controllers prior to the upgrade. Yes, I could see how the first reaction would be "maybe you're doing it wrong?" My humble apologies.

A scene control value of zero will now map to -100% feedback. This is likely your issue. Set the scene control value to 50%.

It could be my imagination but seems to me many of the ir's I didn't like before sound better now. Kinda like going from a mid-range only speaker to a much wider, fuller range. I think its a little more that subtle.

It could be my imagination but seems to me many of the ir's I didn't like before sound better now. Kinda like going from a mid-range only speaker to a much wider, fuller range. I think its a little more that subtle.

Likewise. I love the 4x12 Citrus now. It might be my favorite factory IR now.

TBH, I thought you were crazy before but when comparing the new firmware to real amps and other modelers that is exactly the way I would describe it.
Luckily to hear i am not completely crazy :mrgreen

I'm totally perplexed on this aspect of human perception. I kind of pride myself on understanding human perception and I usually feel that stuff like this is audiophile hokum but in this case there is definitely something there.

I really believe, that this "dimensional issue or whatever it is" is the main reason, why some people prefer real guitar cabs over FRFR solutions. Also, i believe that there are guitar cabinet constructions which support this "dimensional" thing better, than others. For example my TT Rex Pro cabinet did that thing not really that good. I can play it as "open cabinet" and "closed cabinet", but when comparing for example to the 2x12" Koch Cabinet from my bandmate - the Koch cabinet just kills my TT rex Pro in this "dimensional thing".

All FRFR solutions i tried to date are lacking in this issue even more. So it seems to be a very complex thing, but one part seems to me defintively the interaction beetween Speaker <-and-> PowerAmp /SPKR page.

Question:
Act the SPKR page settings before 12.04beta "linear" and now with 12.04beta "non-linear"? And the amount of non-linearity can be adjusted via the new Dynamic Damping parameter? Or did i understand this wrong?

All i have to say is, that i really don`t believe that i am talking about Placebo-effect (and i really thought about that!) when i compare now 12.04beta with my speaker cabinet and my memory from some weeks ago ... You´ve done something nicely to the Simulations and now i can`t hear this "missing thing" i heard before. Difficult territory to describe - but i am extremley positive surprised! Thank you for that improvement!

Back
Top Bottom