Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.11 Released

i can't figure out how to make the Preset+Cab Dump work. i tried it from the Front Panel, dumping to USB then to SysEx Librarian, since Bot doesn't seem to have an option to receive a Front Panel dump.

i got a 6.3kB file. the preset used an Amp and Cab with User slot 30 and a commercial IR. i blanked the preset, moved the cab from 30 to 60 just to free up the spot. when i reloaded the preset, it initially changed to "Galaxy Formation" while it loaded, but then the preset i saved popped up, yet the Cab block was empty at User 30.

the release notes say to reference "Axe-Edit help" but i'm not sure where or what that is. are there features coming to a new version of Axe-Edit or similar?

You can't use the dumped data without Axe-Edit support which isn't ready yet. Just because a button is big, red and shiny doesn't mean you should press it.

I have a driver issue. I went to download 18.11 and I was on 18.10 but my drivers stopped working and I had to reload them. Anyway, I got 18.11 to install and went to Axe edit and now it shows disconnected again. I reinstalled drivers and there is no connection. Any thoughts?

The purpose of the new dump type is this:
There are IR producers who are working on "bundles". These bundles are IRs and accompanying presets. You load the bundled preset and IR together. To do this you open the file with Axe-Edit which loads the preset and the included IRs. The included IRs are initially loaded into the scratchpad locations. You audition the preset. If you like it you can save it. When you save it Axe-Edit will prompt you where to save the preset AND where to save the included IRs.

You can't use the dumped data without Axe-Edit support which isn't ready yet. Just because a button is big, red and shiny doesn't mean you should press it.

The purpose of the new dump type is this...

thank you for the clarification.

[highlight]this may be the first feature that is available on the Front Panel, yet not useable until Axe-Edit is updated.[/highlight] ok... let me rephrase that: majority, perhaps "99%," of features released to the Front Panel work without needing Axe-Edit to be updated.

usually the big, red, shiny buttons added to the Front Panel work, so perhaps it's not too strange that i pressed it. hopefully i'm not being chastised for actually reading the release notes and seeking clarification on its contents :)

Last edited:

Good advise! I think the Office of the President of the United States of America has one of these buttons too. :stupid:

Thanks in advance for the user cab dump feature Cliff! :encouragement:

There are IR producers who are working on "bundles". These bundles are IRs and accompanying presets. You load the bundled preset and IR together. To do this you open the file with Axe-Edit which loads the preset and the included IRs. The included IRs are initially loaded into the scratchpad locations. You audition the preset. If you like it you can save it. When you save it Axe-Edit will prompt you where to save the preset AND where to save the included IRs.

:eek: ... WOW!!! :encouragement:

For me the utility of this feature is extremely simple. I have X number of presets using user cabs. My user cab situation is a mess because I can't ever seem to get a handle on a good organizational convention. I end up either just stuck in mess or throw my hands up in the air and nuke everything and start from scratch. The alternative is of course to go through each preset and figure out what the hell is what and what cab I'm using for that preset, make some kind of reference or spreadsheet....yadayada, basically I am going to end up asking myself for a raise at some point.

And I know that is my fault, but this way I can go through and export those patches and know full well that I am safe for now and forever. It's a known good, fully functional patch and I can recall it at any time forever and ever....or at least until we get into the 20's. :)

Seriously this sounds like an extremely cool feature.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This release supports a new preset dump format known as “Preset + User Cab”. This format dumps the preset plus any User Cab IRs used in the preset as a single file. This facilitates sharing presets that use User Cabs. For more information see the Axe-Edit help.

QUOTE]

that I really like

and damn I didnt even get a chance to load 18.10 this time

Sweet! No more now-where-the-fuck-did-I-put-that-IR moments when importing presets. :)

I don't use the cab block anymore so no big whoop here. But it sure seems like a great way for people to store their presets in a complete format that will give them ultimate security in backup. Pretty cool there.

Of course, it also seems like an even easier way for people to share 3rd party IRs in a very expedient way, which is a bummer. And it's definitely going to happen even faster now.

But I guess take the good with the bad, right?

I know that it is not a priority at the moment, but it had been pointed out by many people already. I'm sure many of us would agree that there must be a way to exchange patches between XL, XL+ and II. I would take this feature any day and every day over preset+cab exporting. For example, Axe-Edit can save a given preset in Axe-Fx 2 format by default, if it is "feasible". If not, it can give a warning on the screen, something of the sort "Preset not compatible with Axe-Fx II, exporting as Axe-Fx II XL preset". Just a suggestion.

I don't use the cab block anymore so no big whoop here. But it sure seems like a great way for people to store their presets in a complete format that will give them ultimate security in backup. Pretty cool there.

Of course, it also seems like an even easier way for people to share 3rd party IRs in a very expedient way, which is a bummer. And it's definitely going to happen even faster now.

But I guess take the good with the bad, right?

Actually I don't think this should make a difference. Anyone with little enough integrity can share commercial IRs right now. It's not going to be "easier" with the new function. It's always been up to the individual's honor and integrity. Nothing prevents one to acquire or distribute things illegally.

It's not even like OH is going to spend money on a lawyer to chase after Joe Blow because he shared an IR. I guess we just have to agree to keep it all within the bounds of legality and personal ethics.

Actually I don't think this should make a difference. Anyone with little enough integrity can share commercial IRs right now. It's not going to be "easier" with the new function. It's always been up to the individual's honor and integrity. Nothing prevents one to acquire or distribute things illegally.

I agree. I think it's a bit over-reaction.

It's just as easy now to upload a commercial IR as it is to upload a preset with the IR 'baked in'. There really is no difference.

Back
Top Bottom