Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.11 Released

Sure people can distribute all they want. This just lowers the effort curve that much more. Like I said, super cool function for the positive stuff anyway.

And besides, there are more commercial IR makers than OH out there. I get people who ask me to "trade" 3rd party IRs all the time. I just tell them to kiss off, of course, but the basic function of the problem is that a lot of people don't even see it as depriving somebody of meaningful income. Sad but true.

This release supports a new preset dump format known as “Preset + User Cab”. This format dumps the preset plus any User Cab IRs used in the preset as a single file. This facilitates sharing presets that use User Cabs. For more information see the Axe-Edit help.

I have so many questions regarding this. F.ex. I created presets for Cab Pack 7 last November that sounded really good but with the current firmware are unusable because there are so many changes happening in the Axe-Fx. (I would say the Axe-Fx has a short preset life cycle if you always want to use the newest firmware.) Does this new method mean that there will no longer be changes to the amp simulation of the Axe-Fx or do these presets save the sound from that firmware and are you able to use your older presets properly?

As an IR producer you might've guessed that I'm concerned. Aren't like 90% of all these user cab slots filled with IRs that are illegal to share?

Sure people can distribute all they want. This just lowers the effort curve that much more. Like I said, super cool function for the positive stuff anyway.

And besides, there are more commercial IR makers than OH out there. I get people who ask me to "trade" 3rd party IRs all the time. I just tell them to kiss off, of course, but the basic function of the problem is that a lot of people don't even see it as depriving somebody of meaningful income. Sad but true.

I think a lot of people are going to do it inadvertently even, not realizing that the patch they just shared also happened to include a Clark Kent IR they were using.....

I think most people are honest enough they wouldn't go upload the Cabs in the Attic zip file to a sharing site, but, what about just the one 4x12 Beatle IR they like...... hmmm

Likewise, is there really going to be any honor system from people downloading ? Am I going to see someone that has a cool sounding preset and say "wait... this preset uses an IR from a pack I didn't purchase, I shouldn't D/L it..." Course not, people are going to be like "hey cool, another free IR"

Its a cool feature for sharing user made stuff, but I'm darn glad I'm not in the business of trying to sell IR's

The purpose of the new dump type is this:
There are IR producers who are working on "bundles". These bundles are IRs and accompanying presets. You load the bundled preset and IR together.
To some extent this is getting us closer to having the amp block's speaker resonance values be more associated with the IR. Definitely a good move I think!

I think a lot of people are going to do it inadvertently even, not realizing that the patch they just shared also happened to include a Clark Kent IR they were using.....

I think most people are honest enough they wouldn't go upload the Cabs in the Attic zip file to a sharing site, but, what about just the one 4x12 Beatle IR they like...... hmmm

Likewise, is there really going to be any honor system from people downloading ? Am I going to see someone that has a cool sounding preset and say "wait... this preset uses an IR from a pack I didn't purchase, I shouldn't D/L it..." Course not, people are going to be like "hey cool, another free IR"

Its a cool feature for sharing user made stuff, but I'm darn glad I'm not in the business of trying to sell IR's

This is precisely my point. Right now it's at least a three-part process if you want to use a commercial IR that somebody else used to make a custom preset. There is a person-to-person question necessary to establish that a certain IR was loaded into the slot. They have to DL the preset. Then the IR. Then load the IR into the preset. It's a willful act to do this that can't be fudged. Now, with this technology, anybody who DLs a preset is going to have instant access to the IR. It's quick and dirty and done. Pronto.

It already sucked trying to make money making IRs. Now, at least for this product, it's going to suck even more.

Just because a button is big, red and shiny doesn't mean you should press it.

self-destruct-button.jpg

This is precisely my point. Right now it's at least a three-part process if you want to use a commercial IR that somebody else used to make a custom preset. There is a person-to-person question necessary to establish that a certain IR was loaded into the slot. They have to DL the preset. Then the IR. Then load the IR into the preset. It's a willful act to do this that can't be fudged. Now, with this technology, anybody who DLs a preset is going to have instant access to the IR. It's quick and dirty and done. Pronto.

It already sucked trying to make money making IRs. Now, at least for this product, it's going to suck even more.

Seems it also would bring up an interesting issue for the person posting any presets as well. From my understanding, when you purchase a CabPack, OH product etc, your agreeing that you won't distribute it right ?

Well, if you share a preset you made using a 3rd party IR, are you effectively distributing that IR ?

If I had my guess , Cliff has thought this through and there's a great plan behind it , Just chillax guys, don't panic, this thread looks to be trying to create a problem that very probably doesn't exist !

has anyone actaully tried the export feature to confirm how it works? I wont get a chance till sunday so am curious

does it actaully store the IR as a seperate file in your user cabs or is it locked to the preset ?

has anyone actaully tried the export feature to confirm how it works? I wont get a chance till sunday so am curious

does it actaully store the IR as a seperate file in your user cabs or is it locked to the preset ?

it doesn't work yet. read cliff's comments in this thread.

Well, if you share a preset you made using a 3rd party IR, are you effectively distributing that IR ?

Yep, that's if you choose to share your preset that has the IR baked in.

It sounds like this new "preset + cab IR" saving method is an additional way to save you presets on top the current standard way; it didn't sound like this would become the new 'standard' way of saving presets.

People would need to be careful to only upload presets that are still saved in the current way - without the cab IR baked in, unless they are 100% sure they are uploaded a preset that uses a factory cab or a freely available user IR.

I can understand the concerns of IR producers as it it makes it easier for people to forget what cabs they have used in their presets and unintentionally uploaded an 'illegal' preset; however, I don't think it's any worse than what people can currently do now. Time will tell.

it doesn't work yet. read cliff's comments in this thread.

Ah cheers. I'm at work so skimming a bit

part of fractals business is selling IR's. Im sure cliff isnt going to add features to hurt his own business and the peopel supplying the ir's

Ive always wondered though is an IR actaully copyrightable ?

I guess perhaps now instead of paying to buy IR packs, we might buy preset packs which included both an amp model and an accompanying IR. I would suppose then if you buy a commercial preset you wouldn't be allow to go and share that. Maybe switching from one business model to the next.....

I don't think its trying to create a problem, but I think its a valid issue still.

As it currently stands, I am not allowed to go and post a thread in the preset subforum that has my preset and then also go and include a CK IR file. Clark wouldn't be too happy about, (right Clark ?) Yet then what would be the difference if I posted a preset that contained the IR file with it ?

I don't want to devalue his work, so if I was to want to share a patch I made, would I then need to go and switch the IR from my user one back to a factory, if I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong ?

Who is the burden going to be on ? The downloader to only click on stuff they already have the rights to use, OR, on the uploader, to not share a preset that may have a commercial IR file with it ?

Again, I don't make a dime off this stuff, but have been happy to support CK, Kevin at OH etc. The very reason we've got so many awesome IR's now is in a large part because they spent the time shooting them and perfecting them. Only reason I imagine they wanted to take that time is because they got some profit out of it, right Clark and Kevin ?

Do we expect to see these guys spend more time making additional IR packs if they see sales reduced and people able to distribution their IR's ? I'd hope not.

I guess perhaps now instead of paying to buy IR packs, we might buy preset packs which included both an amp model and an accompanying IR. I would suppose then if you buy a commercial preset you wouldn't be allow to go and share that. Maybe switching from one business model to the next.....

I feel this may be close to the money. a potential shift towards a preset pack system more like kemper does maybe ? which I would actually be in favour of .At this point I'd much rather buy a pack of high quality , tone matched ,IR matched , ready to go presets than hundreds of IR's to sort through . at this point I feel a little worn out with limitless IR options .I have 8 or 9 full packs now from various makers. I feel like if i cant get a sound I like not having the right IR isnt the problem

Last edited:
I think it's great-firstly it is an option I assume I can still export presets. Secondly I don't have to worry about moving cabs around if I want to and I do "not" have to remember which cab I used for a preset I liked-

Cool

Well, any mighty IR collection pack now is one zip file, just like they have been all the time. And you still don't share them, why would you start giving them away now.

The purpose of the new dump type is this:
There are IR producers who are working on "bundles". These bundles are IRs and accompanying presets. You load the bundled preset and IR together. To do this you open the file with Axe-Edit which loads the preset and the included IRs. The included IRs are initially loaded into the scratchpad locations. You audition the preset. If you like it you can save it. When you save it Axe-Edit will prompt you where to save the preset AND where to save the included IRs.

on lunch now and actually got to read all the posts .I like this idea

Back
Top Bottom