Axe-Fx II Firmware 17.02 Released

The amp models included in this firmware update are giving me wood. Bravo, Cliff!
Such classy choices. A Brown Super, a Brown Concert, and a Rt. 66. All low to mid gain
tone monsters. Thanks for the tip of the hat to us lower gain players!

Low gain players with SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE JUDA'S PRIEST Avatar ?! [emoji15]

A word of caution - my upgrade from 17 to 17.02 erased/unlinked the modifiers on the main page of the amp block in axe edit. The modifier I attached on the last tab, to saturation, was not erased after the upgrade.

I gotta say, those are three choice amps to include. And for posterity, the Dr. Z Route 66 uses the same preamp and tonestack as a few other Dr. Z amps- the Z/28 and the KT-45. The Z/28 uses 6v6s, and the KT uses EL-34s, so change the tube types over, and... voila! This is a 5 amp update!

To be fair, I'm not sure if the OT interactions with the tubes, impedances, magic smoke/mojo whatever actually matches, but you should be able to get pretty close to a few really great Z amps with this one model!

For the umpteenth time,

Thanks Cliff!

Reactions: yek
Strange thing with the Hwy66... Getting very little difference in gain when the input drive is on 5 or turned up to 8. Then going up to 10, the gain actually drops. Just a basic patch with everything on default, the amp and the Basketweave TV F103.

Strange thing with the Hwy66... Getting very little difference in gain when the input drive is on 5 or turned up to 8. Then going up to 10, the gain actually drops. Just a basic patch with everything on default, the amp and the Basketweave TV F103.

Does fiddling with the eq affect this at all? In the real amp, the gain is very dependent on the level of the treble and bass controls. Sorry- I'd try the patch myself, but I'm not in front of my axe at the moment...
Edit: oops, that link isn't a patch!

Holy Shit Bags ... Not one to comment frivolously, so when I say this was astounding, it comes from the heart (and ears). True passion in this, Mr. Mitchell.

The same thing happened for me with that amp. Not complaining though - I have never been able to turn a real Dr Z up to '10' before...

Details also added to: Amp: all models - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Note that these models have Presence controls.

The Super sounds great when slightly overdriven. Crank its Input Level and decrease Bass.

Just A/B'd the new Super and Concert. Neither breaks up very quickly, at least w/ the single coils on my PRS. Dime the drive and you get a mild, but very musical overdrive that's fantastic in the neck and in-between positions. Increase input trim if that's not enough for you. The Concert is noticeably warmer and fuller to my ears. Love it!

I've noticed the same messing with it today , I think it's a great sounding amp ,but the breakup doesn't change much all the way through the drive range , just gets thinner as it's turned down ,( I did however have the treble cranked and bass around 2 o'clock) I turned off the bright switch and the Drive range goes from clean to gritty , but its very dark. I've never played through a Route 66 or actually heard one , so it may be the nature of the beast.

I've noticed the same messing with it today , I think it's a great sounding amp ,but the breakup doesn't change much all the way through the drive range , just gets thinner as it's turned down ,( I did however have the treble cranked and bass around 2 o'clock) I turned off the bright switch and the Drive range goes from clean to gritty , but its very dark. I've never played through a Route 66 or actually heard one , so it may be the nature of the beast.

I considered that too. Might be by design. Regardless, it's great clean or with just a little breakup.

Back
Top Bottom