Axe-Fx II Firmware 17.00 Released

How about people stop determining for others what "matters" when it comes to the creation of music? Some of you don't care what the preamps are modeled on? Fine. Don't sit there and tell those of us that would like to know, as points of reference, that it "doesn't matter." How would it negatively effect any of you in the least if what they're modeled on was made known?

Cliff made his stance known on it; that's fine. It's his company and his hardware, he can make whatever determination he wants.

That doesn't state anything at all about what I was asking about except "Maybe." Which, if anything, implies that they are modeled on real world preamps.

It says that he's not stating what preamps are modeled & why. That's all the REAL info there is on this. If that's not good enough., PM Cliff.

Last edited:
How about people stop determining for others what "matters" when it comes to the creation of music? Some of you don't care what the preamps are modeled on? Fine. Don't sit there and tell those of us that would like to know, as points of reference, that it "doesn't matter." How would it negatively effect any of you in the least if what they're modeled on was made known?

Cliff made his stance known on it; that's fine. It's his company and his hardware, he can make whatever determination he wants.

I would like to know too, but only out of curiosity. I already know which ones I like so it won't matter at all as far as me dialing in my sounds. Many of the amps in the Axe I have never even heard of let alone played through. That also doesn't stop me from trying them & using them to get the sounds I want. To be honest, the amps I have the most real world experience with are not my favorite Axe models.

Last edited:
It says that he's not stating what preamps are modeled & why. That's all the REAL info there is on this. If that's not good enough., PM Cliff.

I think you've completely missed what I was replying to. The comment I was replying to was that the preamps are not even modeled on actual units. And, as you said, the link you provided is all the info there is, so thank you for backing me up on the fact that it hasn't even been implied that they're not based on real units. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I don't know why I'd have to PM Cliff.

Shift presence switch incon not appearing

I downloaded firmware 17 which seem to have transfered fine. But I notice the icon for the shift presence switch under the Presence knob for the USA amps isn't there on both my Ax fx II and Ax editor. What I found to be strange is this icon did appear once and I may have changed presets and on both units it disappeared again. I also have blanks for the preamps in the cab blocks. Hope both of these are simple fixes and operator error. Help somebody

I think you've completely missed what I was replying to. The comment I was replying to was that the preamps are not even modeled on actual units. And, as you said, the link you provided is all the info there is, so thank you for backing me up on the fact that it hasn't even been implied that they're not based on real units. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I don't know why I'd have to PM Cliff.

I just meant to PM Cliff to see if he might give you more info on the pres. He did say in a post where he put up a recording using the new pres before 17 was released that the 3 band EQ was based on a classic Neve. Other than that, it's only a guess as to whether they are based on actual hardware or simulations he created. Either way, they sound great.

In the book of common sense.

You can pretend that that actually makes sense if you'd like, but it's really just meaningless snark. There's absolutely nothing about assuming that the preamps aren't modeled on real units that's common sense, especially considering, as pointed out, Cliff's only reply was "maybe."

Last edited:
You can pretend that that actually makes sense if you'd like, but it's really just meaningless snark. There's absolutely nothing about assuming that the preamps aren't modeled on real units that's common sense, especially considering, as pointed out, Kurt's only reply was "maybe."

No need to pretend at all. I interpreted Iaresee's post differently than you I guess. We all know when Cliff models an amp he gets the schematics, and in the majority of the cases the actual amp itself. So the book of common sense tells me Cliff didn't go this route at all when creating the preamp models for several reasons that I would think should be obvious. So I would think he based (and yes this is an assumption on my part) some off of the most popular preamps that have a lot of documentation that is readily available and others off off variants by just using his ears and making mods. In other words a mixing of both real world examples and virtual creations of his own.

So you can pass off my comment as meaningless snark all you want but it actuality was just stating what is obvious to me. As someone who has yet to see the irony of your own numerous posts telling others how they have no right to tell others how to think and express themselves I wouldn't expect you to understand.

And who is Kurt?

Last edited:
That's not common sense, that's, exactly as you eluded to, assumption.

Do you honestly think Cliff purchased all those consoles and had them shipped and then stored somewhere so he could model them like he does the amps? Sorry, but common sense tells me otherwise. Sometimes assumptions are based on common sense. Go figure.

Oh, by all means, fill me in on what irony you see there. Just because I don't think some people should dictate to others what information they want about what they're using to make their music, that does not mean that I have to automatically just sit back and say, "Hmmm. You know, he's implying that I'm lacking common sense based on nothing but his assumptions. Eh, he's just expressing himself; I'll just take it on the cheek."

I said I wouldn't expect you to understand and you don't so we'll just leave it at that. I have no intention of searching out the many posts over your history here that I have personally found pompous and arrogant. We have had our issues with one another in the past and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I guess it comes down to that I just don't like you, or at the very least the person you come across as on the forum.

I'll just place you on ignore and be done with it.

I said I wouldn't expect you to understand and you don't so we'll just leave it at that. I have no intention of searching out the many posts over your history here that I have personally found pompous and arrogant. We have had our issues with one another in the past and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I guess it comes down to that I just don't like you, or at the very least the person you come across as on the forum.

I'll just place you on ignore and be done with it.

That's pretty funny, considering the element of this forum that I usually have a hard time stomaching is the way that a certain segment of it pompously attempts to belittle and impose their own beliefs upon others.

But, yes, let's just part ways, because obviously we don't see eye to eye on a great many things.

That's pretty funny, considering the element of this forum that I usually have a hard time stomaching is the way that a certain segment of it pompously attempts to belittle and impose their own beliefs upon others.

And yet you do the very exact same thing to those you have a hard time stomaching. Arrrrghhhhh! So maybe you do see the irony? :lol

But, yes, let's just part ways, because obviously we don't see eye to eye on a great many things.

Done

And yet you do the very exact same thing to those you have a hard time stomaching. Arrrrghhhhh! So maybe you do see the irony? :lol

Shooting someone in self defense or in defense of others is not "the very exact same thing" as murdering someone in cold blood. So, no, not ironic.

Back on topic.
Here's something I'm wondering:

I use Slate VCC across all my tracks when I record. Since the new preamps do basically the same thing in the Axe, I'm wondering if I should refrain from putting VCC on my guitar tracks now. I guess only time will tell, but, for those of us who already have preamp emulation VSTs that we use regularly, it's going to be interesting to see how that works out.

Personnaly I don t care about the strong links or refrences with the real pre amps.
What just makes sense for me is more to have some guidlines to initiate our usage of these great tools in the box , regarding to music style types, amp types, cabs etc

Having from FAS more of that would be great with our best toy.

Maybe.

I'm tired of chasing the past. It's time to create the present and the future. Everyone is hung up on recreating rather than creating. Chasing 30-year old tones. Meh.

You've got the biggest box of tools ever created for the guitarist. Every color and brush imaginable. Forget paint-by-numbers. Create your own masterpiece.

+1000 Cliff.

That is why I bought this unit instead of anything else on the market, so that I could create new sounds and take sounds from the past that liked but with my own twist on them.

Back on topic.
Here's something I'm wondering:

I use Slate VCC across all my tracks when I record. Since the new preamps do basically the same thing in the Axe, I'm wondering if I should refrain from putting VCC on my guitar tracks now. I guess only time will tell, but, for those of us who already have preamp emulation VSTs that we use regularly, it's going to be interesting to see how that works out.

I've done some preliminary A/B with Slate VCC and some UAD plugs.

The concept of the preamp and console EQ in the Fractal is great. But for me, the useful range of the drive and saturation could use some refinement. Once the preamp vu crosses the 0 point on the Fractal, the distortion sounds harsher than the plugins I regularly use.

Not a knock on the Fractal. I just find the drive and saturation controls have a limited range, 5 and under, or it doesn't sound good for what I do.

Back
Top Bottom