Axe-Fx II Firmware 17.00 Released

The Extreme mode on the Mark V is based on the Lead Channel of the Mark IV with the presence knob pushed in. It lowers the negative feedback and makes the amp much more aggressive and louder. Set the new presence shift in the USA Lead models to off.

Thx, gotta try that. I was under the impression that the low frequencies were also increased compared to the Mark IV mode but i'm not too familiar with the originals of those amps.

BTW new firmware is amazing as always!

10 is the correct value now. Internally it's lower because the presence network reduces the loop gain.

If your preset sounds dark turn up the Presence. Also experiment with the Presence Shift switch.

The models replicate my reference amps very accurately.

Thanks for the response Cliff. :)

Turning the Negative Feedback back down to it's previous default also gets rid of the mud and sounds better to my ears than turning the Presence up.

The Extreme mode on the Mark V is based on the Lead Channel of the Mark IV with the presence knob pushed in. It lowers the negative feedback and makes the amp much more aggressive and louder. Set the new presence shift in the USA Lead models to off.

But before this update, when there wasn't a Presence Shift, wouldn't the USA Lead amp sims have been modeled with the Presence control pushed in already? I think so since the default setting now is with the Shift not activated (same as pushed in on the real amp).

My point is that your telling him to set the Presence Shift to off on the USA Leads, when it already is off and has always been set to off on those models. If that's all the Extreme mode is (Mark IV with the Presence pushed in), then at their default settings, that's what the USA Lead amp sims already are. Which, if what your saying about the negative feedback being lowered when the Presence is pushed is true, doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the default value for the Negative Feedback control is now the maximum - 10.00 (not to mention the USA Lead models get quieter when you lower the NF, not louder).

So if pushing in the Presence control on the Mark IV = Extreme mode & does lower the negative feedback, then theoretically, all you would have to do to achieve that with the USA Lead amp models if lower the NF control (maybe back to the old default value -2.50, which imho sounds better than it being on 10.00). But I think there probably more to it than that.

But before this update, when there wasn't a Presence Shift, wouldn't the USA Lead amp sims have been modeled with the Presence control pushed in already? I think so since the default setting now is with the Shift not activated (same as pushed in on the real amp).

My point is that your telling him to set the Presence Shift to off on the USA Leads, when it already is off and has always been set to off on those models. If that's all the Extreme mode is (Mark IV with the Presence pushed in), then at their default settings, that's what the USA Lead amp sims already are. Which, if what your saying about the negative feedback being lowered when the Presence is pushed is true, doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the default value for the Negative Feedback control is now the maximum - 10.00 (not to mention the USA Lead models get quieter when you lower the NF, not louder).

So if pushing in the Presence control on the Mark IV = Extreme mode & does lower the negative feedback, then theoretically, all you would have to do to achieve that with the USA Lead amp models if lower the NF control (maybe back to the old default value -2.50, which imho sounds better than it being on 10.00). But I think there probably more to it than that.

The old presence algorithm was an approximation. The new one is exact so the advice is worth trying.

I have a Mark V but I've never tried the Extreme mode. Maybe I'll lug it out and see if I can figure out what it is.

FWIW, my Mark IV was sitting here so I did a Tone Match with NF at 2.5 and 10. Here it is at 2.5:

markiv_2p5.jpg

and here it is at 10:

markiv_10.jpg

As you can see it's very accurate at 10, not so much at 2.5. But that's the beauty of the Axe-Fx. You can make it sound better than the amp. At 2.5 the model is a lot brighter than the real amp. I suspect you've lost a lot of high-end in your hearing and that's why you like it better.

The old presence algorithm was an approximation. The new one is exact so the advice is worth trying.

I have a Mark V but I've never tried the Extreme mode. Maybe I'll lug it out and see if I can figure out what it is.

FWIW, my Mark IV was sitting here so I did a Tone Match with NF at 2.5 and 10. Here it is at 2.5:

markiv_2p5.jpg

and here it is at 10:

markiv_10.jpg

As you can see it's very accurate at 10, not so much at 2.5. But that's the beauty of the Axe-Fx. You can make it sound better than the amp. At 2.5 the model is a lot brighter than the real amp. I suspect you've lost a lot of high-end in your hearing and that's why you like it better.

Now THAT's customer service.
Also good to know as a guy that's been trying to get comfy with the Mk models.

I have no idea how any of this new stuff works and even doubt ill use any of it.....but im updating anyways!

Maybe, I do like a bright tone (well, a clear, non-muddy tone is probably more accurate), but whenever one of those frequency detection hearing tests get posted somewhere, I am usually able to hear higher tones than the average person, so maybe not. ;)

So i'm going to load 17 today. I'm not at the stage where i want to retain my programming/presets to this point. It makes more sense to start clean at this point for me.
So what i want to do, is ensure that i can put the Axe into the very same state that an Axe now leaves the factory in, with 17.
Some of my settings will be retained, will they not? I would rather overwrite any of my modifications i have made to the Axe up to this point.
What is the easiest path to achieving this, or close to this? I'm getting excited... TIA.

Share this preset. Okay ??
Mind sharing the model of the bass also ;) Sounds sweet

Thanks! It's a Yamaha TRB 1005J, not a particularly expensive bass but I consider it a lucky find. I went into my local music store a while back to get some strings, tried it out of curiosity and left with it. Plays and sounds like a more expensive bass to me. Before that I had a Musicman Sub (bass is my 2nd instrument, I play guitar mainly) and the Yamaha is streets ahead for me.

I'll try and save out the patch (haven't done that before although I've backed up the entire Axe FX a couple of times, I assume it's a similar process).

I have an XL though so it would require that. I should say though that it's based on a patch I found here originally and then tweaked to suit my bass/playing style, I'm using a pick in the clip I posted. The part with the overdrive is the Rat type.

View attachment 24065

WOW! what a great update FAS guys. USA lead sounds awesome. Also pvhII 6160 sounds awesome too. I can't believe that this just keeps getting better. I have finals tomorrow and sunday and I keep getting distracted. UGH!!!

Quick reactions:

The Economy vs. High Quality setting on the preamp in the CAB block is drastically different. It's not really like the setting on the Reverb block where setting it to High results in a slight improvement.

The Sdd preamp is a great addition but I haven't found its distinct qualities over the FET boost which I think most were using to similate the SDD3000 preamp. Equivalent FET settings include bumping the gain and level controls and they sound the same even though the Sdd is using an op-amp.

Love the VU meters.

Back
Top Bottom