Axe-Fx II Firmware 17.00 Released

"The level of the USB input signal when NOT routed to the input (when Main Input Source is NOT set to USB) has been reduced by 6 dB to prevent clipping when playing along with tracks that have been mastered at very high levels (near 0 dBFS)."

While this is seemingly insignificant relative to all of the tone related items, this is actually very welcomed by me. Thanks.

Typically not however newer AE's are usually released fairly quickly after a new FW release.

New types of amps, cabs, or effects are usually available for selection, however, new adjustable parameters are not. The Axe Edit team has to add "knobs and switches" to the screen. So, anything new like that has to be adjusted on the AXE FX front panel itself.

I also think real reference names would be handy. Theres simply not enough time to audition each and every thing on the AXE and if you know what sound you are looking for - names let you find it faster.

Reference points, like names for things like preamps, are handy, especially when these are things that are almost certainly going to be used in conjunction with VSTs in the box that serve a similar purpose. Of course it comes down to what sounds best, but I don't see how giving people information that could be used to save time is a bad thing.
Absolutely! Plus, half the fun of new stuff for me is reading up about the real-world counterparts, how people use them, the history etc which has really increased my knowledge of guitardom over the years I've had the Axe. Also, it will stop people asking for stuff they already have (but don't know they have it). So please, please spill the beans Cliff!

I also think real reference names would be handy. Theres simply not enough time to audition each and every thing on the AXE and if you know what sound you are looking for - names let you find it faster.

It is not always permissible to use a brand name that would make it obvious to you. I have the distinct advantage of never having used any of the mic pre's or 96% of the amps or cabs that are now loaded in this box. Therefore, scrolling through things and turning knobs is all I got. I keep scrolling and turning until I like it...then I stop. About the only aspect of "names" that end up being meaningful to me personally, are 1x8, 2x10, 2x12, 4x10, 4x12. Pairing unlikely mates between amps and cabs has caused me to stumble upon unique sounds that I would have never otherwise found, if I sought to pair Marshall Heads with Marshall cabs, without breaking those ties.

You've got the biggest box of tools ever created for the guitarist. Every color and brush imaginable. Forget paint-by-numbers. Create your own masterpiece.

Exactly why I love the AFX and the FAS amps. While do get inspired from iconic tones over the last few decades, I'm more interested in looking forward and creating tones that are impossible to get from conventional amps. I know guys who spend $700 for a NOS Mullard 12AX7 tube and $1,000 for 50 year old speakers that were in a Vox AC30 to get 'that tone', and, while it does sound good, I don't think it's 'worth' it...not even close.

It is not always permissible to use a brand name that would make it obvious to you. I have the distinct advantage of never having used any of the mic pre's or 96% of the amps or cabs that are now loaded in this box. Therefore, scrolling through things and turning knobs is all I got. I keep scrolling and turning until I like it...then I stop. About the only aspect of "names" that end up being meaningful to me personally, are 1x8, 2x10, 2x12, 4x10, 4x12. Pairing unlikely mates between amps and cabs has caused me to stumble upon unique sounds that I would have never otherwise found, if I sought to pair Marshall Heads with Marshall cabs, without breaking those ties.

There are always ways to rename these things so that they're obvious, but don't cross any lines with regard to legality.

You have officially exceeded all of my expectations. I am now in the "very happy that I bought an Axe-FX II" mental state.

Thank you FAS!

There are always ways to rename these things so that they're obvious, but don't cross any lines with regard to legality.

Well, this is where my humble and sheltered upbringing plays to my advantage. The release notes could have read "Add the BR549er pre-amp Ted Templeman used on VH1 and 2, and the DeltaXrayRobert452 pre-amp that Ron Nevison made famous. When you use them both, you perforate the space-time continuum and go into the 4th dimension."

I would have to flick between those two stellar models, and choose the one I preferred.

And so I press on....with all possible dispatch.

The beauty of being on this side of the world that new FW usually drops like 7am my time here... so I can postpone a few meetings to tomorrow and irritate the shite out of my neighbors.

Thanks!!!

thanks as always, now new 17 plus Clark cabs I bought (yes the set) I have to get rid of my family and work for a few weeks; oh damn I need to build a new bbq I just got, too. Wonder if my wife yells at me while that blocks the garage, and Im jamming away. Ill just tell her Ive got to check the new voltometers and flux capacitors in the fractal, Im sure she will understand...

Quote Originally Posted by FractalAudio View Post
Here are the release notes to whet your Pavlovian appetites:

************************************************** *****************************

Added preamp simulation to Cabinet block. The simulations recreate the sound of overdriven channel strips, preamps, tapes, etc. The Drive parameter controls the gain of the simulation. The Sat parameter controls the ratio of even/odd harmonics. The Preamp Mode parameter (on Page 2) allows selecting between Economy and High Quality modes. In High Quality mode oversampling is employed to prevent aliasing but this results in higher CPU usage.

Sorry if you answered this before, but if IRs already have preamp/channel saturation baked into them, would engaging this be redundant? Or is this the modeling of nonlinear characteristics of overdriven Pres?

Also would this be applied 'before' the IR or 'after'?

Back
Top Bottom