Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.03 Released

Fast and furious, no one beats FAS for updates and improvements! Danke, Cliff!

Improved Reverb block. There are now two “Quality” options in the Reverb block: Normal and High. Normal quality CPU usage is similar to previous firmwares whilst still providing improved sound quality. High quality uses significantly more CPU but provides world-class reverberation algorithms. There are several new parameters associated with the new algorithms:
Early Diffusion: This sets the amount of diffusion in the early reflections. Higher values result in fuzzier and less distinct echoes. Lower values result in sharp, distinct reflections.
Early Diff Time: This scales the delay time of the early reflections diffusers. Adjust this control to suit the size and character of the simulated environment.
Early Decay: This parameter controls the decay rate of the early reflections. Higher values yield faster decay.
The Tail Delay parameter has been removed as it is not compatible with the new algorithms. The reverb tail is now automatically set to the appropriate delay.
In High Quality reverb mode an additional parameter is available: Late Input Mix. This parameter controls the mix between the (possibly diffused) input and the early reflections data input to the late reverb algorithm. Thus this parameter mixes the output of the diffuser and the early reflections prior to inputting that data to the late reverb generator. With the Late Input Mix at 0% the High Quality mode is identical to the Normal Quality mode. Values greater than 0% mix early reflections data into the late reverb using a proprietary decorrelation technique which eliminates any metallic qualities associated with the typical diffuser techniques used in other products.
Improved Reverb types based on the new algorithms. Several new types have been added.
Increased maximum Reverb Time to 100 seconds and added a Hold function. When Hold is activated the wet input to the block is muted and the Time is set to infinity. This can be used to achieve pad sounds and drone notes/chords.
Added stereo UltraResTM capability to Cabinet block. To utilize this feature set the Mode parameter to “Stereo UltraRes”. When in this mode non-UltraRes IRs are processes in normal resolution whereas UltraRes IRs are processed using the UltraRes engine.
Four of the factory cabinet IRs have been replaced with newly acquired UltraResTM IRs. These are factory cabs 69-72 (Kalthallen V30 cabs). These IRs are available on the internet from Kalthallen’s website. For reference the four cab filenames are:
028c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"
029c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"
030c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"
031c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"
Improved “Pedal Comp 2” compressor algorithm.
Fixed several errors in the Mr Z MZ-38 model.

Brilliant! The possibility to have ducking reverb with the previous firmware was already great, I can't wait to try the new algorithms. Thank you FAS team for continuous improvement and for listening your customers. F&#@g great company!

Great work guys!! Can't wait to download and try it out (after my Saturday gig of course ;) ) Great decision on replacing the Kalthallen cabs...best all around choice I think. Thank you!!

....Four of the factory cabinet IRs have been replaced with newly acquired UltraResTM IRs. These are factory cabs 69-72 (Kalthallen V30 cabs). These IRs are available on the internet from Kalthallen’s website. For reference the four cab filenames are:

028c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"
029c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"
030c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"
031c-SM7-V30-4x12.dat"

For anyone interested, here's the direct download link for the Axe-Fx sys files zip folder from Kalthallen’s website (link to the actual download page is below it):

http://db.tt/o0SdaxKp

Kalthallen Cabs

Cliff, there are 2 versions of each IR in the Kalthallen zip folder - "Solid" & "Tube" (referring to the kind of power amp used in creating the IR's). What versions were in the Axe-Fx II prior to 16.03, Solid or Tube?

Last edited:
Cough, cough... I think I'm coming down with something and need to go home early from work :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And now the wait for another AE update begins :( But, I think I may just upgrade immediately for once seeing how there are no significant amp changes.
Thanks FAS!

Back
Top Bottom