Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

Used the old sound pressure meter to optimize the decibel levels for my speakers ... all I can say is at around 100dB, you can feel your strings vibrating from the pick strike against your belly and feel the pulsing of a tube amp in the air. It's so real, it's real.

Couldn't play long today and got stuck on the 5153 Red ... thanks for this Cliff and all!

OK, i'm ready for the plunge. Funny though, 16.02 is 400 KBytes smaller than 16.01 (in zip form) - is that as it should be? :eek-new:

OK, i'm ready for the plunge. Funny though, 16.02 is 400 KBytes smaller than 16.01 (in zip form) - is that as it should be? :eek-new:

Comparing compressed file sizes tells you nothing. Really, comparing file sizes for binary data files that are *supposed* to contain different content tells you nothing.

Used this FW at practice tonight. The other guitar player said various combinations of "wow" and "that sounds great" several times during the evening. I played almost every song with a Twin Reverb set slightly dirty, with some breakup when you dig in. When I needed clean, I'd just back the volume off. When I needed extra oomph, I would just turn up the guitar. Hit the drive for any solos that needed extra zing.

I brought my full set gear home from the rehearsal space to tweak my tones up properly. The PA exposes a little more hair on them than my monitors at home. I'm sure it's just that Fletcher-Munson jerk again.

I'm glad I booked tomorrow off. :)

EDIT : Here's the patch in case anyone wants to take it for a spin. I used it mostly with the neck pickup (SD 59) in my Charvel (Alder body/Maple neck).

http://members.shaw.ca/hellbat/TwinVerb_SD1.syx

The Cab used is TAF_Fen_MIX_ROOM, present in the UltraRes samples folder of the firmware. Set the input trim to where it breaks up a bit with the guitar wide open and cleans up by 75-80%. Scene 1 is amp/cab/spring. Scene 2 has OD on top. Scene 3 is clean with chorus in front of the amp. Scene 4 is OD/Delay.

Last edited:
I'm really liking the Recto Modern in 16.01, for some stuff i'm working on. Has anyone tried the Recto Modern in 16.02?
Wadda ya think? Just as "brutal, but in a nice way" as it was in 16.01?

Last edited:
Ok my 2nd stop in this thread, but seriously, for the love of all that is good, this firmware is Unbelievable. Cliff whatever direction that mind is taking you now it's spot on man, so freaking good, love the new Noise Gate, love the new AC Voltage, and the other tweaks, plus Axe Edit is working flawless again.

OMG!!!! OMG!!! :hororr:

<<Added AC voltage control to Amp block. This parameter, called “AC Voltage (Variac)” in the Advanced menu sets the relative AC line voltage into the amp simulation implementing a virtual “Variac”. Note that normally the volume would vary with the Variac setting in a real amp but the simulation compensates for the volume change by applying the inverse. This mitigates having to manually compensate using the Output Level.>>

I was thinking about asking for that!!! :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement:

New expanders? Awesome. Reverb ducking? Super-awesome!

It's nice to see more and more updates adding new features to the effects blocks instead of amp-algo-only updates. :)

Time to revisit dem presets...

Didn't unfortunately have this WOW feeling while going through rehearsal yesterday night, things seems to have smoothed a bit too much to my taste, had a few volume issues also. Maybe try a new installation of the FW.
Is it necessary to do amps updates ?
Cheers

Didn't unfortunately have this WOW feeling while going through rehearsal yesterday night, things seems to have smoothed a bit too much to my taste, had a few volume issues also. Maybe try a new installation of the FW.
Is it necessary to do amps updates ?
Cheers

You should be able to give it edge with a few tweaks. Maybe turn up the negative feedback in the power section?

Last edited:
Well, Recto Modern sounds a bit less bright (bright- as in razor sharp upper midrange), going from 16.01 to 16.02, but it has a bit more snarl, bite, and juice than 6.01.
I bet a notch more presence and upper mid EQ would make up the small difference i'm not sure but think i may have noticed.:wink-new:
And the very nice grind of recto modern just got grindier. :encouragement:

Well, Recto Modern sounds a bit less bright (bright- as in razor sharp upper midrange), going from 16.01 to 16.02, but it has a bit more snarl, bite, and juice than 6.01.
I bet a notch more presence and upper mid EQ would make up the small difference i'm not sure but think i may have noticed.:wink-new:
And the very nice grind of recto modern just got grindier. :encouragement:

Yep I was playing a Recto 2 Red Modern patch through my 2x12 cab last night before updating. I'd read that everyone thought this firmware was a bit darker than 16.01 so I deliberately tweaked it to be a bit too bright before updating.

Unless I just forgot how it sounded in the minutes it took to back up, download and install the update, then it definitely sounded smoother but also more grindy on palm mutes when I tried the same amp in 16.02.

I'm definitely liking this update so far. A couple of my patches are slightly too dark now but that is an easy fix. Overall it seems easier to get a high end that is bright without being harsh so quickly. Great stuff!

I played with it only for couple of minutes last night and I havent used various cabs, but all of the amps with default settings were just beautifully balanced. Maybe I was just tired and numbed by playing on a noisy street that day, so I will have to try again tonight and tomorrow, but I definitely was like : This thing just got much better or I am imagining things in my head. Again. :)

I have never really liked the recto sims, but I was playing my old 2 channel head and got excited to revisit the sims. Nothing in that box beats the recto sims for massive high gain. It sounds huge! I was a 5153 guy for a while but that sounds like a toy hooked up to my 4x12s compared to the rectos. Hot damn I'm in love.

I'm climbing back on the Axe FX II bandwagon. Can't wait to see what's new since FW 9.x (it appears it's a whole new world of tone mania). Should get my unit from UPS sometime today! ;)

I'm currently stuck playing acoustic most of the time. Just loaded this up, and hot damn it's good. I have to find an excuse to play the real thing again....

Back
Top Bottom