Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

help

]Ok. I went back and forth between 16.01 and 16.02. I feel that 16.02 is brittle and thin compared to 16.01. It is a small difference but my hands just feel better on .01. Anyone else feel this way? Am I updating incorrectly? Thanks in advance for your input

]Ok. I went back and forth between 16.01 and 16.02. I feel that 16.02 is brittle and thin compared to 16.01. It is a small difference but my hands just feel better on .01. Anyone else feel this way? Am I updating incorrectly? Thanks in advance for your input

you probably didn't do anything wrong. what guitar do you use? what speakers? things changed so maybe you have to add bass or something?

Yes, I went back and forth because I was surprised at the difference, and wanted to check that it was really there. So often on this forum I read someone saying that the latest release is the best thing since sliced bread, and I'm not hearing it. 16.01 to 16.02 did it for me, and I had to check that it was really happening. In the main I like the change, although there are some amps where it doesn't work for me, and I need to make adjustments. So no, you haven't done anything wrong in updating, but you will need to amend your patches, maybe with a Cab or EQ change.

I had big problems with v16 initially (more so than with previous firmware updates) but it all clicked when I updated the amps (double bypass) and dialed it back in again.

I spent a few hours last night loading up 16.02 and some amps seemed thin here as well, especially my patches with the IIC+ models in particular which I thought was strange since those patches are usually rock solid between upgrades. The rectos are absolutely fantastic though right out of the gate.

A quick PSA: change your batteries everyone!!! I was getting so frustrated trying to dial in patches again last night after upgrading, and no matter what I did it seemed to slowly get worse and worse... took me nearly 2 hours to realize my 9v in my main JP6 was about to completely die. Palm to the forehead.

A quick PSA: change your batteries everyone!!! I was getting so frustrated trying to dial in patches again last night after upgrading, and no matter what I did it seemed to slowly get worse and worse... took me nearly 2 hours to realize my 9v in my main JP6 was about to completely die. Palm to the forehead.

I can't find where the batteries go in my guitars?! They seem to sound awesome regardless. :D

Ouch! The first time I had a dying battery, it completely freaked me out until I realized what was going on. Now I pick up immediately, but I know how it seems that something is really, really wrong at first.

Ouch! The first time I had a dying battery, it completely freaked me out until I realized what was going on. Now I pick up immediately, but I know how it seems that something is really, really wrong at first.

Plus, I went from 15.07 -> 16.02, so I automatically started looking at firmware as the culprit. I usually never let my batteries die completely and keep rotating them (rechargeables), so it's been a while since I've heard the dying battery scratchiness and awkwardness...

I purchased the AXE-FX II when it first came out in June 2011, I haven't upgraded the firmware since before AXE-EDIT 3, can I upgade to the newest firmware?

Absolutely. You'll need to update everything. Update your USB drivers, Fractal Bot, Axe Edit (you won't be able to use the new version until you do the firmware update) and download the new versions of the factory patches. Use Fractal Bot to back up any special patches you've made, but the truth is that everything will be so different you really should start from scratch. It's just part of moving into the future.

Update your firmware, making sure you DON'T use the version for the XL. Load the new factory patches, and prepare to be astonished. Talk about Rip Van Winkle!

Then seek out some of the new Ultra Res IRs that are freely available. A bunch come with the firmware update, but Cliff just released a pair of freebies that are best-in-class. Remember to eat and sleep now and then. I'm sure others will have good advice for you, as well. In a way, I envy you…

Last edited:
Man. That variac is something else. It really is the greatest thing since sliced bread. thx FAS.

The Variac and Dynamics parameters are really fantastic, powerful tools for shaping an amps character and response. Better still these parameters require no advanced knowledge of any kind - just turn 'em till they sound good.

The refinements to the amp modeling for the AxeFX II / XL in v16.02 make this firmware a major step forward IMO. Someone used the words' wild' and 'less linear' to describe the modeled amps in v16.02 and I feel it an apt description. This is the most significant firmware release yet IMO.

Plus, I went from 15.07 -> 16.02, so I automatically started looking at firmware as the culprit. I usually never let my batteries die completely and keep rotating them (rechargeables), so it's been a while since I've heard the dying battery scratchiness and awkwardness...

Rechargeables seem like a Good Thing, but the problem with many of them is that they self-discharge. That is, they'll die on you even if you don't use them. NiCads are the worst - I wouldn't use those if you paid me. Put some fully-charged units in and two weeks later they're dead (or too low to work well) even if you don't use 'em. NiMH are better, but still no panacea. Lithiums are the best, but they're pretty pricey and have a steep fall-off. In other words, they're fine, they're fine, they're fine, they're dead. No discernable curve to them, so you can get surprised.

Disposables seem expensive, but that's just because they're a high-profit item for many retailers. If you search around the 'net, you'd be surprised how cheap you can get Duracell Copper Top Alkalines, and they really work the best. The voltage is higher (1.5VDC vs. 1.2VDC per cell), and the discharge curve is fairly flat, but predictable. You know when it's time to change them before it's too late.

I'll check out the dynamics.

I was trying to remember which FW I started with, i think it was 2, and how far things have come since then. It's at the point that sometimes it seems like the simulation is better than the real thing. I've noticed that more of the amps appeal to me with the latest FWs, whereas before I only liked a few and had to tweak them.

Thanks for this. Has more realism now!

Just was wondering, is it recommended to re-install the factory presets from scratch when updating firmware?

Also, does anyone know if there is any modeling of high grade transformers in this such as Mercury Magnetics transformers?

It's at the point that sometimes it seems like the simulation is better than the real thing.
I keep thinking the same thing.

And it's not all that surprising - although classic tube amps sound better than transistor amps, there's no earthly reason tubes should stand at the pinnacle of overdriven electric guitar tone forever, in fact it would be a pretty big coincidence if the first device designed to modulate a current by a control signal (the vacuum tube) a hundred years ago turned out to be unbeatable in tone now in the 21st century, when we have more options than tube or transistor. :encouragement:

Just was wondering, is it recommended to re-install the factory presets from scratch when updating firmware?
Reinstalling factory presets is only necessary when new factory presets are released.

Also, does anyone know if there is any modeling of high grade transformers in this such as Mercury Magnetics transformers?
Depends on what you mean by "high grade." Part of the sweetness of some amps is an under-designed transformer.

Output transformers are very accurately modeled in the Axe. Most custom transformers involve changes in saturation, turns ratio, and such things. The Axe lets you customize those things any way you like.

Back
Top Bottom