Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.01 Released

I've been back and forth between 15 and 16 a bunch of times the past few days while I've been recording, and tried a lot more different amps, IRs and real cabs, and making comparisons between the firmware (was originally mainly using the VH4). The bass is certainly less mushy on V16, and you can crank the master more without flubbing out - which is cool. But I'm finding that some of the really high frequencies have been lessened a lot, which makes everything sound less clear, which in turn gives an impression of reduced dynamic range. String separation is certainly not as good in V16, and I'm finding it much harder to fit into a mix. Yes, I have tried boosting treble, presence, and EQ lots :) , but when I do this it just doesn't sound natural the way V15 did. V15 was effortless; amp + nice IR = tone heaven. In 16 I'm finding I need to fiddle with the advanced parameters again to get some clarity back. I'll be going back to 15 now, as zero tweaking is a good thing!

Anyway, there's my firmware feedback for the day. I really do appreciate the constant FW updates - the last few ones have been amazing. I thought I'd just share some feedback, in case while focused on improving the bass, the highs got less attention :)

Try increasing the PA hardness with the gain monster amps. It seems to add some of those articulate highs back in. I found "medium" perfect for the VH4. You might prefer "hard."

I've been back and forth between 15 and 16 a bunch of times the past few days while I've been recording, and tried a lot more different amps, IRs and real cabs, and making comparisons between the firmware (was originally mainly using the VH4). The bass is certainly less mushy on V16, and you can crank the master more without flubbing out - which is cool. But I'm finding that some of the really high frequencies have been lessened a lot, which makes everything sound less clear, which in turn gives an impression of reduced dynamic range. String separation is certainly not as good in V16, and I'm finding it much harder to fit into a mix. Yes, I have tried boosting treble, presence, and EQ lots :) , but when I do this it just doesn't sound natural the way V15 did. V15 was effortless; amp + nice IR = tone heaven. In 16 I'm finding I need to fiddle with the advanced parameters again to get some clarity back. I'll be going back to 15 now, as zero tweaking is a good thing!

Anyway, there's my firmware feedback for the day. I really do appreciate the constant FW updates - the last few ones have been amazing. I thought I'd just share some feedback, in case while focused on improving the bass, the highs got less attention :)

That´s the same I tihink about FW 16 - but I try to get in it, playing this night my second gig with it.

Hi Chris,
thanks for the input. Yes, I had Axe Edit open while it happened. So this is normal? It's ok, then... :)

axe-edit is always in "edit mode" whenever a block is selected in the program. it will force the edit screen of that block to open on the axe front panel.

it's best to use axe-edit to work with the axe if it is connected and open. if you want to use the front panel, either close axe-edit, or use the Pause function in the program.

I've been through several firmware updates now but today noticed the cabs included in the 16.01. I take it you must download these separately?

I've been through several firmware updates now but today noticed the cabs included in the 16.01. I take it you must download these separately?

You mean load them? If so, then yes... You'll have to load them into a user cab slot. They are the Ultra Res IRs and you should definitely try them... But they have been included as far back as FW 13 or 14, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the "UltraRes Samples" folder that comes in the zipfile with the firmware? If so, yes. Treat them as you would any other user IR's - Audition each IR and load the ones you want to keep into the Cab block's user cab slots.

EDIT - unix-guy beat me to it.

Thank you both, I'm still a newb. I got on board at 14.3 I think it was, then it was how do I upgrade firmware? and now it's IRs?!!!???

The TV 4-12 has been doing it quite well for me but I am going to have to try this out.

Thank you both, I'm still a newb. I got on board at 14.3 I think it was, then it was how do I upgrade firmware? and now it's IRs?!!!???

The TV 4-12 has been doing it quite well for me but I am going to have to try this out.

You´ve missed a big Piece of the cake, if you haven´t tried the Ultracabs till today...............:D

Used it live last night, there is a huge difference to my ears through a real cab. Sounded chunky and less harsh, I would have been happy to mic the cab up it sounded that good from my Marshall 2x12.

idk if it was the update or that i couldnt use the axe for 2 weeks...but some of "missing" ingredient is now there. It does sound and feel much better now. Thanks!

Are you talking about the "UltraRes Samples" folder that comes in the zipfile with the firmware? If so, yes. Treat them as you would any other user IR's - Audition each IR and load the ones you want to keep into the Cab block's user cab slots.

Sorry for noob question - but where do you find these? I've downloaded and installed the last few updates for the XL and each time when I unpack the Zip there's just a single .syx file in there for the firmware and various PDFs with the release notes. I've never seen any IR files in there. Do you have to download them separately perhaps?

[EDIT] - sorry, found them after searching this forum, I got some in a firmware 14 update download, I assume those still work fine with 16.01 ?

Sorry for noob question - but where do you find these? I've downloaded and installed the last few updates for the XL and each time when I unpack the Zip there's just a single .syx file in there for the firmware and various PDFs with the release notes. I've never seen any IR files in there. Do you have to download them separately perhaps?

If you extract the whole zip file, there should be a folder in there... Unless the XL includes them in the FW? I don't have the XL, so I am not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom