Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.01 Released

I was tempted to just write in the release notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42UGvmEf820

I have a Popeye's within walking distance from my house. Yes, I do live in the hood.

Agreed, thank you so much for the updates. The cabs sound so much better; for the first time, it sounds like there are actual cabs in the room. And the bass amps sound so much better too. All in all a firmware to jump to pronto.

Keep Kicking Ass!

Last edited:
FW 16.01 I'm still getting some thunks when switching presets. Love the improvements. Highs are less shrill and have more substance. Lows have more definition and mids sound great. Thanks Cliff!

To the best of my knowledge, there is no longer any need to do this. It happens automatically as of firmware v16.

Thanks, Cliff!

I do not agree........Maybe I did something wrong?

But when I copy my Settings to y, load the amp on x new, copy back my Settings to x - there is difference - the new firmwaresound.

I have a Popeye's within walking distance from my house. Yes, I do live in the hood.

Agreed, thank you so much for the updates. The cabs sound so much better; for the first time, it sounds like there are actual cabs in the room. And the bass amps sound so much better too. All in all a firmware to jump to pronto.

Keep Kicking Ass!
you my good man are very fortunate to have a popeye's near you. I dream of having one near me.:cry

Is it normal/new, that when I unbypass an effect in the grid it automatically shows the details of this effect (it changes from the grid-view, without me doing anything). And if this is normal and new: Can I please get the old behaviour back or can we have it switchable?

Is it just me or is Axe Edit 3.01 not working with 16.01?
BTW 16.01 sounds and feels amazing!!!
Works for me...

Is it normal/new, that when I unbypass an effect in the grid it automatically shows the details of this effect (it changes from the grid-view, without me doing anything). And if this is normal and new: Can I please get the old behaviour back or can we have it switchable?

Do you have axe edit open when this happens?

I've been back and forth between 15 and 16 a bunch of times the past few days while I've been recording, and tried a lot more different amps, IRs and real cabs, and making comparisons between the firmware (was originally mainly using the VH4). The bass is certainly less mushy on V16, and you can crank the master more without flubbing out - which is cool. But I'm finding that some of the really high frequencies have been lessened a lot, which makes everything sound less clear, which in turn gives an impression of reduced dynamic range. String separation is certainly not as good in V16, and I'm finding it much harder to fit into a mix. Yes, I have tried boosting treble, presence, and EQ lots :) , but when I do this it just doesn't sound natural the way V15 did. V15 was effortless; amp + nice IR = tone heaven. In 16 I'm finding I need to fiddle with the advanced parameters again to get some clarity back. I'll be going back to 15 now, as zero tweaking is a good thing!

Anyway, there's my firmware feedback for the day. I really do appreciate the constant FW updates - the last few ones have been amazing. I thought I'd just share some feedback, in case while focused on improving the bass, the highs got less attention :)

j0185154_191022_7.jpg

I kid, I kid.

To be fair, I have been playing for a bit. I reset the amps by de-selecting them and then dialled in the Friedman HBE. It does sound like it's got a bit more bite and a less harsh top end. Is that what I should be hearing. Either way, it just sounds killer and makes me want to play all day. :D

Back
Top Bottom