Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

4668324328_d3e73b1037_z_zps4c4e2f8f.jpg
Hahaha NOW I get. LOL

That's what's stopping me from updating right now EP. I love the updates and so far each one has improved my AxeFx immensely. However....the past few weeks, I've REALLY been tweaking my sounds to the point of taking them as far as I can. With that being said, I'm happier now than I ever have been with any processor or amp. The down-side is, as much as I love experimenting and tweaking this stuff, I'm at a point where I'm really happy and sort of exhausted with tweaking. With a load of gigs coming up and me being totally happy with my current 14.2 FW sounds, I just can't lose what I built just yet. :) I know this will probably change as soon as I get a lull in my shows. But until that time....I gotta stick with what I have. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't salivating about the new possibilities though...especially if they have more tube oriented realness. :) I back everything up so I'm not worried, but I do want to stay current. Just not yet. I'll probably wait until the full blown 15 release hits.

I'm in the same boat more or less. The great thing about the Axe FX though is you can backup your v14.02 completely, load v15, try it, even tweak, save, etc, then backup v15 completely, and reload 14.02 and backups when it's time to gig. This way you can tweak at your lesuire until such a time you feel confident with your v15 presets.

I love that updates work like this, you are never forced to any version so If you have tone matches for example you did for a recording session, they will ALWAYS BE THERE, exactly the same, as long as you backed it up. Loading a firmware and backups only takes a couple minutes.

A note to those who are struggling to get their "sound" back, you really have to be careful to make notes of all of the little advanced parameter setting and GEQ settings, as well as the MV settings from your FW14 preset. If you had tweaked the bejesus out of your AMP then resetting to default values with just your B,M,T and Drive settings remaining will not get you there. I really stress that, if you can before you reset the amp, copy the x state to the y state and then you can easily toggle back and forth. To all of those guys saying "just tweak it by ear dude!" you ain't helpin' matters. A specific example of why someone might really need to get all of the advanced parameters exactly right is when it is for a tonematch preset. I just ran into this on a tonematch preset I did. I had tweaked nearly every advanced parameter and all were wiped away with the reset. Perhaps digging way into the advanced parameters isn't the way to "get your tone" but in this case it was the only way and I needed to get them all back. Using the X Y trick worked for me anyway.

Note that Cliff wrote this today: "The old settings don't translate. The algorithms are different so the old values are meaningless in the new context."

I love that updates work like this, you are never forced to any version so If you have tone matches for example you did for a recording session, they will ALWAYS BE THERE, exactly the same, as long as you backed it up. Loading a firmware and backups only takes a couple minutes.

It's not really talked about on the forum but it is really great to be able to load old FW and old presets and get the exact same results. Long after the project was first produced.

Sometimes that is not the answer. In this instance the amp I was using was closest to what I was trying to achieve, partly due to the sound of it and partly due to knowledge of the specific equipment used for the original recording. Just needed some advanced parameters tweaked to get there. I will say that sometimes you start off with something and you keep chasing and chasing and before you know it you've tweaked every damn knob.

i completely agree and tend to do that myself.

but just saying, some people grab a mark iv because they like how someone else sounded with it and turn every single knob to make it sound like (unknowingly) a Friedman or something. haha!

really, it's as simple as this:

if you don't want your tone to change, don't update the firmware.

if you have time and want the new firmware, you'll have to reset the amps and start over. use your ears not your eyes to create your new tones, as the settings and numbers from before may have nothing to do with the new firmware.

many have always found it faster and easier to find their tone with each new firmware as long as they are using their ears and not saying "i set my master volume to 5 just like before and now it's different." yes. it's different. that's the point.

Note that Cliff wrote this today: "The old settings don't translate. The algorithms are different so the old values are meaningless in the new context."

They may be meaningless in that they won't sound the same as14.xx but that doesn't mean they are useless. On many of the patches I have, it sounded better to leave my v14 tweaks as is & go from there rather than doing the amp reset & tweaking. There is no "one size fits all" approach to this IMHO.

I moved to fw 15 beta. It clearly feels great. One exception though. I have some presets with delay and a pitch shifter to downtune. It sounded good in the past but with fw 15 it is messed up. Should i change something or will this be tackled in the public fw update. If not, am thinking to temporarily go back to fw 14.

Can Fractal give us an indication of what or how many amp models have changed parameters?

I know my Les Paul 5153 amps have changed.:)

With regards to applying old FW advanced parameters to new FW user presets: for me, when I tweak an advanced parameter, I like to understand the details of what it is doing or trying to model. Then I decide that I like or don't like the affect of that mod. Then it's not so much about setting the the new FW patches with the exact same values, it's more listing to the sound and deciding which mods I'd like or think can take me closer to the tone I'm after. It's understanding the tools.

Now I totally understand the daunting task that is with the amount of power and control the Axe has available. But start small. Find a few parameters that stick out for you then totally understand them. And only reach for these until you have the time or desire to learn more. Cliff has spent some time diving into some of them in this forum. Good place to start I think.

Works for me anyway. And keeps these FW updates much easier and quicker to manage.

Thank you Cliff and crew for a wonderful product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated to 15, re-selected half a dozen amps or so, mostly Fenders and Voxes (I had no idea I was a Vox man till I bought the Axe-FX!). The old AC-30 TB was crunchy even through single coils w/ the Input Drive set at only 3.55. Now, it's nice and clean and much more pleasing to my ears. The AC-15 is still my favorite (w/any number of UR cabs that have Alnico Blues) for cleans, especially in positions 2 and 4. Everything I've tried so far is just killing!

I moved to fw 15 beta. It clearly feels great. One exception though. I have some presets with delay and a pitch shifter to downtune. It sounded good in the past but with fw 15 it is messed up. Should i change something or will this be tackled in the public fw update. If not, am thinking to temporarily go back to fw 14.

They should not be "messed up" -- post presets so we can take a look?

Reactions: RDH
The AC-15 is my favorite in 14.02...how much am I going to notice the change to 15?

You're going to notice it's still your favorite, just better. *LOL* It's subtle, but definitely noticeable. To my ears more clarity and definition. I don't know how much you've tweaked your settings, but I've never done anything but adjust Drive, Bass, Middle, and Treble to taste.

Why not just tone match the tones you want to keep them?

In some situations, I don't believe this would work, laugh. Tone matching doesn't cop gain stages or advanced options. I have no problems using patches that work with older firmware. I was just meaning to say that with gigs coming up, I really didn't feel like messing with anything and to be honest, at the moment I'm a bit burnt out from tweaking my tones. when you play out a lot or record lots of things, the last thing you want to do is mess with a fine oiled machine. However, when you know the end result will be better....it tempts the living hell out of you....but finding the time (and the desire) to do the tweaks may not be in the cards. :)

I haven't read this whole thread. Does "update all presets" work or not? It worked great in last couple FW upgrades.

If this doesn't work because advanced params (even ones users previously changed) are irrelevant due to new changes (per Cliff I believe), which amps need to be reset, just the ones in firmware release notes or can someone provide a list?

That way I can "update all presets" and then just reset the amps I need to and re-dial those in detail. Thanks in advance for any help.

Back
Top Bottom