Axe FX II as interface

ChipsInMyBeard

Hey all,

I'm feeling super frustrated - I am trying to set up the AXE FX II as part of an aggregate device with my Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I had this setup working about a month ago, but then I went on vacation and stored everything away until I got back. Now I'm experiencing 2 problems:

1. When I select my aggregate device, there is digital clipping through all levels of audio (there is no sample rate discrepancy)
2. When I try to use the AXE FX II as the sole interface (in troubleshooting) the audio from the USB is only coming out as mono. I cannot figure it out.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

1. Capture the processed sound from the AXE FX into pro tools
2. Capture the DI sound for the purpose of re-amping
3. Control the volume for my setup with my focusrite

Does anyone know how to make this work? Seems like a fairly straightforward setup, but I can't figure it out. I know I did it before, but it's somehow reset.

Setup details:

Computer: iMac 2020 27"
DAW: Pro Tools 2021
AXE model: AXE FX II
Other device: Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Thanks,
Chips

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 4.32.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 4.32.02 PM.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 9
Not positive but I think the axe fx needs to be the clock source. I am not a recording guru. but why use an interface just to control levels. I have done some recording using windows with studio one, axe fx as interface, recording 2 dry tracks, 2 processed tracks, and a midi track at the same time. I listen to the audio through the speakers connected to the axe fx outputs. adjust levels with, axe fx, computer, and studio one.

USB audio does not use a clock. It uses buffers. Master/slave settings have no effect on USB audio.

Each channel over USB is mono. If you want to record stereo, you will need to record two tracks, such as inputs 1 and 2. Those correspond to Output 1 left and right.

USB audio does not use a clock. It uses buffers. Master/slave settings have no effect on USB audio.
From experience, I've learned that it's important to set the clock source to the AxeFX in an aggregate. You'll get clock drift noise if you don't. I'm sure that's the "clipping" that the OP is talking about.

Back
Top Bottom