Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Cliffs recent comments about the III sounding better than the II doesn’t sound promising to me 😅 it’s in FAS’s interest to have the unit they’re currently selling to sound better, so I understand. I’m still learning so much about dialing in tones with the II though so that’s good!

I loaded the latest Aries and I found the changes to the Reverb blocks to be so annoying that I blew the previous release back in. Now I get the following error message in the block library log:

/Users/Howard/Documents/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/blocks/Reverb/Nice Plate_20191118_173816.blk: The block was saved using Axe-Fx II XL+ firmware version Ares 2.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware.

Anyone else out go through the same thing.

I loaded the latest Aries and I found the changes to the Reverb blocks to be so annoying that I blew the previous release back in. Now I get the following error message in the block library log:

/Users/Howard/Documents/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/blocks/Reverb/Nice Plate_20191118_173816.blk: The block was saved using Axe-Fx II XL+ firmware version Ares 2.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware.

There were changes to the Reverbs???

Anything changed/saved in a particular firmware will not be readable in an older version. This is why backing up before updating is crucial.

What FW did you update from? I don't think there were changes in either of the Ares releases except for Amp modeling.

You can recover your stuff:

• Update to latest FW again
  • Make a backup
  • Revert back to older firmware
  • Use FracTool to "convert" backup to current system
  • Make a donation to @AlGrenadine for creating such an awesome tool!

Anything changed/saved in a particular firmware will not be readable in an older version. This is why backing up before updating is crucial.

Ares release notes specified that only the amp block modeling was updated, though with regards to new firmware, if need be it's always a good idea to reset the block(s) in question (Reverb in this case etc).

Hi fellow Axe Fx brothers! I also updated my Axe fx 2 xl+ to ares 2. I had a gig a couple of days back and I pluged from the L XLR output to the mixing board and the sound was as if the cab simulation was shut down. Then i pluged in the R XLR output and it did work well! Could the update change some parameters? Thanks for the help!

Hey does anybody know if we're gonna get the Gain Enhancer option for the Out Comp Type in the Axe-Fx II?
That would be great but I'm not too sure we will see any more updates to the Axe fx 2. My hopes were up after the last unexpected update and while Cliff did state he found a way to apply the new updates across all platforms I have a feeling we may not be getting anything more for the 2. It will be a bonus if we do but I am more than happy with the box in its present state.

Yup it doesn't seem logical new features will be added, it was stated clearly Axe II is EOL.
From past comments of Cliff, it doesn't even seem the II can handle any more code lines, which explains (at least technically) the EOL statement.

What the II can get, technically, is refinements of existing code lines, for example improved way to model grid conduction or cathode follower limiting/compressing... that's kind of stuff Ares 1.03 and 2.00 gave us.
I would be SUPER happy if we'll see just more of that :)

Yup it doesn't seem logical new features will be added, it was stated clearly Axe II is EOL.
From past comments of Cliff, it doesn't even seem the II can handle any more code lines, which explains (at least technically) the EOL statement.

What the II can get, technically, is refinements of existing code lines, for example improved way to model grid conduction or cathode follower limiting/compressing... that's kind of stuff Ares 1.03 and 2.00 gave us.
I would be SUPER happy if we'll see just more of that :)
Exactly, that's more than enough for me.

I think I got it, & at this point it seems silly to ask for anything. I went waay down the rabbit hole looking deep into the circuitry of how amps work & how I can find "my sound" (btw thank u YEK) & it turns out- I just need to turn the Supply Sag way up & turn the B+ Time Constant all the way up & lessen the Variac...idk I love a lil saaag! It's funny I bought an Axe-Fx II XL plus right before they put out the Axe III, but it's all good, it's all love cause I know that I'm hooked & Imma eventually buy an Axe III...so it's a foregone conclusion with me anyway......just waiting to spend 2$bigguns, jeez, I know I will....I'm about to-.....aw, where can they buy a perfect Axe-IIxl+ though reverb.com? lol

Idk I just see which way the tide is turning, & when the Axe III came out there was no sonic difference (as far as what I knew) but now I see what's starting to happen with that 'excess memory' ...they're gonna keep adding to the III, yeah. Well either way Imma bout to buy the III I just fucking really hope that I'm not 'behind the tide' so to speak... cause that's my luck- spend 2Gs on the III for the next III rev to come up aw fuck

After updating to Ares 2.0 a week ago I've since tried several amp models and felt that with some power amp distortion the sound stays more defined and detailed than before. Also the individual character of each amp seems a bit more pronounced.
It's little subtle changes, but I really enjoy them.
Thanks a lot for this unexpected update!

What FW did you update from? I don't think there were changes in either of the Ares releases except for Amp modeling.

You can recover your stuff:

• Update to latest FW again
  • Make a backup
  • Revert back to older firmware
  • Use FracTool to "convert" backup to current system
  • Make a donation to @AlGrenadine for creating such an awesome tool!
I upgraded from Ares 1.03 to 2.0. I had the latest FW. The reverb blocks were definitely changed.

I only made changes to a couple of patches. I re-imported the patches but I still get the error message. Not sure what do.

I upgraded from Ares 1.03 to 2.0. I had the latest FW. The reverb blocks were definitely changed.

I only made changes to a couple of patches. I re-imported the patches but I still get the error message. Not sure what do.
Did you follow the steps I listed? FracTool should handle it, I think.

Back
Top Bottom