Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Does updating to "Ares" change your presets alot

How much it changes your sound depends on what sort of music you play, and how you’ve set up your presets. I noticed a change, but didn’t make many adjustments apart from bypassing a filter block that I was using to negate some artefacts in my acoustic simulation.

Does updating to "Ares" change your presets alot
I've always updated at new FW and re-tweaked. So even though I use about 20 different amps and a bunch of presets, it was easy/fast - just made a few gain tweaks and ran out to gig. About 15 gigs so far on Ares 2.0 and no issues. A couple Marshall presets sound a tad light on gain/distortion, but that's it.

If you haven't updated since quantum or earlier quantum, you'll have to do some work but it's worth it.

Last edited:
ODS-100 Clean is nearly dead silent. Anyone have the same issue?

Maybe a default setting thing but it doesn't matter as it's a clean channel with the MV at 5, which wouldn't be as loud as the gain channel etc, so just turn it up using whatever combination of channel volume, master volume, and block output volume that works for you.

Maybe a default setting thing but it doesn't matter as it's a clean channel with the MV at 5, which wouldn't be as loud as the gain channel etc, so just turn it up using whatever combination of channel volume, master volume, and block output volume that works for you.
So you assume that block level at +20 when you get 0 RMS is quite ok? (MV 10 gain 5)

So you assume that block level at +20 when you get 0 RMS is quite ok? (MV 10 gain 5)

Sure, if it's not clipping it's fine.

I have a real tube Dumble Skyliner #124 ODS clone, and the clean side has very little output (gain stage, passive tonestack, make-up gain stage, master), vs the OD side (which has all of that plus two additional gain stages etc).

If it's not clipping you're golden.

Last edited:
Will the new fw Ares 10.02 come to the axe fx II ?

Hopefully parts of the later Ares upgrades will be available for the Axe II as Cliff has stated that he's conjured up improved ways of managing the FW differences between Axe II and Axe III, making them easier to deal with etc, so we'll have to wait to see?

We'll never get everything the Axe III gets due to the Axe II's various hardware limitations, but in the past he's been able to give the Axe II some of the more important aspects of Ares, and the results have been impressive improvements IME.

Nobody knows right now, don't get your hopes up.

I too am hoping for it though, it really is a game changer!

Back
Top Bottom