Axe-Fx II and The Edge

When you were over there did you learn more about the Vox AC30TB and cabs? Any firmware improvements on the way for this? Which AC30TB physical amp is the AxeFX II's modeled after? All of the years sound different and I know that Edge's main one is modified and sounds slightly different than stock for that year.

The real amp seems to have something the Axe doesn't (as I duck for cover). I know people rave about the AxeFX model but session after session of tweaking and listening to both Axe and real version, I get that tingling feeling from the real one but not quite from the Axe version. For this reason, I'm so curious as to how the Edge reacted to the AC30TB model and cabs and how close you came to the original recordings. If he and Dallas couldn't tell the difference then I know for sure I'm doing something wrong.

For other effects it's clear that he could substantially consolidate his live rig. I could totally see him with 2 Axe's, all of his stage amps, an A3, switcher, and nothing else.

Why 2 axe fx's? One couldn't do it?

Edge is a backup freak - rightfully so.

Also, some of his effects paths are incredibly complex - might push Axe-FX 2 (+ he likes to have instant access to effects to switch in and out so he might create a super huge virtual pedalboard)

Very exciting news! Congrats Fractal.

My sister still makes fun of me for yelling out "Mr. Schoo, Mr. Schoo" at a U2 concert many years ago.

-

I'm fairly sure that all of the programming could be done on just one AxeFXII but his amps would be mandatory (and maybe A3 but only maybe... b/c the latest axe A3 immitations are sounding pretty close). It wouldn't sound exactly like the albums but certainly close enough for arena work. A second one could be used for backup and preset switching. It's more likely that there will be 4 or more on set (2 for Edge, 2 for Dallas) and I don't really see why Bono couldn't use one for his minimal guitar parts as well.

Last edited:
Or this clip from "It Might Get Loud" :p
I love that clip. He knows his stuff is easy and he doesn't pretend it isn't. From early on he has said that the band really didn't know what they were doing and that many songs were born from lack of technical skill. I like the Bill Bailey clip too b/c it was funny.

Anyway congrats with this milestone Cliff and co. Hope you guys can take a lot of knowledge with you when updating firmware.

One of reasons I am buying the Axe FX II (Still on Europe's waiting list as we speak) is that i heard/see how close the AXE sound can get to the real Edge U2 sound.

u2-the-edge-axe-fx-ii.png

ups ;) ... no signal input Leds flashing .... :eek:

Last edited:
Looks like it no? How amazing if true.

Amazing, if he use the same equipment, like we did? meh ... It would be amazing, if he would share his Delay-settings and tell us, how to replicate his AC30 sound with the Axe ... :mrgreen

Edge definitely using the Axe for small venues:

Instagram

That's surreal - Seeing Edge with a small stand and the Axe Fx on top, as opposed to the giant rack we're used to seeing behind him.
Even if it's stand alone for a small show, still one of those confirming The Future is now moments. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom