Axe-Fx II and The Edge

Matt I'm astounded he doesn't use 3 or 4 of them daisy chained together, so he's got 75 options at all times.

Nice work - you have the best job on the planet.

This is great^^ I like sending this photo to the big rack guys I know. One friend uses quite a large rolling rack with stereo bogner ectasy and uberschall heads. He's a HUGE Edge fan. I love telling him you REALLY dont need all that. He should just have two axe fx II and be done!

I wonder if he's using the AxeFX for effects and running the tweed amp (is it a Deluxe?) as his amp (which doesn't sound right for him) or if he's running that tweed amp as a backup. Or maybe just to run the shimmer effect into?

I'm going to be evil here... it doesn't sound good. Yes, it's a cell video. Yes, the mix (it sounds like) is bad (vocals are way too loud but that may have been their intent for this type of gig). From the little exposed guitar I can hear, well, it's just ok.

I wouldn't dwell on that though. This is monumental. If what we see is really all he is using for the gig, it's a significant change for him. He has gone from 2 rack stacks, two pedal trays, 1 ginormous floor pedal and at least 4 onstage amps to 1 AxeFX, 1 amp, 1 monitor, and 1 smaller floor pedal. For once he's a mere mortal and probably is going through what most of us are going through which is how to make a minimal AxeFX rig rock in all respects.

Well this is not a Axe-Fx II Roadshow, right? what did you expect, you`ll hear? From a stage (and PA / sound engeneering) which was not equipped priority for live-music from a rock band?! This is a benefit Gala! Not a rock concert! With that in mind i would say, the sound of the acoustic guitar and Vertigo was nice! Before i wanted to critique the guitar sound, i would say some critiqal words about the voice of the singer ... *lol .....:mrgreen

Well this is not a Axe-Fx II Roadshow, right? what did you expect, you`ll hear? From a stage (and PA / sound engeneering) which was not equipped priority for live-music from a rock band?! This is a benefit Gala! Not a rock concert!

Exactly. I was just reframing the significance of the video which was not the sound but rather a shift out of geardoom.

Hi there,
I'm currently gigging with U2 2 (24 years now) and I have the large effects rig with the A3/Eventide etc in there. I am looking to change over to a F AX2 as The Edge has just done. I do have some trepidation though, not with the FX but it's taken me years to dial in exact tones. Mysterious Ways for one, is something the A3 is known for. The Eventide for Crystal Echoes...TC delays etc.
Although live, I use two old VOX AC30's pretty hot, I'd have to recreate sounds at home, using headphones. (The neighbours would not appreciate a VOX on more than half volume) Edge fans will also note he still uses the new Korg SDD pedal to get his 'crunch' sound for Streets, Bad, Still and Pride. He also uses twin-chains for lots of his sounds, something I picked up on years ago. (Cleaner sound with crunchy at the same time)
Basically....am I in for much of a headache changing all those sounds over? :)
I know I'm not allowed an 'url' for the first few posts - but to embellish on my point - if you type in 'luke messing around with his effects' (youtube) you'll be able to view what I've put together in the U2 band, via Youtube. (Please note it's straight through to a computer without two VOX's helping to shape the tone)
Many thanks all, best wishes!

Hi there,
I'm currently gigging with U2 2 (24 years now) and I have the large effects rig with the A3/Eventide etc in there. I am looking to change over to a F AX2 as The Edge has just done. I do have some trepidation though, not with the FX but it's taken me years to dial in exact tones. Mysterious Ways for one, is something the A3 is known for. The Eventide for Crystal Echoes...TC delays etc.
Although live, I use two old VOX AC30's pretty hot, I'd have to recreate sounds at home, using headphones. (The neighbours would not appreciate a VOX on more than half volume) Edge fans will also note he still uses the new Korg SDD pedal to get his 'crunch' sound for Streets, Bad, Still and Pride. He also uses twin-chains for lots of his sounds, something I picked up on years ago. (Cleaner sound with crunchy at the same time)
Basically....am I in for much of a headache changing all those sounds over? :)
I know I'm not allowed an 'url' for the first few posts - but to embellish on my point - if you type in 'luke messing around with his effects' (youtube) you'll be able to view what I've put together in the U2 band, via Youtube. (Please note it's straight through to a computer without two VOX's helping to shape the tone)
Many thanks all, best wishes!

There´s a place where you can see what the Axe Fx can do with the U2´s sounds:

http://forum.u2guitartutorials.com/forum.php

Best regards.

Back
Top Bottom