Axe FX II Amp of the Week

Keep the Amp of the Week thread stickied, and just create threads or comment in ones you want. You could have threads devoted to a single amp, best amp for X tone threads, amp comparison threads, all kinds of stuff. No reason to sticky anything but the Amp of the Week thread and maybe one or two other good ones, and everything else will just naturally sort out.

While a great idea, I don't think it is a good idea for this. You don't want a bunch of clutter IMO. People should be able to open the subforum, see a list of amp model threads, and easily find the one that they are looking for.

I'm all for this idea! A separate sub forum section would be great... Every week we could start a new thread title, e.g.

AMP OF THE WEEK: Vox AC-30
AMP OF THE WEEK: '59 Bassman

The great thing about this is that the thread doesn't necessarily have to die at the end of the week. People could still contribute and get knowledge from each thread days, weeks, YEARS later...

While a great idea, I don't think it is a good idea for this. You don't want a bunch of clutter IMO. People should be able to open the subforum, see a list of amp model threads, and easily find the one that they are looking for.

I agree!
Hope this will become a reality.

It will need Admin input AZG to set the board structure up (that's assuming they do actually want to make those changes of course) - it's my guess that with the XL, FW14 and CabLab2, they've all got their plates really full right now :)

I think we should abandon "of the week" and just have a sub forum with each amp having it's own thread. The most popular amps would get detailed pretty fast and it would fill out from there.

52 amps a year is NOT enough ground covered.

True. What about style/sound/vibe of the week? Something like "Vintage Strat", "Classic Rock", "Smokey Jazz". PPl can chip in with amps, guitars, tweaks, cabs and everything they do to achieve it.

I think we should abandon "of the week" and just have a sub forum with each amp having it's own thread. The most popular amps would get detailed pretty fast and it would fill out from there.

52 amps a year is NOT enough ground covered.

This ^ of course ... the value of this effort increases dramatically if we create amp-specific threads in parallel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sub forum with stickies containing threads for all the amp types would still be a great resource.
We could post tips, presets and soundclips and the threads wouldn't get lost in the forum.
I still hope this is a possibility!

I like the idea of every amp getting its own thread, and every week one specific thread for one amp gets stickied and the previous week's thread looses its sticky status. All the threads would be there in the forum, but the amp that happens to be the current week's amp will have its thread locked at the top. You'd never lose any information, you'd just have a shift in focus every week or so.

Two useful concepts seem to have come up in this thread:
1) a separate subforum with a single thread for each amp model, in order to concentrate discussion, tips, cab pairings, settings, clips, videos, patches, etc. in one location
2) a weekly forum activity called "Amp of the Week," which would be a collaborative, interactive event focused on a specific amp model each week

1) A subforum dedicated to amp models (called something like "The Amp Room" as suggested by GreatGreen) could exist on its own (separate from AotW activities), and would serve as a repository of amp-specific information even if the weekly events lost interest over time.
- The wiki is a fantastic starting point, and these amp model threads could be thought of as the companion discussion forums for the wiki articles. Maybe the first post in each thread could contain a link to the relevant wiki entry.
- Starting with one thread existing for each amp model from the outset would allow discussion on any amp to begin immediately, instead of waiting months or years for it to be featured as AotW. The recently-released owner's manual lists 177 amp models (by my count), and it would take almost three and a half years before all the current amps have been featured.
- (It seems like "best amp for ____ type tones" and amp comparison threads might be best suited for the Axe-Fx II discussion forum. The unique feature of a new, dedicated subforum would be having a single thread for each amp model as a way to eliminate clutter and centralize discussion.)

2) The "Amp of the Week" activity could take place within the already-created "Amp Room" subforum and could add on to the existing thread for the amp model in question.
- The default thread title in the subforum could simply be the name of the amp model: "Brit Brown". While an amp model is the amp of the week, it could be stickied and its title modified to something like: "[Amp of the Week 2014-03-30] Brit Brown"
- The spirit of AotW could be to encourage experimentation with the featured amp, and joining in the AotW activities would likely motivate users to try an amp they wouldn't normally consider, or that they might have tried and dismissed in the past or with previous firmwares, etc.
- The focused discussion of AotW will encourage the submission of tips, clips, etc. and can help to "fill out" the amp threads, especially in the early days of the amp model subforum.

"Amp of the week" is a good way of getting the amp-specific threads started, otherwise we'll be spreading our attention too thinly over too many amps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom