Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.04

I always reset one amp to see if it makes a difference. Many times to my opinion it does. Sometimes not. Really doesn’t take much more effort or time to check one patch than getting on the forum and asking the question. Then you know for yourself whether it’s worth it. Some hear or feel the difference, others don’t, at the end of the day it’s your opinion that matters to you, not what others think.

In a firmware update, sometimes not all amps are impacted. If you test one and do not hear a difference, you may have chosen one the incurred no changes to its parameters. Doesn't tell you much about the other 302.

Are you sure that you are not also resetting some advanced parameter that you may have tweaked? e.g.: out compression, cab curve, speaker thumb or drive, supply sag, input or output EQ...

Warning-know-what-you-are-doing-before-resetting-amp-blocks

I think that besides indicating the need to Reset or not to Reset at the release notes, it would also be interesting that they explain the correct mode to reset without messing with the advanced parameters that the user may have changed.
I’m sure! I’ve only been using fractal gear since 2008. I don’t comment often on these threads mostly because of this kind of responses from people who do! But quite frankly I’m as entitled to my view as anyone. I copy the block say from a to b and set them the same. Seldom tweak any advanced parameters just basic controls.

Last edited:
Just got back from a gig, felt comfortable updating to a non-beta beforehand (heck sometimes I even use betas too!)

We were support for a metal band with two guitarist, playing a 15w orange and a Friedman JJ Jr. They sounded amaaaaazing. Both guitarists complemented me on the sound of the axe, which was nice since I was having playground amp-size anxiety 😂

I’m sure! I’ve only been using fractal gear since 2008. I don’t comment often on these threads mostly because of this kind of responses from people who do! But quite frankly I’m as entitled to my view as you are. Maybe one day I can be accepted into the “always right club”.

I was not trying to patronize. I just wrote with the intention to help, because there are users that have messed their presets 🤷🏻‍♂️

As I wrote on post #59, a friend of mine was wrongly resetting all the presets every time that a new firmware was released. Consequently, his presets did sound wrong after every firmware release. He got tired of that, blamed the frequent firmware updates, and he moved to Kemper.

Example: this is how factory preset "Petrucci Rig" 5 Band (Mark) Output EQ looks before amp reset:
082-pettrucci-rig-before-png.108495

And this is what happens after a total reset
082-pettrucci-rig-after-png.108496

I am wondering why should I care. I think I better shut down the damn internet and play guitar...

I was not trying to patronize. I just wrote with the intention to help, because there are users that have messed their presets 🤷🏻‍♂️

As I wrote on post #59, a friend of mine was wrongly resetting all the presets every time that a new firmware was released. Consequently, his presets did sound wrong after every firmware release. He got tired of that, blamed the frequent firmware updates, and he moved to Kemper.

Example: this is how factory preset "Petrucci Rig" 5 Band (Mark) Output EQ looks before amp reset:

I am wondering why should I care. I think I better shut down the damn internet and play guitar...
Exactly, I didn’t intend to sound like a jerk. Totally agree with your last statement.

Question regarding firmware versions. On the main Fractal website, for Axe-3 it lists FW version 21.01 as the most recent one available. That's the last one used to update my Axe-3. But I see there's been version 21.01 on up to 21.04 now.

So obviously I'm just wondering if anyone's been experiencing any version control issues?

Firmware always hits the forum first. Website gets updated a bit later. Fractal bot will always get new firmwares straight away too.

[...]

That's the thing exactly.

If there are parameters that won't get their New And Improved Values until you reset, but resetting wipes out lots of more basic settings you may have changed, it's a real dilemma. Worse yet, we users don't have a very good idea of what parameters have New And Improved Values, or what they are, to apply them manually without the full clobbering reset.

Personally, I tend to try my presets without resetting, and don't reset unless there's a problem. Sometimes I'll do a reset just to see where it lands, but I do that anyway sometimes when there's no update involved, just to check it out.

...imagine that one day he forgot...
What am I doing wrong that this video doesn't play, just spins? Weird, it runs on the forum if I use Chrome rather than Firefox. That sucks.
Update: Did a little searching and found "FIXED: Youtube Not Working In Firefox Browser | Won't Load" video. Going through his suggestions, I found out it will run on the forum in Firefox when using "New private window". Weird!
Final Update: Application menu > Help > More troubleshooting information > Do both "Clear startup cache..." and "Refresh Firefox..."
Sorry to hijack the tread, but it was pissing me off.

Last edited:
@RDH If it helps at all, I don't think @Piing was trying to be jerk or to talk down to you or anything like that; he's always jumping in to help when he can, and I do think most forum members are genuinely trying to help most of the time. Not to discount that people can absolutely be jerks on here, and that's always a shame to see, but I've just never seen that kind of thing from him, and I didn't read his comments here like that.

Love this update, I installed but not tried the 21.02, and now this one.

Guys, I recorded so many track in one year since I got the Axe Fx that now I’m giving them for free to singers in FB communities.

It is so inspiring that I’m composing more than I need 😊😅
That is awesome.

Got any patches to share to help inspire the community?

What am I doing wrong that this video doesn't play, just spins? Weird, it runs on the forum if I use Chrome rather than Firefox. That sucks.
Update: Did a little searching and found "FIXED: Youtube Not Working In Firefox Browser | Won't Load" video. Going through his suggestions, I found out it will run on the forum in Firefox when using "New private window". Weird!
Final Update: Application menu > Help > More troubleshooting information > Do both "Clear startup cache..." and "Refresh Firefox..."
Sorry to hijack the tread, but it was pissing me off.

I had same problem...if you are signed into your youtube account your videos will spin instead of playing with Firefox.
Make sure you are signed out and try again.

Y'all making this more complicated than it is. Under-the-hood improvements (algo or parameters) always get applied automatically. If user action is required the release notes will say so.
Yes but as sometimes you have to do it and sometimes not, imagine that one day he forgot to mention that you have to reboot the block, so you don’t have the new algo and 🤷.
(Repeating all said so far but summarizing and boiling it down to the bare bones ideas - ChatGPT-free.)

As yek says clearly in his amp comprehensive reset guide, the underlying amp algorithm is always updated -- that's what a FW update is. No amp block "reboot" is required to get the latest amp algorithm(s).

Amp parameters saved in existing presets:
  1. Some FW updates automatically change/remove/add/reset certain (internal/external) amp parameters when a preset is loaded. There is nothing to be done other than auditioning and adjusting as desired.
  2. Some FW updates don't automatically change/reset certain parameters although they will now behave differently (e.g. different slope, different interaction with the new algorithm). Thus an amp reset can make sense to start from baseline and then audition and adjust to taste.
Cliff seems pretty good about alerting users as to when audition/reset is advised. One is always free to reset for peace of mind. However: user beware as Piing points out.

Back
Top Bottom