Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.02 Public Beta (Beta 2)

a very unique sounding limiter actually. Jamie West- Oram used them for this super spanky sound which is really tricky to get with any other unit...
Ha it begins to speak about “limiter” here too? I just opened a wish about that.

Maybe it is already possible to do a output limiter with the comp we have, if I remember, someone tell that a long time ago but I still don’t know how. What I miss is something, a line or an arrow you set in a metter bar, that block the sound to “0” ( or less ) whatever you do .
Maybe there is a reason that we don’t have that already, but I don’t know it

Ha it begins to speak about “limiter” here too? I just opened a wish about that.

Maybe it is already possible to do a output limiter with the comp we have, if I remember, someone tell that a long time ago but I still don’t know how. What I miss is something, a line or an arrow you set in a metter bar, that block the sound to “0” ( or less ) whatever you do .
Maybe there is a reason that we don’t have that already, but I don’t know it
To use a comp as a limiter you just need to set the ratio as high as it will go (10:1 or 20:1) then set the threshold so you are barely engaging it, like 1DB or less, and set your output gain manually not automatically and adjust the level where you want it to sit.

To use a comp as a limiter you just need to set the ratio as high as it will go (10:1 or 20:1) then set the threshold so you are barely engaging it, like 1DB or less, and set your output gain manually not automatically and adjust the level where you want it to sit.
Infinite ratio is a hard limiter. Add a little look ahead and you're there. Soften the knee a touch and it can be musical too.

Infinite ratio is a hard limiter. Add a little look ahead and you're there. Soften the knee a touch and it can be musical too.
That all depends on the compressor you choose to turn into a limiter. An 1176 for example does not have the ability to change the knee, yet is still fairly "musical" even as a hard limiter. That is because the 1176 is already a soft knee and not a hard knee.

That all depends on the compressor you choose to turn into a limiter. An 1176 for example does not have the ability to change the knee, yet is still fairly "musical" even as a hard limiter. That is because the 1176 is already a soft knee and not a hard knee.
Right - I'm just talking about models in the Axe FX.

Right - I'm just talking about models in the Axe FX.
Technically the JFET (or FET) is based on an 1176, so... It is similar. I know in the AFX3 you can change the knee and a bunch of other things, you can't in the original, but by default, it should be pretty close to the original. You can make the knee softer or harder in the AFX3, but in the original hardware that is not the case. There are a ton of others in the AFX3 as well that are not based on the same things, so those are for sure more likely to be what you originally described.

a very unique sounding limiter actually. Jamie West- Oram used them for this super spanky sound which is really tricky to get with any other unit...
I used to mix a band whose guitarist used an Ashley compressor, sounded really a lot like those Fixx records.

That's just another name for a ristretto in my house.
I thought it might've been something that requires a 9V battery (or optional Truetone OneSpot)..."today Champions on 5 minute Tone tips, first lock the cats outside the room and call the wife, it's getting ready to be glorious up in here...":oops:

Ok, this might be a stupid question but do people use a compressor and sustainer together or separate? I'm thinking the sustainer might be nice for soloing and the compressor for just the regular rhythm? Is that correct or am I totally off here?

Ok, this might be a stupid question but do people use a compressor and sustainer together or separate? I'm thinking the sustainer might be nice for soloing and the compressor for just the regular rhythm? Is that correct or am I totally off here?

There is no rule to making music / tones.
If it sounds good to you, it is good.

just be mindful of the noise level when using a sustainer

Yeah it is not so complicated once you understand how it work. The error I do everytime for example is when I want to edit a block, I press the “enter” knob and not “edit”. I think I make this mistake everytime I tweak with the front panel 🤣. I forget that …
You are not alone. I do this every single time I am using the front pannel :tearsofjoy:. I too preffer Axe Edit, but I like using the physical knobs on the unit :)

Back
Top Bottom