Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question....

The Axe-Fx has improved leaps and bounds over the years. I definitely hear a major difference between the first version of the Axe and software and the latest. But the differences are not as noticeable anymore.

I'm curious if there is some practical limit on how many updates it will take to get to something that we can all call "as good as a real amp." So many updates say "algorithm more accurately models..." or "improved" this or that. Is the modeling currently accurate to 90% of a real amp? 95%? 99%? I would appreciate more quantitative data that that help me understand how many more updates will be required to finally be a "real" amp or close enough that none of us (even the pro musicians) can tell the difference. I can't trust my ears and brain any longer because I don't hear much difference at all. The control and effects additions are obviously not the subject of my question. I'm referring to the amp modeling.

Thank you @FractalAudio and all the FAS team for your hard work. Unfortunately, I’ve observed an issue which I guess is a possible bug.

I hear a glitch noise followed by the higher single notes when I play higher positions on 1st/2nd strings (especially noticeable when bending) from “AC-20 12AX7 Bass”, “AC-20 EF86 Bass”, and “Matchbox D-30” amp models, when 2 Amp blocks are engaged.
Here’s the sound clip of “AC-20 12AX7 Bass”:

This issue is detailed in a dedicated thread, which covers conditions when issues were observed, preset syx, DI signal from my guitar (when the sound clips were recorded). Please refer to the following URL and I’m looking forward to this issue to be solved.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-models-when-2-amp-blocks-are-engaged.188402/

Question....

The Axe-Fx has improved leaps and bounds over the years. I definitely hear a major difference between the first version of the Axe and software and the latest. But the differences are not as noticeable anymore.

I'm curious if there is some practical limit on how many updates it will take to get to something that we can all call "as good as a real amp." So many updates say "algorithm more accurately models..." or "improved" this or that. Is the modeling currently accurate to 90% of a real amp? 95%? 99%? I would appreciate more quantitative data that that help me understand how many more updates will be required to finally be a "real" amp or close enough that none of us (even the pro musicians) can tell the difference. I can't trust my ears and brain any longer because I don't hear much difference at all. The control and effects additions are obviously not the subject of my question. I'm referring to the amp modeling.
Sounds like you already have the answer for you...

It's kind of like asking "when will I know everything about music?".

The more you know, the more you know how much you don't know...

Cliff obviously has amazing ears and also knows both how the tube amps function and the science / math to simulate that with programming.

As he mentioned in one of these beta threads, he finally solved some issues that have been bothering him for years.

I'll bet he has a list of things as long as his arm that he wants to solve or optimize or make more accurate.

I think for the vast majority of us, it's been at that point for a long time. I'm not trying to match any real amp, just get tones I enjoy. I've been able to do that for years... But it keeps getting "better" for me.

My presets sound so much better to me, like a blanket being lifted off. Good to know about the speaker drive. That is maybe what I didn't like as much from the beta 4. This is firmware 21.00 BETA 7. If you need it to be perfect, stick to the releases. There are going to be some things still getting worked out until it becomes a release.

As he mentioned in one of these beta threads, he finally solved some issues that have been bothering him for years.
That's the most exciting thing to me! It's amazing to see how it just keeps getting better, and with the firmwares since Cygnus X1 (remember the 'old' Cygnus? :tearsofjoy: ) it seems that each new major version is a major leap in amp modelling technology, not just incremental improvements.

As the title of the thread says "Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate (Beta 7)"
You're missing his point. We used to regularly see release candidate betas... Now we almost never do. It's public beta(s) then release version most of the time.

Question: When you reset the 1959 SLP jumped (or Treble) the bright cap resets to 4700. Is that correct? I thought it used to be at 4999. Which is correct?

FYI

I installed this version (updating from 21 beta 4) using Fractal Bot from Axe-Edit and after rebooting, my Output 1 lights maxed out and all sound stops.

I tried rebooting several times and I would get a few seconds of sound before the lights max out & sound stops.

Same issue after reloading the firmware again.

FYI

I installed this version (updating from 21 beta 4) using Fractal Bot from Axe-Edit and after rebooting, my Output 1 lights maxed out and all sound stops.

I tried rebooting several times and I would get a few seconds of sound before the lights max out & sound stops.

Same issue after reloading the firmware again.
Try the emergency boot procedure and try selecting a different preset or loading a different one over the current slot.

Try the emergency boot procedure and try selecting a different preset or loading a different one over the current slot.
Thanks for the tip. If I switch to another preset, then reboot. It works. Going back to the original preset re-triggers the issue.

I guess the original preset somehow got corrupted?

Thanks for the tip. If I switch to another preset, then reboot. It works. Going back to the original preset re-triggers the issue.

I guess the original preset somehow got corrupted?
That's what I was suspecting... Glad you got past the issue.

What if you restore the preset from a backup?

Been playing for hours and damned happy ! I never really liked the Herbies much so can't comment however I do have one preset that causes the output lights to max out and all audio stops. The only thing to restore functionality is to reboot. Not a biggie but odd.

The preset at one time started as a @fremen preset but I've morphed it over time. Can I still post it here ?

Question....

Why should we narrow our reference of a good tone to what "real" amps can offer?

A/B tests with the "real thing" and with other modelers have become so boring. Just dial a good tone and enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom