Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a clip of Herbie 3 that hopefully illustrates what I'm talking about- gain and eq knobs at noon, everything else at default values. Using one of the stock Diezel 4x12 IRs, the 121 I think. It just seems flubby and fuzzed out in a way it didn't before. I want to say there's more gain than before- I used to run a TS boost into it to tighten things up even more but if I do that now it just becomes unusable. But that might just be my ears telling me something when the hardware is actually doing something different.

What happens if you do this
Turn down to the depth , turn off the speaker drive , turn on the bright switch , switch your SIC to Uk FB load box , change mic to SM57 turn up the treb pres
Play w NFB

Too me it just sounds like a very dark low mid amp with to much sun bass which I have actually seen people complain about in the M1
That why Deizel made MK3

Leon’s clip above of the 2+ sounds to me like the amp
It’s dark and compressed but has a certain sound

Here's a clip of Herbie 3 that hopefully illustrates what I'm talking about- gain and eq knobs at noon, everything else at default values. Using one of the stock Diezel 4x12 IRs, the 121 I think. It just seems flubby and fuzzed out in a way it didn't before. I want to say there's more gain than before- I used to run a TS boost into it to tighten things up even more but if I do that now it just becomes unusable. But that might just be my ears telling me something when the hardware is actually doing something different.

That was exactly what I experienced with Beta 4 - hard to describe the sound, but yeah - fuzzed out, not defined at all. My limited experience with the Herbie 3 was that it was dark, yet defined, and could be dialed in to sound bright but not fizzy.

That is Cliff's prerogative, there's nothing that says he has to follow a particular naming strategy.
I'm not saying he has to follow a naming strategy.

It used to be that when a beta had been I'm circulation a while and only a minor fix here and there was required, a release candidate was issued before the final version.

For those wanting to use the beta but wanted to make sure the risks of major bugs had been ironed out it was a pretty safe bet before the final version.

Now we only have beta -> final release.

Not a problem for me but as someone who's worked in software development and validation of safety critical systems, I was just interested that's all.

It doesn’t sound broken to me. Actually, it sounds comparable to this:

It doesn’t sound broken to me. Actually, it sounds comparable to this:

That’s a MK3 which is a lot brighter and more upper mid the older Mk1 and 2 were darker more low mid
That was the complaint they did not cut through the mix
In a 2 guitar band a HerbMk1 would get buried by a Marshall or 5153

Would you buy an amp, set all of the controls to noon, then complain that it didn't sound right? Adjust the parameters, especially the Master Volume and Bass- turn both down. I believe the Master Volume is one of the most overlooked parameters when it comes to amps "not sounding the same".

My first thought when reading your comment was "Well yeah, I would expect flubby and fizzy with a 121," but then I loaded up the beta with my go-to V30 IR and it does not sound great. Super compressed, like Cliff said, to the point where it sounded like it was pumping constantly. I tweaked the amp, adjusted the MV, gave it plenty of headroom, lowered the gain with a TS in front, etc, but perhaps this model just isn't for me.

Thx Fremen ! I think it does and if so I’ll replace it and post.

Here is the preset that causes the output LEDs to max out and the unit becoming unresponsive until a reboot.
Posted with @fremen permission as it started out as one of his presets. I've deleted the IR as asked.

Attachments

• TransAtlantic pact F Amb 7 D_20221105_100537.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
Here is the preset that causes the output LEDs to max out and the unit becoming unresponsive until a reboot.
Posted with @fremen permission as it started out as one of his presets. I've deleted the IR as asked.
OH ! This has a Shiva as well (just seeing Cliffs comments not to use the Shiva for now)

Would you buy an amp, set all of the controls to noon, then complain that it didn't sound right? Adjust the parameters, especially the Master Volume and Bass- turn both down. I believe the Master Volume is one of the most overlooked parameters when it comes to amps "not sounding the same".
Most amps are tuned to sound good with the controls around noon, yes. The "old" Herbie 3 certainly did. If the master volume defaults to "sounds bad" then that's an issue with the defaults- and not usually the case with Fractal models. And FWIW I tried turning all the knobs to try and improve things; no dice. I used the default settings for this clip to try and present the most un-colored snapshot of the sound as I could.

Reactions: mtb
What happens if you do this
Turn down to the depth , turn off the speaker drive , turn on the bright switch , switch your SIC to Uk FB load box , change mic to SM57 turn up the treb pres
Play w NFB

Too me it just sounds like a very dark low mid amp with to much sun bass which I have actually seen people complain about in the M1
That why Deizel made MK3

Leon’s clip above of the 2+ sounds to me like the amp
It’s dark and compressed but has a certain sound
Gave this a shot, still sounds weird and busted. Which is odd because previously the Herbie was a very "plug and play" model for me.

I should note that I have no intention of dying on this particular hill; if this version is "correct," then it's just not for me anymore. Which would be a bummer, because I loved the older versions, but there are like 20 other good high-gain models in the box for me to use so it's not like I have no other options.

Gave this a shot, still sounds weird and busted. Which is odd because previously the Herbie was a very "plug and play" model for me.

I should note that I have no intention of dying on this particular hill; if this version is "correct," then it's just not for me anymore. Which would be a bummer, because I loved the older versions, but there are like 20 other good high-gain models in the box for me to use so it's not like I have no other options.
Agree. Before, the Herbie 3 at its base settings, I knew what tweaks to make for my setup that worked for me, now I don't even know where to begin. Like you said, many more amps that work for me.

It’s sounds like doomy fuzz

Yeah I actually kinda like it. It’s, well, different.

I guess the problem with shipping with defaults that sound good, is that we will all have a different taste in what that “good” should sound like.

I can’t remember who said that whichever amp they try, they always tweak it to sound the same as their favourite ‘sound’. (That’s definitely me as well.) So it seems like this amp is way outside a fair few people’s idea of good! But yeah at those defaults it might not sit well in a mix, but I kinda dig it tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom