Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do we know what is a bug or what is too much (cold pressed) coffee (slammed down of course), some sort of ear fatigue or confirmation bias? The whole premise of objective facts could possibly only happen if we had recordings released by FAS of what each amp sounds like. Even then different guitars, rooms, playing styles etc. would bring in subjectivity. Till then I would personally have people let them know what they are hearing and let FAS decide what to do with the feedback.
Now I know why a dog chases its tail; they just can't help it.

Reread the last sentence of my comment. "Having a recording showing the difference(s) would save a lot of back and forth discussions trying to determine if something did in fact change." Posting a recording demonstrating a change in the sound provides objective proof that there is a difference. We're not discussing accuracy between what FAS designed the amp to sound like and what we hear. We're discussing the difference we hear in an amp model from one beta to the next.

If you make a comparison recording and it shows an objective difference, FAS can then investigate to see what caused the change rather than spend time in discussions. If the recording does not reveal a difference, then we can chalk it up to our ears playing tricks on us. Taking a bit of time on our end saves FAS time on their end determining if in fact there is a change that warrants a deeper look at a model or feature.

Suggesting that we continue to make claims of something changing without evidence and let FAS determine which claims to pursue is not really an ideal way to perform a test.

First one is clearly better though
I completely agree. Sometimes when people post audio comparison between various versions, I can maybe discern a difference. However, with this clip, it's clearly an improvement, and I can't wait to try out the Rectos. Waiting for the official release is tough!

I completely agree. Sometimes when people post audio comparison between various versions, I can maybe discern a difference. However, with this clip, it's clearly an improvement, and I can't wait to try out the Rectos. Waiting for the official release is tough!
I didn't experience this improvement on my recto preset though... So maybe i'll try to reset the amp

Now I know why a dog chases its tail; they just can't help it.

Reread the last sentence of my comment. "Having a recording showing the difference(s) would save a lot of back and forth discussions trying to determine if something did in fact change." Posting a recording demonstrating a change in the sound provides objective proof that there is a difference. We're not discussing accuracy between what FAS designed the amp to sound like and what we hear. We're discussing the difference we hear in an amp model from one beta to the next.

If you make a comparison recording and it shows an objective difference, FAS can then investigate to see what caused the change rather than spend time in discussions. If the recording does not reveal a difference, then we can chalk it up to our ears playing tricks on us. Taking a bit of time on our end saves FAS time on their end determining if in fact there is a change that warrants a deeper look at a model or feature.

Suggesting that we continue to make claims of something changing without evidence and let FAS determine which claims to pursue is not really an ideal way to perform a test.
There were 8 bug fixes in the update. There is just no “objective” way to account for those. Submitting a recording is also very subjective. Have you listened to the palm mute recordings in the nose gate thread? Reactions to them are all over the place from yes I hear it to that doesn’t happen to me! I take it that you have no actual suggestions on how to know if a change is a bug or not? Also you should have your dog checked for fleas! Mine doesn’t chase its tail.

Last edited:
Here's my comparison of beta 2 vs beta 1 using Recto 2 and the Maxon. This is my first time ever reamping something so I hope I did it correctly. Same settings for both but I reset the amp and drive blocks beforehand just in case. First half is beta 2, second half is beta 1.

In beta 2, it sounds/feels a bit more boomy in the low end or perhaps low mids. Not sure if that sort of thing will come across in this clip or if I'm imagining it.

Also I'm sure most people will find this to be fizzy garbage. Sounds ferocious to me. :cool:

Thank you for that.

Would be easier to compare if the same phrase was alternating between versions since as recorded there's just too much time between switches to really notice anything.

Hope you take it as the constructive criticism it's trying to be, i appreciate you doing the recording in the first place.

Waiting for the official release is tough!

Thank you for that.

Would be easier to compare if the same phrase was alternating between versions since as recorded there's just too much time between switches to really notice anything.

Hope you take it as the constructive criticism it's trying to be, i appreciate you doing the recording in the first place.
When you open the clip via "listen in browser" you have a full image/visual of the 2 parts, once its playing you can simply select where you want it to start, then click the same part in the other half, ad infinitem, it just continues playing where you click. This way you can hear and compare the parts however you wish to scrutinize them back and forth.

The Beta 2 version definitely has more whoomp to it, like my tremoverb.
"There were several parameters reset in the Amp block: bias, negative feedback, bias excursion times, Input EQ Low Cut, and several others."

If you have any individual settings, the above may change that?

"There were several parameters reset in the Amp block: bias, negative feedback, bias excursion times, Input EQ Low Cut, and several others."

If you have any individual settings, the above may change that?
It will, he answered that in the next sentence of his post:

"If you had manually changed the Input EQ Low Cut to a higher value it would've been reset to default by the latest beta."

If you changed any of these parameters prior installing the Firmware, they would have all been reset to their default value.

Just tried 21 Beta 2 and it sounded awful. Not sure what is going on but it sounded way too bright and fizzy with the effects (pitch and delay mainly) sounding way too high in the mix and also like there was some sort of weird pre delay going on.

Rolling back to 20.04 for now.

Amp blocks I tried were the Bassguy Bright, SLP1959 Treble and the US Pre Clean.

Re-installed 20.04 and everything is fine now. I think I'll wait until the final release for this one.

Just tried 21 Beta 2 and it sounded awful. Not sure what is going on but it sounded way too bright and fizzy with the effects (pitch and delay mainly) sounding way too high in the mix and also like there was some sort of weird pre delay going on.

Rolling back to 20.04 for now.

Amp blocks I tried were the Bassguy Bright, SLP1959 Treble and the US Pre Clean.

Re-installed 20.04 and everything is fine now. I think I'll wait until the final release for this one.

EDIT : Reverted back to 20.04 and then re-installed 21 Beta 2.

Everything seems to be OK now, there must have been some issue with the last firmware upload I did.

It will, he answered that in the next sentence of his post:

"If you had manually changed the Input EQ Low Cut to a higher value it would've been reset to default by the latest beta."

If you changed any of these parameters prior installing the Firmware, they would have all been reset to their default value.
I know, but i don't know what settings lastcaress83 have, hence the question from me.

I think we all need to get in the habit of recording a short DI clip and provide real before and after sound clips. No more of the “juicier”, “beefier”, “thicker”, “sweeter”, “sparklier”, “chunkier” adjectives! The brain is easy to trick, but the ears almost never lie. We need proof!
Going forward, I’ll try to do that.
"Describing sound" is useful.

The engineering side of audio has better terms for describing sound, but they're engineers and roll that way. Musicians are more informal, use "dude" and "bro" and say things like "that has balls" without specifying what "that" was. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom