Axe-Fx Firmware Version 20.05 Public Beta (Beta 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always felt that the Plexi-type amps in the Fractal-verse sound a notch more satisfying than the rest. Not to say that other models aren't awe-inspiring, but the Plexis seem to have a pinch of pixie dust on them!
same feeling here. Until now this is what I will remember the most with this generation of axe. The Marshall really react like you are playing an amp. The fenders are impressive too when you play them loud (And I’m a boogie guy😅).
In general in others modelers, the mid gain stuff suck, it sound super digital. Yes that’s a great product we have here . I hope we will have the same type of magic in high gain stuff one day. Until now I don’t have a favorite high gain amp in the axe, and that’s strange. I like how they sound,I use them daily, but I don’t know there is a little something that make them “neutral”. Maybe the general compression.
I’m still battling with the noise gate, some guitars are more noisy than the others, emg are the most silent ones, but I have this ground noise when I let a note ring that I want to erase.I have tried everything, cables, solders in guitar this and that, and the gate turns off as soon as i play. I don’t want to buy an external gate. Maybe one day who knows.

Quick hit with the Griddle Cake

I stumbled across your SYNTH block vid last night.
I've been considering whether to get a BOSS SY-1 or SY-200 as these are apparently polyphonic and putting the wet signal into the Axe using the OUTPUT 3 and INPUT 3 blocks and using the Axe's effects will allow so many possibilities, plus the sound of an amp can be mixed in.
I don't have clue about the synth block and it was great the way you took the sawtooth waves, paned them, detuned them and did other things very helpful. A guitar player instructing other guitar players, as I find the whole synth thing can get too boffin-like.
If someone could point me to a simple resource about synthesis, that would be great. I found a resourcd once, it was a series of loads of episodes spread out over a guitar mag, but too in depth for me.

After what you guys have said about the Marshalls, I think I'll give this one a spin.
Was going to wait until full release but the combination of Les Paul into jumped Marshall is just far too tempting.
Been looking up that little Marshall as well, Supposed to be like a plexi, but 20W, and can also be scaled down to 5W so there are no awkward sonically generated incidents when cranking it in a bedroom.

Duuude, how completely and totally awesome. First my favorite amp of the Axe was the 6CA7 Plexi, then it was the 1959 SLP. Now we have a jumpered 6CA7 and improved accuracy on the jumpered SLP, and fixed cap value on the SLP. And the new amp is another Plexi!!! How freaking awesome. The Axe-FX III made me a Plexi freak, and I'm in heaven. And I can play a Plexi without the ghost notes too if I want by increasing the B+ Time Constant if I want, or I can eliminate the fizz by reducing the various bias excursions. Dude, seriously, nothing could be more awesome in the world of tone. I feel really fortunate that I bought this monster.

Thank you thank you thank you Cliff, Matt, and all the engineers at Fractal for what you do. This is truly a box of happiness. You guys don't ever have to engage in the kind of innovation, continual improvement, and adding of extra goodies that you do, but you do it anyway. I don't know the impetus for this, but it's a little oasis of the way things should be. I'm blown away.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there any chance you could upload a preset that helps with Marshall model’s ghost notes and fizz? Been playing around with it and not having much luck. Absolutely love the Marshall models but would love to be able to tame that a little bit. Would be a great help. I could start a new thread to avoid interrupting the new firmware love, please let me know if that’s cool.

I've been considering whether to get a BOSS SY-1 or SY-200 as these are apparently polyphonic and putting the wet signal into the Axe using the OUTPUT 3 and INPUT 3 blocks and using the Axe's effects will allow so many possibilities, plus the sound of an amp can be mixed in.
I do exactly this with an SY-1 and it is beyond glorious. Having said that, I will sell my SY-1 immediately the day when the Axe Fx gets a polyphonic synth.

there are no awkward sonically generated incidents when cranking it in a bedroom.
A friend who has one says that it’s definitely not a bedroom amp. It does need to be cranked to louder and painful levels.

@FractalAudio, any chance of requesting an 11th hour addition of giving us the sometimes added .68uf cap on the cathode follower cathode as a boost option, seeing as how you’re improving the Marshalls? I know it’s already in one of the amps but I put that mod in all my builds and it’s the best boost ever for a Marshall. Just throwing it out there seeing how it’s already kind of in place. I’ll put it in the wish list thread.

@FractalAudio, any chance of requesting an 11th hour addition of giving us the sometimes added .68uf cap on the cathode follower cathode as a boost option, seeing as how you’re improving the Marshalls? I know it’s already in one of the amps but I put that mod in all my builds and it’s the best boost ever for a Marshall. Just throwing it out there seeing how it’s already kind of in place. I’ll put it in the wish list thread.
The following models have the 0.68uF cap on the second triode:
Plexi 50W Normal
Plexi 50W High 2
Plexi 50W Jumped
Brit Brown
Plexi 100W Normal
Plexi 100W High
Plexi 100W Jumped
Plexi 100W 1970
1959SLP Normal
1959SLP Treble
1959SLP Jumped

The following models have the 0.68uF cap on the second triode:
Plexi 50W Normal
Plexi 50W High 2
Plexi 50W Jumped
Brit Brown
Plexi 100W Normal
Plexi 100W High
Plexi 100W Jumped
Plexi 100W 1970
1959SLP Normal
1959SLP Treble
1959SLP Jumped
Ok, I thought it was only 1. Awesome!

i don't wanna call anyone out but... geez fractal has truly spoiled us. bought my axefx3 in 2018, and I'm getting two new amps in 2022? and a new drive pedal? I think we officially moved to the "above and beyond zone" somewhere in 2019. I'm not a huge plexi guy, but I am super thankful and am certain I'll love it. Thank you again fractal!

I meant to say exactly what I said. My honest feedback to Fractal is that the world has hundreds of notable tube amps that I would have rather added before an SV20H. Dev time is finite, why spend it here? Maybe an artist really wanted it or something.

Ask for your money back on how much the update cost you then.

I'm sure there's a number of reasons why Cliff added this model, personally I'm looking forward to trying it

I have never played a real Marshall amp. My first real amp was the original 5150. So through the years I always stayed close to that sound. Since getting the axe fx III I've started playing lots of Van Halen with the 59SLP. It is so much more unforgiving than a high gain amp and has made me a better player. Noticed a difference in that preset (In a good way) after this update. Thank you FAS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom