Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.03

I must say, the global speaker impedance curve has changed everything for the better for me.

I tend to think of my tone this way: I find a cab that gives me the right frequency spectrum and “final” character I’d like, then I find an amp (plus OD if necessary) to provide the articulation and “fundamental” character I’d like, for lack of better descriptors. With the III, this is all very easy and quick. What’s really changed is that global speaker impedance setting, which, if you can find a stock one that melds well with your guitar and your IR, acts as the glue to make your tone responsive and alive. With the new ability to set it globally, it makes auditioning amps the most efficient it could possibly be. I cannot say how much I love it; it allows me to focus entirely on the articulation each amp provides, to get a better comparison, knowing the power amp of each model is being loaded, if that’s the right term, in the same way by the same speaker impedance curve. It’s so huge. It would also be awesome to set a custom curve for the global setting.

Whenever I read about problems with the feel of a FAS model, my immediate thought is that the user simply needs a new speaker impedance curve, either stock or custom. This setting so depends on your guitar and your playing to be right, and it takes some experimentation, but to me it’s the difference that makes your tone feel right while playing.

Anyway, I’m finding the process of tone building even more thrilling now. My thanks to the person who proposed the idea, those who advocated for it, and to Cliff and FAS for implementing it.

Nobody forces you to update... This topic has been re-hashed ad nauseum.

You can take the improvements and deal with adjusting your presets or you can stay where you are and not worry about it. You can't have both.

I wonder what would happen if FAS took his advice and from this moment on they kept refining the FM3's Firmware indefinitely before even trying to port the Pitch Block... o_O

Has anyone else noticed a bug in the filter block? The null type doesn't seem to have any affect. I was previously using the null type for a 2.5 dB boost and realized that it was not making any difference in level. Even if I turn down the gain to -12 dB there is no audible difference between bypassed and engaged. I have tried this on multiple presets. It is also an issue in the FM9 2.0b firmware.

Has anyone else noticed a bug in the filter block? The null type doesn't seem to have any affect. I was previously using the null type for a 2.5 dB boost and realized that it was not making any difference in level. Even if I turn down the gain to -12 dB there is no audible difference between bypassed and engaged. I have tried this on multiple presets. It is also an issue in the FM9 2.0b firmware.
I remember using the null filter back o my AF Ultra, for exactly that purpose. I’ll be back home soon, so I’ll test it on the AF3. Lee

Can't remember how it worked previously but I can confirm that the gain knob doesn't do anything.
But you can use the level parameter for now in the exact same way.

I can say without hyperbole or any lack of sincerity: The Axe3 helped bring me and my Dad together this weekend after years of our relationship being very poor. As he now has Alzheimer's (still early enough that he's still there for now) I'm trying to help mom and dad and my sister keep things cool and level for him.
The cover tune I gave him for Christmas is all he is talking about today, he's sharing it around with his circle. Makes me feel very good.

We also tried to A/B Dad's amazing home-built Fender amps (a few '57 Twins, a Deluxe, and a Bassman) against my Axe3 but we were thwarted by my Headrush 108s. They are just too bassy on the floor and pulling lows out from the global EQ meant I wasn't really comparing them, but of course the Axe did very well considering Dad built those amps and would never concede much to any modeler (that is, until Saturday when he met the Axe which is now the apple of his eye.)

That is my Fractal Holiday Trip Report: Cliff Chase saves a failing father/son relationship. :p

Fractal no longer shows up as audio driver in Windows10 or Ma BigSur OS after my upgrade to 18.03 yesterday. Has anyone experienced this? Tried other cable, reinstalling driver, upgraded driver. Tested old OS back up. Everything seems to point to the FX3 being the trouble. Also Axe Edit no longer connects

I can say without hyperbole or any lack of sincerity: The Axe3 helped bring me and my Dad together this weekend after years of our relationship being very poor. As he now has Alzheimer's (still early enough that he's still there for now) I'm trying to help mom and dad and my sister keep things cool and level for him.
The cover tune I gave him for Christmas is all he is talking about today, he's sharing it around with his circle. Makes me feel very good.

We also tried to A/B Dad's amazing home-built Fender amps (a few '57 Twins, a Deluxe, and a Bassman) against my Axe3 but we were thwarted by my Headrush 108s. They are just too bassy on the floor and pulling lows out from the global EQ meant I wasn't really comparing them, but of course the Axe did very well considering Dad built those amps and would never concede much to any modeler (that is, until Saturday when he met the Axe which is now the apple of his eye.)

That is my Fractal Holiday Trip Report: Cliff Chase saves a failing father/son relationship. :p

I trimmed out some pieces of yoga mat and made isolation pads for my headrush 108s to help with low resonance when placed on hard flooring. Also make sure the contour button is in flat response mode or it'll add more bass. Cool that your dad's appreciation for music rubbed off on you. The good ol like father like son moment. Hopefully this recent bond of music and gear with you and your dad will keep his spirits up through his tough time. Happy holidays

For me, too, most of the presets no longer sound harmonious with this update.
Don't the factory presets have to be updated again?

For me, too, most of the presets no longer sound harmonious with this update.
Don't the factory presets have to be updated again?
Only general thing I'm aware of is that compressors have changed and may not output the same levels they used to, as mentioned in the release notes.

Back
Top Bottom