Axe-Fest Live Report

any word on the new Axe Edit yet?
...........................I am extremely envious of all you guys that could make this trip.
I really hope we can get one together in the Boston area.
also....What FRFR guys are there?

Would love to get some news on this as well!

Wow I just read through the whole thread and I'm very, VERY excited about scenes and new IR's!!!

Thanks to Fractal and everyone else that made this event possible!

One vote for a Colorado Axe-Fest here!

+1000.

Actually, I'm trying to figure out a way in which Wildwood Guitars and Fractal would see fit to put on a joint event. Wildwood often does customer-invitation events.

This way, both crack dealers would be in the same place. :)

Dave

Another big "thank you" to everybody posting from the event and recording its proceedings. Really enjoying it.

I had to leave a bit early to catch my flight to Austin...when I left the whole group was in the other room listening to Cooper Carter play as they went through almost a dozen different FRFR setups, it was way cool...

Are these new "scenes" adressable by CCs ? And if yes: Can the MFC-101 in AxeFx Mode = ON send a CC within a PC Switch? If so, that would be awesome: You won`t have to save up to 8 times the same preset on your Axe-Fx on different Preset-Numbers with only changes in the bypass (and X/Y?!?!?!?! please...), because the scenes would do all this in the same preset ... Would be aweome, if i it would work like this. And the last reason to use AxeFx Mode = OFF would be obsolete!
Bypass states and relative volume only

Since I know several of my Axe West colleagues are following this thread, just wanted to say I was sorry was not able to say goodbye in person to everyone I met attending, but was GRAND meeting each and everyone of you, and putting faces to forum names. We are one lucky community!

Seriously, does every thread have dissolve to this?

Seriously, yes it does.

but a public beta could be unveiled as soon as Axe-Fest West. It is a strategic priority.

We will not rest until you are 110% satisfied.

I don't think simply asking if it was shown at the show when it was stated from Fractal that it probably would be shown at the show is unreasonable especially with the comment that Fractal will not rest until we are 110% satisfied.

I am not satisfied not knowing if it was shown or not shown and I have every right to ask. Sorry if you don't like it.

Luke, others don't like hearing about you complaining about getting your favorite Fender amp modeled into the Axe, but Fractal never promised it to you either, did they?

Last edited:
Seriously, yes it does.

I don't think simply asking if it was shown at the show when it was stated from Fractal that it probably would be shown at the show is unreasonable especially with the comment that Fractal will not rest until we are 110% satisfied.

I am not satisfied not knowing if it was shown or not shown and I have every right to ask. Sorry if you don't like it.

Luke, others don't like hearing about you complaining about getting your favorite Fender amp modeled into the Axe, but Fractal never promised it to you either, did they?

I don't think it is ready yet. They did not mention it so I don't think they will release it especiallly if it is half baked. You would be even more unhappy.

Check the edit section for the dedicated thread on this.

An item promoted as sonically flexible not possessing a benchmark amp like the Super Reverb is odd IMO.

Just a small note: It was really good getting to meet and chat with some of you guys (Mark, Craig, Scott, Mark Day, Cliff, Zentman!, etc). That alone was almost as much fun as the Axefest itself. I hope this is something that becomes a yearly event. If they pulled off something so fun and educational in six weeks, imagine what can be done with a year of planning! Amazing! Thanks ot everyone involved for organizing it and putting your hard work and time and energy into making the event so successful

Sundays' festivities began with Matt (Admin M@) passing the microphone around to members of the audience so that everyone (well, almost everyone; I was one of those who chickened out) could introduce themselves and describe their personal involvement with the Axe and guitar-playing. After that, Matt had several of the fine folks who helped put the whole shebang together introduce themselves as well.

Unfortunately, I missed the next section about the use of the AxeII for film soundtrack work.* After that, there was an impressive presentation by ccroyalsenders (Cooper Carter of the You Tube "Solo A Week" series). Later on, there was a talk about the basics of properly setting up your guitar by Bishop Cochran; Matt (Admin M@) finally was able to fit in his several-times-postponed talk about proper methods for setting the levels within a patch and between patches; and there was an amazing demonstration of controlling the Axe II using an iPad running a custom-designed Lemur application created through a labor-of-love by Scrutinizer. The final discussion was a short and informative talk by a friendly chap (Matt Botton?) from event co-sponsor Matrix about the use of their equipment in conjunction with Axe units. To close out the second day, Mark Day did another fine performance to bookend with his Saturday morning opener.

Sometime during the afternoon, there was the greatly-anticipated "field trip" to the room next door for an extended shoot-out session between the FRFR systems that were on hand. [Also see FRFR tests at AXE-FEST WEST 2012] The sounds used for this were: 1) Cooper Carter playing a high-gain patch containing good "thump"; 2) Cooper playing a fairly clean guitar patch; and finally 3) a prerecorded blues backing track containing drums, bass, and organ. The general consensus was that although different, all of the systems could "get the job done" as a speaker system for the Axe, and that the "right" (or "best") system to get was a matter of personal preference combined with what one could afford and/or wished to lug around. [I personally currently use a pair of QSC K10's which I find pretty good, but when I can afford it I plan to upgrade to Scott Peterson's fave: the RCF NX12 SMA because of their superior midrange clarity, the imaging (gotta love coaxials!), and the form factor.]

Another very fun and educational day! It was wonderful to meet many of the fine people whose forum contributions I have been reading for a long time. Many, many thanks to all of those responsible for setting this wonderful event up!!

*(I had to duck out for a while because I couldn't resist seeing a fascinating panel discussion being just down the hall featuring five excellent players, one of whom was my friend Jamie Kime - check out guitartalkpodcast.com)

That was one well put together weekend!!! Kudos to all the folks that organized this spectacular event. Thanks for letting me play for a few minutes, I had a blast. I haven't played on a stage in quite a while and never without a band, so I was a bit nervous :) Met so many really nice folks and it was great to put faces to names.

I wish I could have spent more time in the Fractal area, but I had to be at the Friedman room for a lot of the weekend(which wasn't exactly like work either lol). I'm very lucky to have the job I have and I have to thank you guys for watching my silly videos and supporting me, it is so much appreciated!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom