Axe-Fest Live Report

All I know is that Ryan, the new Fractal employee, is part of the development team. So they are they are spending resources to make a good product here.

Best wishes to Ryan, Axe Edit's re-vamp has got to be a lot of pressure when you are trying to impress your new employer. The pressure from the user community has got to be tough but no doubt he's putting even more on himself.

Thanks for the reports. Sounds like a blast. The scene piece will be huge for me. Most of what I do in a song is kick various things in a preset on and off, so being able to do combos and levels in one push would be great. I occasionally have some unfortunate and unexpected tones when trying to quickly kick 2-3 things on/off in a patch in quick succession.

If I remember correctly, James also said that he was willing to share his patches, I believe. And so will Dweezil with his Dynoflanger patch. I'm excited.

Matt said that he was going to create an entire section for Axechange for artists.

Yup, James did say he would post his patches. I agree completely with other comments made about his tone and playing. His enthusiasm and attention to detail was incredible. He was also very friendly and approachable. Getting an endorsement from a player with his ear and credentials says volumes about how great the AxeFXII sounds. James mentioned two or three times that he talks tone on a regular basis with Eric Johnson. That gives you some idea about his ear and experience.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who put the event together. It was exciting and super informative. I got my goal of learning more about the Axe-Fx, as well as putting faces to the names of some of the forum members. Quite surreal. I also found out first hand how much of a monster and energetic genius is Matt. He couldn't stay at one place for more than 10 seconds.

I would have like to talk and hang out more or jammed with the guys but I know they are super busy and stuff.

Hope to see you guys again soon.

Yup, James did say he would post his patches. I agree completely with other comments made about his tone and playing. His enthusiasm and attention to detail was incredible. He was also very friendly and approachable. Getting an endorsement from a player with his ear and credentials says volumes about how great the AxeFXII sounds. James mentioned two or three times that he talks tone on a regular basis with Eric Johnson. That gives you some idea about his ear and experience.

This guy is great (James Santiago). Cannot wait to hear his tones! You should check out his videos on youtube for some inspiration:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/voodoolabvid/videos?view=0[/video]

and here (With Jimmy Johnson on bass (James Taylor!):

beddy tasteey!!!

Last edited:
Matt was awesome. He did a great job orchestrating the event. It was great to meet Craig and Kerry and Sean and all the Scotts (of which I am one), and Lawrence, and Cooper. I really enjoyed hanging with Ryan as well and talking a bit with Cliff. I flew down from Washington State. It was well worth the trip.

Tosin Abasi was a revelation. Completely awesome musician and very humble and friendly. His performance was definitely a highlight.

It was a great event.

Last edited:
To all the TX posters commenting here.. we HAD an Axe-Fest in Dallas, back on Jan 29th, 2012.
Folks came from surrounding area with their rigs and as far afield as Austin.

If there's an interest, let's see if we can get another one set up....

Thanks for James Santiago tip. He sure can play and has great tones. I looked at some cool stuff on the Voodoo Labs website. He has some very helpful explanations for how he's using various pedals to create tones. I look forward to his Axe contributions.

I can hear the EJ influence, but he's got his own thing, too, which I really like. He's a seriously toneful dude. I love the singing quality to his sound and the fact that he doesn't overplay. Beautiful stuff.

Thanks for James Santiago tip. He sure can play and has great tones. I looked at some cool stuff on the Voodoo Labs website. He has some very helpful explanations for how he's using various pedals to create tones. I look forward to his Axe contributions.

I can hear the EJ influence, but he's got his own thing, too, which I really like. He's a seriously toneful dude. I love the singing quality to his sound and the fact that he doesn't overplay. Beautiful stuff.

+1

As noted by previous commentary Axe-Fest was a great success. It was uplifting to meet so many members of the Fractal community who had gathered to learn and share their knowledge. It actually felt like a musical barn raising with lots of folks pitching into to make it the fun and informative event it was.

I'd like the emphasize the tremendous effort that Craig, Kerry and Matt, put into Axe-Fest
they should be justly proud. Thanks guys, you're #1.

Bishop

To all the TX posters commenting here.. we HAD an Axe-Fest in Dallas, back on Jan 29th, 2012.
Folks came from surrounding area with their rigs and as far afield as Austin.

If there's an interest, let's see if we can get another one set up....
Im game.

Thanks for all the updates. Since I'm on the wrong coast, it's good to live vicariously through those that were fortunate enough to attend.

I've only had my Axe for a few weeks - learned a lot so far & lots more to learn. After reading this thread and seeing what's coming down the road, and as my ability to create good sounding patches increases, I've got no regrets ditching Line 6 for this! Really incredible stuff!

That was one well put together weekend!!! Kudos to all the folks that organized this spectacular event. Thanks for letting me play for a few minutes, I had a blast. I haven't played on a stage in quite a while and never without a band, so I was a bit nervous :) Met so many really nice folks and it was great to put faces to names.

I wish I could have spent more time in the Fractal area, but I had to be at the Friedman room for a lot of the weekend(which wasn't exactly like work either lol). I'm very lucky to have the job I have and I have to thank you guys for watching my silly videos and supporting me, it is so much appreciated!

Mark
Great meeting you Mark. You did a bang up job.

Back
Top Bottom