Axe-Edit Developer's Diary, Jun 13 2013

So Matt, if its a re-write from the ground up does that mean its not using JUCE?

Mark
What's the concern with using Juce? It allows a common code base across multiple OS'es, including mac and Win.

Me, being completely happy with the Axe and the current version of Axe Edit, I totally missed this. The user interface is looking great. Some obvious UI improvements there. It will be nice to have a more streamlined AE soon that is a bit more robust and does not crash as much as the current version, but I'm getting by just fine with what FAS has given us. Anything better/beyond what we currently have is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for keeping us AE guys up to date with the latest firmware and a working AE, even if it's not perfect. I do appreciate it and I do appreciate the efforts going into the new AE. The future is looking very bright indeed! :)

Mac OS10.6.8 compatibility for Axe-Edit 3.0, please!

Looks really good. Great job programmers!

+1

Although I quite like the idea of OS 10.9 with Finder tabs etc, its not worth updating your stable OS until all the drivers and bugs have been ironed out.

Compatibility with older Mac OSes should be no problem, if I understand things correctly. Only the audio functionality requires a newer OS. For MIDI over USB, I believe it will work back to 10.5.7, but please don't hold me to this.

all this talk of the new AE is really exciting...

I'm so looking forward to it [cos my presets are not that easy to noodle with from the front panel]
that said... and for me personally..
being forced to use the front panel for the last few months has, in truth actually been a good thing

I'm running win8 on a laptop/tablet hybrid with a removable touchscreen. Are you guys making the new AxeEdit touchscreen compatible? eg. drag/drop effect blocks, dragging sliders, etc? The old AE worked quite ok with a touchscreen. I'm just wondering since you say it's a complete rewrite.

Keep up the good work!

Me Too!
all this talk of the new AE is really exciting...

I'm so looking forward to it [cos my presets are not that easy to noodle with from the front panel]
that said... and for me personally..
being forced to use the front panel for the last few months has, in truth actually been a good thing

Like the connection checkbox thing in the upper left, most of us never connect more than one Axe Fx at once so no need for a number. The drop down menus are a nice add. I love that all 8 scenes are selectable directly. This will make stepping through them and comparing tones/volumes easy! The "Save" button is nice, with an option on where to save in a dropdown, maybe? A lot easier to see what bank and firmware you're looking at in that format (instead of the file format syntax). One other thing that seems minor, but probably isn't, is that the matrix is "window wide" with nothing on either side but a slider. More real estate there is good.

The most awesome thing is that you're doing it! The Axe Fx is such a "head and shoulders above" kind of unit that it only makes sense to have an editor of the same caliber. Hat's off to FAS for taking the heat in shutting down the old and developing the new.

FWIW, I know we've taken a lot of heat over Axe-Edit and rightly so. Ultimately I'm the one to blame (as in "the buck stops here"). I suppose the one thing I am most guilty of is giving people too much benefit of a doubt. Ultimately, though, I had to make some difficult decisions and that involved doing something no manager enjoys. In retrospect I should've made that decision far earlier.

The good news is the new software team is fantastic. I check in with them every morning and they are making great progress on Axe-Edit and the associated programs. Axe-Edit is now at the point where the edit menus are being completed. I was given a working demo this morning where you can edit the grid and change parameters in some effects (including most notably the amp block). The underlying framework is mostly complete and now it's just the grunt work of editing XML files and cleaning things up. At the current rate of progress I expect a beta version soon. I can't give a hard date yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it was early July or even sooner.

I believe you will all greatly enjoy the new editor. It finally implements my vision of an "RPC editor" (as in Remote Procedure Call) where the Axe-Fx does all the work and the editor is mainly a remote terminal. This ensures that presets cannot be corrupted and should lead to vastly greater stability.

Back
Top Bottom