Axe-Edit Developer's Diary, Jun 13 2013

@FractalAudio
Great news, excellent news! Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work.

how's about a beta-beta release :)

Actually, I hardly have any problems with the current AE. I think I must not be using all the capabilities, because it rarely gives me a prob. only issue I notice is sometimes the cab name glitches. I think that's about it.

I finally got smart and got a 20' usb cable and control the axe with AE from across the room for most stuff. it's great because the axe is on top of my cab and it sounds great now that I'm in a reasonable listening position.

Sorry to hear about the "manager thing". I hate that part of my job and suffer because of it.

Last edited:
Usually known as an alpha? Don't think you want that.
+1 unless you consider the following to be fun:
  • App crashes
  • AxeFx lockups
  • Corrupted presets
  • Spending time working to reproduce the above so you can write up an informative bug report

Not exactly champagne and caviar, is it?

Very good Cliff and FAS AE team: relying on the AFX hardware is the right way to minimize bugs and improve robustness and keep things the simpliest
great work, appreciate :encouragement:

+1 unless you consider the following to be fun:
  • App crashes
  • AxeFx lockups
  • Corrupted presets
  • Spending time working to reproduce the above so you can write up an informative bug report

Not exactly champagne and caviar, is it?

Btw, you guys get that my post for the beta-beta was a joke, right? I'm happy with what I have now. None of the issues you list.

FWIW, I know we've taken a lot of heat over Axe-Edit and rightly so. Ultimately I'm the one to blame (as in "the buck stops here"). I suppose the one thing I am most guilty of is giving people too much benefit of a doubt. Ultimately, though, I had to make some difficult decisions and that involved doing something no manager enjoys. In retrospect I should've made that decision far earlier.

The good news is the new software team is fantastic. I check in with them every morning and they are making great progress on Axe-Edit and the associated programs. Axe-Edit is now at the point where the edit menus are being completed. I was given a working demo this morning where you can edit the grid and change parameters in some effects (including most notably the amp block). The underlying framework is mostly complete and now it's just the grunt work of editing XML files and cleaning things up. At the current rate of progress I expect a beta version soon. I can't give a hard date yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it was early July or even sooner.

I believe you will all greatly enjoy the new editor. It finally implements my vision of an "RPC editor" (as in Remote Procedure Call) where the Axe-Fx does all the work and the editor is mainly a remote terminal. This ensures that presets cannot be corrupted and should lead to vastly greater stability.

Thanks much for the update Cliff, can't wait for the new paradigm to kick in...

Thanks Cliff!!! Great news :) It's gonna be exciting to see the version 3 !!!
You guys are fantastic, I never knew when I bought my Axe FX II just how awesome
your support is.

In my opinion FAS truly changed everything when it comes to gear, and I'm so thrilled
to even be a part of it as a customer

you all have a good one
//Kenneth

The good news is the new software team is fantastic. I check in with them every morning and they are making great progress on Axe-Edit and the associated programs. Axe-Edit is now at the point where the edit menus are being completed. I was given a working demo this morning where you can edit the grid and change parameters in some effects (including most notably the amp block). The underlying framework is mostly complete and now it's just the grunt work of editing XML files and cleaning things up. At the current rate of progress I expect a beta version soon. I can't give a hard date yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it was early July or even sooner.

I believe you will all greatly enjoy the new editor. It finally implements my vision of an "RPC editor" (as in Remote Procedure Call) where the Axe-Fx does all the work and the editor is mainly a remote terminal. This ensures that presets cannot be corrupted and should lead to vastly greater stability.

Great news. I am thinking about living in colombia the next two months. Just ordered a new FC for the Axe and was debating if I should just use VSTs etc while away from home. I would lose time with the Axe and new FC, so that would be a downside. Not lugging a 4 space rack and a big ass pedal was the upside.

This post may have made up my mind. IF there was finally a new AE and I was away from home for two months. . . . ouch. . .

Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom