Ax8 with EHX Magnum 44

thats my problem is i sit around and "think" also as a gear head I always think it can be better

That's not bad depending on your goals.

If your goals are to constantly tweak and improve your rig, it's legit right?

I like to geek out on gear, but at some point my goal switches to making music and I leave my rig as is for fairly long runs.

Last week i bought an EHX 44 Magnum, just out of curiosity, to play the AX8 thru a Marshall 4x12 at low "apartment volumes" and so far, so good! Don't need now to get behind my rack (disconnect the XL) and plug into the Matrix GT1000! Still need to test it at rehearsal/small gig volumes with a band, but for the price i paid i think it's cool to have it around as an option.

Just got my 44mag pedal today and I can believe how loud it is. I didn't move it past 9:00 and it was plenty loud enough for a stage backline 2 or 4x12. Having my CLR up front and my 2x12 behind me sounds huge! Is it the best power source out there? Probably not. But for such a small footprint it's hard to beat imo

I just got one last week. Plenty loud for sure. I have been using it for rehearsal. It's great, I have the AX8 in a Gator soft case,the 44 fits in the front pocket. I leave a cab at rehearsal, so I just have to carry the bag and a guitar.

I ordered a 44 magnum from GC to compare against my Quilter. In band practice I cant get the Quilter over the 40 watt mark, it is so loud, so maybe 44 watts from the magnum will be good if its clean. I had found the coloration right now on my Quilter adds some high end I dont like. I have to cut in global eq and then it sounds amazing.

I finally got my 44 magnum, WOW! the difference between it and the Quilter is night and day, now I can hear what people are talking about between a more neutral poweramp and a coloring power amp. With the Quilter it sounded awesome but allot of amps didnt sound right and the amps I did use with global eq tweaks sounded good but always seemed something was off. I got to jam the 44 last night and I can hear the character now of each amp and even feel and hear more of how awesome the Quantum 4 update was, I am blown away. With the Quilter I never went to or above 40 watts so I dont see there being any issues. What I did notice , it looks like the LED light is a clipping diode that kicks in above noon, I am going to remove it and see if I gain more headroom and volume. The 44 mag is clean 44 watts to about 11:00, and they say you go above 44 watts into clipping, I think removing the LED if that is the diode like I think it is, then it should go louder and cleaner

So do I understand this correctly?
This is how I would plug it -> Ax8 ->Magnum44 -> 1960A cabinet.
Assuming I would set Ax8 to use pre-amp only and disable CAB block.
Do I disable power amp modeling in the settings?
Thanks

Yes poweramp modeling on for the 44 I noticed the Quilter colored so much it was better with poweramp modeling off , but then everything kind of sounded the same

The original Quilter Tone Block absolutely WILL color your tone quite a bit. This is why Cliff did not recommend it. Same goes for the Magnum 44 too, for that matter.

The new Tone Blocks (when using the effects loop return) and the ISP Stealth should both give you a pretty clean signal path and very little coloration.

The Quilter stuff doesn't color much if at all to my ears so claims that it does or doesn't sounds pretty subjective to me.

The Quilter stuff doesn't color much if at all to my ears so claims that it does or doesn't sounds pretty subjective to me.
That said, I didn't say it sounded bad, just that there is coloration. I quite liked the way the original Tone Block sounded... very warm and TONS of headroom.

compare them and let me know what you think, I didnt think so either before I got my 44
I'll pick one up sometime here in the near future just to have for a back up and I'm sure the AX8 would sound fine through it. I've played a Magnum with pedals in front of it and thought it sounded good but I wouldn't call it neutral. I really like the Quilter and how the AX8 sounds going through it plus I like the extra headroom. I always carry a backpack with my cables etc in it and the Quilter fits in there just fine so the portability of the Magnum isn't a huge draw either.

I like the Quilter with drive pedals, magnum with ax8, every power amp has some color to it, but the tone block has allot, its like when i used a mesa 2:90

Yeah everyone is different... I don't hear any kind of Mesa style coloration at all. With the EQ options on the Quilter I can even use it to effectively help tune the AX8 to room changes on the fly without having to menu dive into the global EQ on the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom