Ax8 with EHX Magnum 44

Smittefar

Axe-Master
I have a ported 1x12 (like the Bogner Cube) that I am not really using these days, since I am mostly going direct to FOH, but I thought I might use it as a grab 'n' go setup with my Ax8. This requires a power amp, but I will only be doing this once or twice a year. I thought about the Magnum 44.

Has anyone tried something like this?

I found @ML SOUND LAB 's old thread about using the thing with his AxeFX http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...gnum-44w-guitar-power-amplifier-axe-fx.59115/, and he seems pretty happy. I guess, if it works with AxeFX, it should work with Ax8. Any new thoughts Mikko?

The Magnum 44 is one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's relatively transparent.. way more neutral that any other SS FRFR power amps that advertise their transparency (out of what I've tried). There are two things you need to factor:

1) Magnum 44 will add drive past 9 o'clock so don't turn the knob higher than that. Rather raise the output on your AX8 to get the most headroom.

2) It's 44 solid state watts. For some it's enough but it's not going to be as loud as a 100 watt Dual Recto.

Hmmm I might have to look into one of these to replace my very old Rocktron Velocity 120.
I used to have a Velocity as well. It does something strange to the guitar sound. It's not neutral but I don't think they advertise it as neutral either. I do prefer the Magnum.

I used to have a Velocity as well. It does something strange to the guitar sound. It's not neutral but I don't think they advertise it as neutral either. I do prefer the Magnum.
Awesome, that really helps put the last nail in the coffin. I live overseas so constantly in the back of mind are shipping costs when its time to come back home. That and being able to travel with my rig (excluding a speaker) when I go home for vacation. The magnum really looks to fit the bill. I haven't ever had a chance to try out different power amps...got the velocity when I switched from tube heads to an ENGL pre and never tried anything else. So while I've never really had an issue with the sound from the velocity, I've never really know any different either.

Any comment on how the magnum does with a passive FRFR speaker? Currently using a regular cab but it'd be awesome if this little thing does an acceptable job for both.

I haven't tried it with an FRFR speaker but I think it's neutral enough to be used for IR shooting if you don't want to hassle with power amp color reduction etc. :)

If by IR Shooting you mean capturing my own IR's...I MIGHT have interest in doing that one time since I can't find any IR's to replicate my Vader cabinet that I love so much, but other than that I don't really care to get into it. If you just mean that its probably neutral enough to reasonably accurately translate an IR for use with an FRFR, then cool :)

If by IR Shooting you mean capturing my own IR's...I MIGHT have interest in doing that one time since I can't find any IR's to replicate my Vader cabinet that I love so much, but other than that I don't really care to get into it. If you just mean that its probably neutral enough to reasonably accurately translate an IR for use with an FRFR, then cool :)
I meant both. If it's neutral enough for IR shooting it's pretty damn neutral for just about every use case. I know there's an urge to use that bright switch on it but don't do it. It's neutral in normal mode. :)

The Magnum 44 is one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's relatively transparent.. way more neutral that any other SS FRFR power amps that advertise their transparency (out of what I've tried). There are two things you need to factor:

1) Magnum 44 will add drive past 9 o'clock so don't turn the knob higher than that. Rather raise the output on your AX8 to get the most headroom.

2) It's 44 solid state watts. For some it's enough but it's not going to be as loud as a 100 watt Dual Recto.

+1

I have a Magnum 44 in the back of my car for emergencies. It's more than loud enough, even with level at 9 o'clock. When compared to the Matrix GT1000FX or GM50, I think it's evident that the Matrix sounds much better, but on its own it'll get you through the gig just fine. And it's small and cheap. Watch out for ground loops though, there are quite a lot of reports around.

Yeah I don't really play live at all, kind of hard to put a band together in Kuwait, much less get a gig :p

I'm torn now though, just read up on the Alto TS212, I think I'd be better off spending the money on that and doing away with my crap little 1x12. Figure out a poweramp or small tube head for my 2x12 whenever I move back home. The 44 still seems like an awesome thing to have in the pocket though.

Anywho...I'm done hijacking this thread now...oops.

I use the Magnum 44 into a guitar cab and it sounds AWESOME. It's definitely loud enough for a small club. As has been stated, don't push it much past 9 o'clock but with your AX8 output high up that's plenty loud enough.

I have a ported 1x12 (like the Bogner Cube) that I am not really using these days, since I am mostly going direct to FOH, but I thought I might use it as a grab 'n' go setup with my Ax8. This requires a power amp, but I will only be doing this once or twice a year. I thought about the Magnum 44.

Has anyone tried something like this?

I found @ML SOUND LAB 's old thread about using the thing with his AxeFX http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...gnum-44w-guitar-power-amplifier-axe-fx.59115/, and he seems pretty happy. I guess, if it works with AxeFX, it should work with Ax8. Any new thoughts Mikko?
I use one with my ax8 I use a 1x12 or a 2x12 or 4 x12 works great I use it on fly dates just did a show in Texas Backline had a Marshall 4 x 12 used that the sound was big.

Thanks for the input - I am definitely getting one - I looked at the Thomann alternative, but I think there are too many downsides + this one gets great reviews from you guys

Thanks

I have used mine with a crusty ole Crate PowerBlock - 150w thing has been my backup for years and still works great for practices and small gigs. Not sure if they are still around but never had an issue with it.

Back
Top Bottom