AX8 Wishes

Looks great Johan ! I would add a second Performance view option without blocks info but with a subtitle for the scene enabled.

Yeah, I wanted to keep as close as possible to the existing Ax8/Axe Fx II functionality so it's possible to build with what we have now. A lot of people want to be able to name scenes and it's been requested since probably the day after scenes was introduced (years) but it hasn't happened yet. And yes, when we can name scenes it would be great to have in the Performance View as well.

There's a lot of requests on this thread for an updated view. Here's what I suggest:

ax8_views_zps2fedugdn.png

This is just different views and would require any change in functionality. Also, I realised after creating the Suggested Preset Select View that it doesn't highlight the current preset, which would be good. This could be done by investing just the current preset.

Performance View
Ideally, I would also like something like a "Performance View" that removed the top row of tabs to make more room and less clutter (who needs to look down when they are playing live and see a MIDI tab?). Something like this (this is the same size as above but doesn't it look bigger):

ax8_views2_zpsf4ntcpzm.png

In the Performance View, everything should be super visible:
  • All enabled blocks should be inverted black (like the DRV and REV).
  • All disabled blocks should be greyed out (like the ENH).
  • If a block doesn't exist, blank it out completely (like button 6). In performance view, there's no need to see a block that you can't hit anyway.
Performance view should be reached from leaving the current "Edit view" by hitting Exit (one more time). From Performance View you can get back into Edit view by hitting the Edit button.

What do you think? Good suggestions?

That's about all I would like to see regarding display while playing. Specially the Performance View is how I imagened it. Also the Suggested Preset Select View is a good one.
Good work Johan on thhe images

In looper mode, it would be nice to be able to assign the footswitches so you could access an effect block or 2 while looping. f ex, i don't usually need reverse or half speed so I could insert drive/delay or chorus/delay etc.

ax8_performance_mode_zps5njdquat.png

Here's a couple of updated screenshots form my suggestion for a Performance Mode in the Ax8. Basically a Performance mode would be a high-visibility view for live performance where the focus is to maximise screen realestate for visibility and remove any unnecessary screen element that's not needed for live performance.

This is based on current functionality and existing screen elements so it is possible to implement without changing any actual functionality (yes, I'd also like to name Scenes but that's a different wish).

In the Default (IA) mode, you can see that the blocks are smaller than the current blocks to make room for a much larger preset name. Also we have reversed blocks for the currently selected blocks to make it easier to see at a glance. If any blocks is not available (like if there's a global ENH at button 6 but there's no Enhance block in the current preset) then just remove the button all together.

In the Preset Select/Sticky Preset Mode, we display the Bank at the top and the first 15 or so characters of the preset with the current preset inverted. If we ever get named scenes, my suggestion would be to use a view similar to this as well.

In Scene Select/Sticky Preset mode - again a much larger text for the preset name and just display the scene buttons here to make it easier to see that I can actually select.

To enter performance mode, my suggestion is just to hit Exit one more time from the current default view. But I'd be happy to double click Exit to enter Performance view from any view. To leave Performance view - hit Exit or Edit.

awesome, awesome idea....I really hope the FAS guys take note of this post!

So I assume your default IA mode would display whatever IA footswitches you assign? I use preset select (1-4) for bottom row, and the per-preset stomp switches for the top row.

awesome, awesome idea....I really hope the FAS guys take note of this post!

So I assume your default IA mode would display whatever IA footswitches you assign? I use preset select (1-4) for bottom row, and the per-preset stomp switches for the top row.

Yes, exactly - this is whatever you would program for the buttons for that presets.

It would be great if we could assign metronome to a footswitch.

Also, can we turn the store button into the page left button? Also have enter and exit default as Nav instead. Currently, it is really difficult to get around the menus on the unit! Using the shift key just to navigate is pretty ridiculous.

I do, depending on what I'm doing. But the page with the grid layout for example, is where using the Nav buttons are quicker than using the E knob.
use the D knob to move left and right only. much faster than tapping buttons.

Reactions: KSL
I must admit Axe Fx front panel interface is much faster. I usually want to know the value of a parameter before i adjust it. That requires using Nav buttons. If there was a button that would scroll through parameters (like Tab does on the PC) and a constant 'value' encoder (A knob for example) it would be much faster.

Reactions: KSL
+1 for johns display recommendations. I would also still want the inverted block coloring (black blocks active, gray bypassed, dotted outline selected) to carry into the edit view as well.

Can I request an 'Undo' feature like on the Kemper?

Maybe double tap or hold the Enter or Exit buttons?

Reason is I sometimes adjust things by mistake in the menus as when the use the NAV knob, the rest of the knobs change.

And it would really be great if we can get a dedicated paging buttons. Maybe have an option to turn the store button into the page left button? The shift thing makes things frustrating at times.

Back
Top Bottom