AX8 Wishes

Hello fellow Fractalists, i've been reading about the multiband compression block in AxeFX III and I really think the AX8 needs that block too. Any chances to see this implemented in new firmwares? Or any good workaround to reach similar results with the existing blocks in the AX8?

I'm in love and totally satisfied with the Ax8 but @2112 's video on this topic keeps telling me I need this block for my palm mute playing.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Hello fellow Fractalists, i've been reading about the multiband compression block in AxeFX III and I really think the AX8 needs that block too. Any chances to see this implemented in new firmwares? Or any good workaround to reach similar results with the existing blocks in the AX8?

I'm in love and totally satisfied with the Ax8 but @2112 's video on this topic keeps telling me I need this block for my palm mute playing.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!
I don't think it will happen.

Anyway, to fine tune palm mutes try to tweak speaker comp and speaker time constant, I found that setting the latter to around 200ms gives me a nice thump on palm mutes.

I don't think it will happen.

That's a shame... is the MTB comp Block so demanding in terms of CPU that cannot be translated in the AX8?

Anyway, to fine tune palm mutes try to tweak speaker comp and speaker time constant, I found that setting the latter to around 200ms gives me a nice thump on palm mutes.

Thanks' i'll try your tip and i hope to hear other's suggestions too

Thanks' i'll try your tip and i hope to hear other's suggestions too
Another thought about that: if you're only interested in compressing the lows you can create a sort of 1-band compressor, just use two filter blocks in parallel set like a crossover (one high pass and one low pass set at the same frequency and Q) and place a comp in series with one of the two filters.

Another thought about that: if you're only interested in compressing the lows you can create a sort of 1-band compressor, just use two filter blocks in parallel set like a crossover (one high pass and one low pass set at the same frequency and Q) and place a comp in series with one of the two filters

That's another great tip I'll try tonight. I've just read the same tip from another guy here in the forum but I'm still not sure how to set these blocks.

I'd really appreciate if someone could share a preset including this 1-band compressor made out of 2 filter blocks in parallel.

Thanks for your time @DLC86 !

That's another great tip I'll try tonight. I've just read the same tip from another guy here in the forum but I'm still not sure how to set these blocks.

I'd really appreciate if someone could share a preset including this 1-band compressor made out of 2 filter blocks in parallel.

Thanks for your time @DLC86 !
Tonight as I get home I'll post a patch ;)

Keep your fingers crossed. :cool:

My personal impression based on 3 years with the AX8 is that you better not rely on FAS ever providing it.

Thank you for your input. I'm only in possesion of my AX8 since a year and a half but my experience so far tells me that Fractal won't neglect the Ax8 even if i understand they have to take care of their flagship product. I'll keep my finger crossed for sure!

Thank you for your input. I'm only in possesion of my AX8 since a year and a half but my experience so far tells me that Fractal won't neglect the Ax8 even if i understand they have to take care of their flagship product. I'll keep my finger crossed for sure!

Absolutely. There's a flow of constant updates. It just doesn't necessarily mean they will fulfill your wishes anytime soon.

@Marco Sarracino here you go.
I just watched Leon Todd's video and you can't do exactly what it does with the multiband comp cuz in the ax8 you can only split high and low frequencies and compress one of the two, while Leon just compresses a narrow band.
Anyway I just tried it and it works pretty well too ;)
Just find the frequency of the filters where you prefer to do the split (remember to set the same frequency on both) and carefully set the threshold to the point where it starts to compress only on palm mutes (you can see the gain reduction meter on the display of the ax8, page 2 of the compressor).

Regarding my first suggestion, I actually thought you wanted to accentuate palm mutes and not tame them. In this case it's better to use a lower value of time constant, something around 50ms should work.

EDIT: I figured out there's a way to select a narrow band actually: the filter parameter in the studio comp, the signal below that frequency won't be compressed.
So basically to replicate Leon's settings set filter (comp parameter) to 90Hz and frequency in both filter blocks at 300Hz

Filter 1.JPG Filter 2.JPG

Last edited:
@Marco Sarracino here you go.
I just watched Leon Todd's video and you can't do exactly what it does with the multiband comp cuz in the ax8 you can only split high and low frequencies and compress one of the two, while Leon just compresses a narrow band.
Anyway I just tried it and it works pretty well too ;)
Just find the frequency of the filters where you prefer to do the split (remember to set the same frequency on both) and carefully set the threshold to the point where it starts to compress only on palm mutes (you can see the gain reduction meter on the display of the ax8, page 2 of the compressor).

Regarding my first suggestion, I actually thought you wanted to accentuate palm mutes and not tame them. In this case it's better to use a lower value of time constant, something around 50ms should work.

EDIT: I figured out there's a way to select a narrow band actually: the filter parameter in the studio comp, the signal below that frequency won't be compressed.
So basically to replicate Leon's settings set filter (comp parameter) to 90Hz and frequency in both filter blocks at 300Hz

View attachment 50897 View attachment 50898

@DLC86 that looks amazing, thank you so much! I'll try thisas soon as i'm back home tonight. It's gonna be a long day today... stuck in the office for the next 6 hours.

Thanks again, i'll report back!

Actually, the filter in the compressor block only affects the side chain, so the compressor will not react to peaks below that frequency, but the full spectrum will still be compressed.

Couldn't you just use a peaking filter in the filter block a PEQ block to make both lo and hi-cuts)

Hi @Smittefar thank you for chiming in. I guess what you suggested is doable but i'm not really clear how to get there. I'll have to try and experiment a bit.

Actually, the filter in the compressor block only affects the side chain, so the compressor will not react to peaks below that frequency, but the full spectrum will still be compressed.
That's true but in this particular case, for how the compressor is set, I think it's practically impossible to hear the difference.
Couldn't you just use a peaking filter in the filter block a PEQ block to make both lo and hi-cuts)
A peaking filter would have a different slope than the hi or low pass filter and that wouldn't create a perfect crossover. IOW the flat frequency response would be compromised.

You would need three blocks in parallel to do that, two filters and a peq for the central band (using the 2 "blocking" bands). But I'm not even sure that the blocking setting in the PEQ has the same slope as the filter blocks.

I'm afraid this is getting a little to "technical" for my full understanding, maybe also due to the language barrier but mainly to my poor technical knowledge of these settings. As soon as i'm in front of my ax8 experimenting with these parameters, i'll be able to to hear the difference and find out what works better for my needs.

That's true but in this particular case, for how the compressor is set, I think it's practically impossible to hear the difference.

I hope this is the case indeed.

I'm afraid this is getting a little to "techincal" for my fully understand, maybe also due to the language barrier. As soon as i'm in front of my ax8 experimenting with these parameters, i'll be able to to hear the difference and find out what works better for my needs.

I hope this is the case indeed.
Se hai altri dubbi possiamo parlarne in privato in italiano ;)

Se hai altri dubbi possiamo parlarne in privato in italiano ;)

Just realized that you're based in Italy too! Good to know! i'll msg you in pvt as soon as I have time to try these settings.. I know further questions will arise ;-)

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom