AX8 V8.00 Public Beta

Interesing. I hadn't noticed that. How is it determined where the knobs would be? Based on the last time I used a specific amp? And if I choose and amp I never used before, would that one be at the default values?
basic knobs stay at whatever position they were last in that preset's memory, for the most part. so to avoid all of that, just full reset the block, as discussed earlier.

I noticed a weird behavior with this beta where when I hit F3 to go into preset select the F2 bank up button would not do anything but the F1 bank down button worked. I then used AX8-edit to browse to the higher bank I was trying to reach and then when I pressed F1 the F2 bank up button worked until I picked another preset and then it didn't work again until I used AX8-edit to navigate.
i don't quite understand. how is F3 a preset select?

I'm glad we are having the same upgrades than the AF2 (and I don't mind waiting a bit for upgrades) but I do miss "AX8 upgrades" (new features like assigning a switch to preset x scene 3).

Looking forward to it !

I did not play with V8 through my cab yet, have to do it with my trusted headphones + headphone amp right now. Did you guys notice less volume from your presets? Checked also with factory presets and shure did my amp/FW reset routine. It seems I have to turn up the volume of the headphone amp quite a bit more with V8. Hopefully it´s not my ears, lol...

I noticed a weird behavior with this beta where when I hit F3 to go into preset select the F2 bank up button would not do anything but the F1 bank down button worked. I then used AX8-edit to browse to the higher bank I was trying to reach and then when I pressed F1 the F2 bank up button worked until I picked another preset and then it didn't work again until I used AX8-edit to navigate.

Have seen that with fw 6 and 7 in the past too. Power cycled the AX8 to fix it. Never got a reply on the question if FAS is working on an error data collection to catch these spurious errors or not.

I posted something very similar in the 7.02 beta thread. With the 8 beta , once again I just lose tone in some presets. Seems like volume, but it's not. Had a beautiful (for me) fender champ 5F1 patch I liked alot. Now it's , well just not so good. I cannot get what it was I liked out of the EC Champ 5F1. Frustrating. I am far from new to the game here. As stated, only the last 2 FW s have done this to me. I mean for years. Usually any change I could find right away. In 702 beta, it was the dynamics tab in the amp block page-the compression, bottom left 4 knobs. So finally got that sorted out in 702 and was somewhat OK. But now again in 8 beta? Can't be the dynamics page because I know what changed there and fixed(reset) that already.

I guess "something" I do in my "some" of my presets is not getting along with the last 2 betas. As much as I was looking forward to the EC Champ, I am going back to the last 7 release, not beta. Just my story for now.
Yes I have reset and not reset...tried both.

something gone wrong also to me.
Ax8 sounds bad, it seems to me i'm playing a Pod and factory presets have low low low volume :confused:

Yes, you gotta do it the hard way, one by one. You better choose your best bunch, not all of them.

thank you. I did an hard reset on the presets i use usually, but nothing changed. Sounds bad.

I did not play with V8 through my cab yet, have to do it with my trusted headphones + headphone amp right now. Did you guys notice less volume from your presets? Checked also with factory presets and shure did my amp/FW reset routine. It seems I have to turn up the volume of the headphone amp quite a bit more with V8. Hopefully it´s not my ears, lol...

me too

Reload the firmware. Q8 sounds wonderful.

at the moment i'm restoring fw7 and i've a question
In the backup folder that fractal bot created doesn't exist a firmware file. there's only 3 files: system, presets and cabs.
So is it enough to back up these singles 3 files, to restore the previous firmware ?

Last edited:
I think, the system file might be enough. Maybe system plus presets.

No, it's not enough restore the 3 files. I've done, and the Ax8 Edit always shows "FW 8.00".
So, what else do i have to do, for back up to fw 7.01?

:confused:

In the backup folder that fractal bot created doesn't exist a firmware file. there's only 3 files: system, presets and cabs.
So is it enough to back up these singles 3 files, to restore the previous firmware ?
Nope. To go back to a previous firmware version, you have to actually install the previous firmware, from the same file you used when you installed that version the first time.

Nope. To go back to a previous firmware version, you have to actually install the previous firmware, from the same file you used when you installed that version the first time.

ah ok, thank you :)
i'm doing...

Well there you go, I didn't know that

The system file isn't the firmware, otherwise we'd be installing System files, not firmware. It's the system file from your unit which includes menu settings and that sort of data. The firmware we download and install for a new FW is exactly what you install when going backwards. And you also need all your presets and system files to go back.

The system file isn't the firmware, otherwise we'd be installing System files, not firmware. It's the system file from your unit which includes menu settings and that sort of data. The firmware we download and install for a new FW is exactly what you install when going backwards. And you also need all your presets and system files to go back.

thank you, this is my first Fractal machine, and this is my first "restore".... :p

What you do is:
1. Refresh after firmware
2. Soft reset the amp of every preset you want to use. That is: Go to the amp block, select another amp, then reselect the amp that was initially there. Done.

I'm still fairly new with the ax8, and I'm still learning new stuff... But when you have reselected the original amp, will it have the settings more or less as before, or revert to defaults?

Everything will be default except Input Gain, and Bass Middle Treble (possibly + Bright knob, never use it). You preserve so few settings with the soft reset that it is almost not worth doing compared to a full reset of the block (which can be achieved by pressing Ctrl+I)

Everything will be default except Input Gain, and Bass Middle Treble (possibly + Bright knob, never use it). You preserve so few settings with the soft reset that it is almost not worth doing compared to a full reset of the block (which can be achieved by pressing Ctrl+I)

Ok, thanks. But if I upgrade the firmware, will my presets still run on old amp models until i de- and reselect the amp? Or is it just that you want the new default settings? I'm a bit confused :)

if you update, the newest modelling algo will be used, the (soft) reset, applies new default values (if any).

Hey all, fairly new to the unit but how would you go about doing a clean firmware install? Is it necessary to reload the factory presets as well?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom