AX8 V8.00 Public Beta

Hey all, fairly new to the unit but how would you go about doing a clean firmware install? Is it necessary to reload the factory presets as well?

Thanks!

No, but you should first do a full backup of your unit so if you don't like you can easily restore your stuff.

Whenever you load an amp block, it always adopts the settings from the last amp block, you used/edited. I would probably also do a 'hard reset', if I remember to.

Whenever you load an amp block, it always adopts the settings from the last amp block, you used/edited. I would probably also do a 'hard reset', if I remember to.
Unless you are starting with a blank layout,yes. I like to start with a clean slate and build a new patch to test new firmware.

If you start from a blank preset, and insert an amp block, it still loads which ever amp you last worked with (at least in AX8edit)

I suddenly cannot get any sound to my amp. Did all the walk through x many and still no sound. The AX8 appears to work properly but no sound. Any ideas?

Hello Tilt,
Since you quoted my post I want to be clear. I stated that some of my clean presets mostly changed and not for the better. But as far as sounding bad and like a pod, not even close. I am very particular about my sounds. I have re downloaded and re installed both of the last 2 FW betas. So that didn't help me. Just wanted to be clear....My AX8 still sounds great, so your issue is very much different than mine.
Good Luck Buddy

Sounds great to me now, sounded great before. One thing I notice over the last couple of firmware and betas is that I'm making far less advanced parameter tweaks than I did before: and those mostly relate to balancing guitar/pickup with cabinet resonance characteristics. It may be due as much to my increasing familiarity with the unit as to performance enhancements.

Given that some of the under the hood algorithms have changed, I don't expect any previous preset to sound exactly the same: Even if they're very close, I prefer to rebuild from the default: It usually just takes a couple of minutes, and often enough I come up with a little tweak I prefer to what I'd had before. If nothing else, its reps on how the controls influence the sound on that particular amp model.

I am really enjoying the effortless transition between sweet melodic licks and the breakup of chording with the new 5F1 Tweed EC (cab 080 or 183). Don't know why, but it makes me want to fire up the grill and barbecue something: Maybe because it's fat, greasy, smokey, and goes down so easy. Yum.

If you start from a blank preset, and insert an amp block, it still loads which ever amp you last worked with (at least in AX8edit)
True but the settings are at default and not your last settings you used when you start an empty layout using preset 64-1 which is what I do.

So far sounds good to me. Didn't A/B so I didn't noticed a big difference.
Same here. I think one of my presets got significantly louder, but I don't use it often and maybe that was user error. Sounded good before, sounds good now. Seems like more of a subtle update, but happy that the team continues to refine things.

If you select a new amp block from an empty preset, there will be no "position they were last in that preset's memory", since their wasn't anything in that preset anyway.
you might be starting from a preset you DID use in the past, and therefore it will have old data. hence the hard reset.

does any of this really matter? Hard reset if you want. Don't if you don't :)

Last edited:
I did not play with V8 through my cab yet, have to do it with my trusted headphones + headphone amp right now. Did you guys notice less volume from your presets? Checked also with factory presets and shure did my amp/FW reset routine. It seems I have to turn up the volume of the headphone amp quite a bit more with V8. Hopefully it´s not my ears, lol...

Noone else experienced a volume drop except @Tilt and me?

The whole "when do I reset an amp block?" Is obviously a hugely confusing issue that comes up with every FW update.
Fractal always say in the release notes whether or not it needs to be done for the new changes to take effect.

However, it is basically a computer, so if any odd behaviour is noticed then the user should try a reset to see if it resolves it.

I've always followed the guidance from Fractal as per the release notes and never had an issue.

It's actually not that hard.
Biggest issue is people don't read the release notes.

The "other product" you refer to with the "brilliant UI" never has this problem because it never gets amp modelling updates like Fractal rolls out. If Fractal never updated anything then it wouldn't be an "issue" for Fractal users too; is that what you prefer? The fancy UI has nothing to do with it - it's the fact that it never gets deep updates that is.

Last edited:

I noticed volume dropping around Q7 on some amps. I do notice some amps like the Dirty Shirley are quiet while others are loud. I also noticed that turning up motor drive on the amp block reduces the volume. I don't think there were changes on Q8 for volume but it's kind of uneven since 7 or 7.02 so I couldn't say which is the cause. Easy fix though.

I posted about it in this thread and the 702 beta thread. Also, check the dynamics page in the amp block. The compressor settings changed. Bottom left 4 knobs. This is part of it for me. but not all of it.

basic knobs stay at whatever position they were last in that preset's memory, for the most part. so to avoid all of that, just full reset the block, as discussed earlier.

i don't quite understand. how is F3 a preset select?
Sorry I mispoke so I edited my post. I got mixed up on F1 and F3. So on my AX8 I press F1 to see select a new preset. Then F2 and F3 become bank up and bank down. I noticed after upgrading to FW8 that sometimes the F2 bank up button wouldn't do anything but the F3 bank down button would work. I could use AX8-Edit to navigate to the higher numbered banks and then after doing that if I pressed F1 to select a preset again then The F2 and F3 button both worked the first time but after selecting another preset it would do the same behavior until I used AX8-Edit again. Does that make sense?

Sorry I mispoke so I edited my post. I got mixed up on F1 and F3. So on my AX8 I press F1 to see select a new preset. Then F2 and F3 become bank up and bank down. I noticed after upgrading to FW8 that sometimes the F2 bank up button wouldn't do anything but the F3 bank down button would work. I could use AX8-Edit to navigate to the higher numbered banks and then after doing that if I pressed F1 to select a preset again then The F2 and F3 button both worked the first time but after selecting another preset it would do the same behavior until I used AX8-Edit again. Does that make sense?
ok i understand. i haven't experienced that, but we can try to reproduce this now. thanks!

Hello Tilt,
Since you quoted my post I want to be clear. I stated that some of my clean presets mostly changed and not for the better. But as far as sounding bad and like a pod, not even close. I am very particular about my sounds. I have re downloaded and re installed both of the last 2 FW betas. So that didn't help me. Just wanted to be clear....My AX8 still sounds great, so your issue is very much different than mine.
Good Luck Buddy

;)

Hey Tilt, did you know Sherman/G. Jefferson was a big prog rock fan?

wow, no i didn't!
Great Sherman! :cool:

i restored fw 7.01, everything was ok. Than i re-instal the beta 8.00.
At the moment seems to be ok, i don't notice lower volume on presets, but i played few minutes.
Tomorrow i will see better

:)

I experienced a temporary volume drop at a gig on Sunday. All my levels were spot on and then during one of our last songs my volume got so quiet that I couldn't hear myself. I compensated by turning OUT1 volume way up and I still could only barely hear myself. Then, right before the song ended the volume came back and I blew everyone out I was so loud. I completed two more songs with no issues. I assumed it was a bad cable. Still haven't checked the cables yet. Will do so tonight and see what I find.

Back
Top Bottom