AX8 V8.00 Public Beta

In all fairness to @Schmokes , the real reason it hasn't been released actually is because it's not ready. If it were ready, it would have been released. As to the remark about keeping post counts growing, he's only made about 100 posts in the last year and a half. I don't think post count is something he's concerned about. :). He did, however, reply with levity.

The Fractal crew works hard to get things done. You might get a response from the people you tagged with information about specifically why it's not ready, but that won't get you the release version any faster.

In all fairness to @Schmokes , the real reason it hasn't been released actually is because it's not ready. If it were ready, it would have been released. As to the remark about keeping post counts growing, he's only made about 100 posts in the last year and a half. I don't think post count is something he's concerned about. :). He did, however, reply with levity.

The Fractal crew works hard to get things done. You might get a response from the people you tagged with information about specifically why it's not ready, but that won't get you the release version any faster.
Thanks for not answering my questions! And congrats on your 12665th post! And I gave you a "like" too!

Anybody else who has no clue why the the official V8.00 firmware for the AX8 havent been released yet, when the Axe Fx II has already reached 8.01, please refrain from answering/quoting me directly. Carry on with your beta testing and enjoy the rest of this thread. Thank you.

I read it but all i got was "everybody's happy with the beta". Where did you read an official statement about the official release not being ready? Did you just assume that by it not having been released yet it means it's not ready? Of course that did occur to me, and i was expecting some levity, maybe a "Soon!" response from someone at FAS, but not a reply from Captain Obvious himself! Thanks for your response, way to keep our post counts growing!

(I'll try again)
@joe rogers @Admin M@ @FractalAudio Why isn't the official AX8 V8.00 fw ready for release yet? What about an AX8 V8.01 official (currently available for the Axe FX)? Should we expect an AX8 V8.01 beta first? Are we gonna go straight to AX8 V8.02 beta (ahead of the AXII)?

As an owner of an XL and an AX8 i like to keep them updated to similar FW versions because i always create my presets from scratch but i use saved blocks on the editors to speed up the process and maintain the same approximate tones between the two units. It would be disappointing to me to have one unit sounding better than the other. So far i've been successful and satisfied but at the expense of staying at FW 7.01 on both units. I don't like to install beta firmware, i think wouldn't be able to differentiate between a bug or if i'm doing something wrong. I like to use the official firmware, the one good enough to be installed on brand new units and shipped out with a warranty! And when both AX8 and Axe FX II are on the same firmware, that's when you can really appreciate the power of the "little AX8". I expect that one day the capabilities of both would cease to be somewhat similar as they are now due to hardware and processing power differences. But until that point is reached it would be better to keep both units on par, firmware-wise, so as not to make one feel inferior to the other.
You've been here a while. I know you're familiar with the process. I'm very surprised by these recent posts and calling out the Fractal staff for an expedited answer to the apparently obvious notion of "it's not ready."

it worked!!! thanks a lot
That's usually the solution. It's just Edit being out of sync with the info from the hardware. If things don't appear in edit - like that drop down list - or if they just seem wrong, do that Refresh after new FW command.

Thanks for your feedback about vol. drop in FW 8b.
I reloaded 8b, refreshed, hard resetted several amp blocks. Still at least 12 db less vol. I have to turn OUT 1 fully up, also my headphone amp, then increase the amp block level by 12 db to be where I was with OUT 1 at 50 %. Strange.
Maybe 8.01 will cure this - in my case anyway...
but: found a new love - a clean Hook amp...

I will quote myself so I don´t have to retype that stuff.Checked my global settings and made
a simple preset as @Rex suggested. Everything is set up correctly, but the big volume drop remains after FW 8.0b.
global settings:
- My input signal is fine, hits the 0db bar slightly when playing, so cabke or guitar are not the problem.
- Out 1 is set to +4db
simple preset:
- Amp: Captain Hook 1A, default settings = input drive at 5.0, input trim at 1.0, Level at - 12.0 db
- Cab: Basketweave G12H30, default settings, level at 0.0 db
Headphones: working fine

Out 1 fully turned up and headphone preamp fully turned up gives me a very low output volume as reported. I have to turn up the amp block vol. by at least 12 db to hear my sound properly - OUT1 at 50% and headphone amp at 50% used to be enough before.
Hoping for 8.01 to fix this.

Hi, i remember seeing something about volume drops or too loud on some amps/presets in the beta..The band commander i cant seem to get to go to zero on the vu. I have the level all the way to 12. the master at 8.00 and have to raise the output at least 4db to make it reach 0.

Regarding last two posts from Hhuent and jazzgtrl4. Even after reseting amp block settings on Dynamics pages my master is still turned up louder than it was on 7.01. I must be in the minority here but I think the beta sounds worse than I remember 7.01. I think I'm going to revert back

For the ones doubting. I gigged twice this weekend with 8 beta. Absolutely no issues. Instead my cut through the mix was excellent and the sound slightly different but better than fw 7.

Tx fas team and do take the time needed to finalize the public version.

We were in beta quite a while with the prior firmware. Sometimes there is a little bonus in the official release like a new amp or some new feature. That can cause a little bit of a delay in the release, and I wonder if FAS is tired of people giving them crap about the release time when they are being so generous to us? Maybe, just maybe, the flagship unit that cost close to double the price of the AX8 is priority. I suppose there can also be things that just aren't lined out yet and we just need to wait until they are. F5, soon! F5, SOON! F5, soon! What other product gives you so much? Seriously?!?!

Regarding last two posts from Hhuent and jazzgtrl4. Even after reseting amp block settings on Dynamics pages my master is still turned up louder than it was on 7.01. I must be in the minority here but I think the beta sounds worse than I remember 7.01. I think I'm going to revert back

You can't reset the Dynamics page only. When you reset a block (Control-I or Command-I), the entire block is reset.

Reactions: Rex
Out 1 fully turned up and headphone preamp fully turned up gives me a very low output volume as reported. I have to turn up the amp block vol. by at least 12 db to hear my sound properly - OUT1 at 50% and headphone amp at 50% used to be enough before.
What reading do you get on the VU meter?

Also, does the volume issue persist when you try other amp models?

It doesn't work that way. If you put the MV at full blast the level is dependent upon the amount of preamp gain. The voltage at the onset of clipping does not determine the perceived volume. As soon as things distort the perceived volume is dependent upon the amount of distortion which is determined by the amount of gain and the signal level into the amp (which is dependent upon pickup strength, string gauge, technique, drive pedals, etc., etc., etc.).

Furthermore no one puts the MV at full blast on MV amps because they usually don't sound good that way.

Yes I know all that. But sometimes amps differ 12 dB´s at full master and lots of preamp gain. The don´t seem to have the same clipping limit "so to speak". It´s no big problem to me but it could save some time if there was a standard.

I didn't interpret his post as saying that he's noticing the difference between the output levels of the various amp models. I took it that compared to previous FW his presets are now using 3% more CPU and the output for his presets has dropped 12dB or more. I guess the OP will have to clarify what he meant.

I definitely agree with you that it would be nice if FAS made the output levels of the various amp models more consistent. And I definitely agree with you that in the digital world there should not be any correlation between output volume of the modeled amps and the wattage of the modeled amp. The idea that the output volume of a 100 watt amp model should be more than the output volume of a 15 watt amp model in the digital world is pretty silly.

Ultimately, I just use the VU meter on the AX8 (and my ears) to set the levels between presets so that they are relatively equivalent.

-12 dB?

I noticed a little going from FW 6 to FW 7, but nothing even remotely close to 12 dB. I did not notice any drop going from 7 to 8.

Yes I agree. I just thought that since the levels seems like random between models, I´m not surprised that i can differ between firmwares.

I will quote myself so I don´t have to retype that stuff.Checked my global settings and made
a simple preset as @Rex suggested. Everything is set up correctly, but the big volume drop remains after FW 8.0b.
global settings:
- My input signal is fine, hits the 0db bar slightly when playing, so cabke or guitar are not the problem.
- Out 1 is set to +4db
simple preset:
- Amp: Captain Hook 1A, default settings = input drive at 5.0, input trim at 1.0, Level at - 12.0 db
- Cab: Basketweave G12H30, default settings, level at 0.0 db
Headphones: working fine

Hoping for 8.01 to fix this.

Is it the same for both XLR and TRS out?

UPDATE: I thought I was having the same problem but discovered my TRS cable wasn't fully inserted.

I played our worship services this past Sunday with the Beta version... it sounds "Better" to me,.. I think some of that tightness and "Swank" is back,.. especially on the Jumped 50W Plexi :D .... almost more of a depth to the sound over all if that makes any sense ...

Back
Top Bottom