AX8 V8.00 Public Beta

Potential bug: occasionally when switching from one patch to another (e.g Bank 1 Preset 2 to Bank 1 Preset 1), there is no output. Switching again with another preset brings it back. I'll dig through the presets to make sure nothing is getting reset to a 0 value and update if I resolve it or continue to encounter it.

FWIW I have had that happen several times as well, even with v7; twice during a tweaking session last week (AX8 Edit running but Paused), couple of times at rehearsals over the last few weeks, once or twice just practicing. Doing the same sequence of preset changes after a level drop has never reproduced that symptom. Like you say, levels return as soon as you switch to another preset. Don't have any controller pedals tweaking volume levels anywhere, and I'm pretty sure I've disabled the controller inputs that I'm not using (read to do that on the forum here IIRC).

FWIW I have had that happen several times as well, even with v7; twice during a tweaking session last week (AX8 Edit running but Paused), couple of times at rehearsals over the last few weeks, once or twice just practicing. Doing the same sequence of preset changes after a level drop has never reproduced that symptom. Like you say, levels return as soon as you switch to another preset. Don't have any controller pedals tweaking volume levels anywhere, and I'm pretty sure I've disabled the controller inputs that I'm not using (read to do that on the forum here IIRC).
I've reported a similar behaviour as a bug, I have the ax8 though but could be the same issue

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/output-level-drop.126692/

Potential bug: occasionally when switching from one patch to another (e.g Bank 1 Preset 2 to Bank 1 Preset 1), there is no output. Switching again with another preset brings it back. I'll dig through the presets to make sure nothing is getting reset to a 0 value and update if I resolve it or continue to encounter it.
Yeah, I have encountered this as well. But I have had this happening even before fw 6.xx. No idea what triggers it.

Checked my global settings and made
a simple preset as @Rex suggested. Everything is set up correctly, but the big volume drop remains after FW 8.0b.
global settings:
- My input signal is fine, hits the 0db bar slightly when playing, so cabke or guitar are not the problem.
- Out 1 is set to +4db
simple preset:
- Amp: Captain Hook 1A, default settings = input drive at 5.0, input trim at 1.0, Level at - 12.0 db
- Cab: Basketweave G12H30, default settings, level at 0.0 db
Headphones: working fine

Out 1 fully turned up and headphone preamp fully turned up gives me a very low output volume as reported. I have to turn up the amp block vol. by at least 12 db to hear my sound properly - OUT1 at 50% and headphone amp at 50% used to be enough before.
Hoping for 8.01 to fix this.

Just a short follow up on my last post: I guess I found the culprit. After reloading FW 8b, refresh, amp soft resets, checking cables I had a closer look at my headphone preamp. Output decreased slowly after the battery ran low. Why this, may you ask? I had it hooked up to a new usb dock (which is essential for my new macbook 12 which only sports one mini usb jack). Propblem is, this usb dock while quite expensive, does not seem to load my headphone preamp. Never was a problem with my old macbook and the regular usb sockets. Dammit. So, my issues were NOT FW8bs fault.

But I do notice with some amps quiet a big volume drop after a soft reset.

it might not even be a "knob" value that's changing though. it could be something we don't have access to. maybe someone can check out the JC120 and see if there is anything obvious.

it will still help to see your original preset for ourselves. perhaps something else is changing.

I think I know what my issue is. I am changing the amp block via Ax8-Edit. From what I've been digging up that could be the issue as the software doesn't "know" what the new default values are in the new FW. I am going to try and change my amp block from the device itself and see if that makes a difference.

...... I got a feeling today could yet be FW Friday for AX8 folk...(not that it matters to me...I'm 1000 miles from mine...(but a couple yards from my XL+ so don't worry for me....):cool:

As much as I like FW 8b I stay away from reworking my presets until 8.01 comes out. Because if I do it right now it will be there the moment I'm done: FW 8.01.

:mad:

Yesterday another strange thing happens to me (8.00b).
I was using a plexi preset (the one downloaded here on the forum to try the Motor Drive Block). Any overdrive i turn on, the sound croaks, as if the i/o levels were too high (but are ok).

It was too late and i didn't try on other preset. I will try today

Is there a technical challenge with getting the AXE FX2 modeling moved from TigerSharc to the AX8 ? Is the AX8 getting close to falling behind the AxeFX2 due to lesser processing power?

Is there a technical challenge with getting the AXE FX2 modeling moved from TigerSharc to the AX8 ? Is the AX8 getting close to falling behind the AxeFX2 due to lesser processing power?

That's my impression and my fear, that they've reached the limit with the new modeling upgrades and that's the reason we're not having neither a final release nor any news from the fractal staff. I hope I'm wrong, but such a silence doesn't help to have a bad feeling.

Last edited:

Patience grasshopper, good things come to those who wait! :)

Back
Top Bottom