AX8 V8.00 Public Beta

I played our worship services this past Sunday with the Beta version... it sounds "Better" to me,.. I think some of that tightness and "Swank" is back,.. especially on the Jumped 50W Plexi :D .... almost more of a depth to the sound over all if that makes any sense ...

do you have the preset or settings that you could share with the 50W plexi. i have tried setting up the plexi a few times but cant quite get the sound compared to a jumped jtm45.I like Q8 Beta more than Q7.02 as well

cheers

I can't get enough of the Double Verb Vib since this update. Maybe I'm way off base , and this model didn't even change since Q7 , but I never noticed it before , and now I love it. Coincidence ? Anyone ?

So, I installed the latest firmware and, as far as the actual amp sounds go, it's definitely meatier and more robust sounding. The one bummer is that it seems that all the particular drive pedal configurations and how they react to the amps have drastically changed, necessitating significant tweaking to all of my preprogram sounds…

For what it's worth, it seems like it will be worth it in the long run, though it's sort of a pain in the ass right now, tweaking and retweeting with every new firmware upgrade. I'm relatively new to this process, as I only bought the AX8 about a year ago, but still… I suppose at some point one should stop with firmware upgrades, if and when they are truly happy with the sound that they have.

Regardless, as I said, the amps sound spectacular. Much fatter and less anemic!!!

I have an inherently lazy streak, so I have an eye out for easier or more efficient ways to do things. For the way I use the AX8, I need a nomenclature system that relies minimally on memory or an external reference.

For AX8 presets, what I find convenient: once I get a preset dialed in; I also save each block as a block preset. For amps, its the name appended by pickup or guitar, and a few letter mnemonic code for artist, style or song (example: TbW = T-Bone, ChB = Chicago Blues, FB = Free Bird, that sort of thing), and firmware iteration (ex: Twin5F8 Tele Swing v8b. For a pedal block; appending with the amp its going in front of: TS9 P90 AC15v7. For cabinet block: the amp it's matched with: F109 AD200B v7).

So, when there is an update, I can ignore effects that are unaffected, instantiate the amp block, compare X with Y until I'm happy; and save a new block version. Since I reuse the same blocks in multiple preset/scene arrangements, it's a matter of going through the presets and updating just the new block versions. Usually I can figure out what the heck I was doing even months later. I also have preset effects chains (Vintage; all effects in front of the amp, Classic; effects in front and between amp & cab, Modern: pre, between & post). These are useful as starting points, so that everything is up and running, and just those things that need to be experimented with can be set upon.

IME, It's manageable housekeeping that so far is keeping up: I spend vastly more time working on song arrangements and the music end of things than I do tweaking the unit, even in this banner year of firmware updates. Hopefully, there's a tip or two here to help keep up with the jonesing.

I can't get enough of the Double Verb Vib since this update. Maybe I'm way off base , and this model didn't even change since Q7 , but I never noticed it before , and now I love it. Coincidence ? Anyone ?

The Double Verb Vib has been my favorite clean amp and has been in use in my main clean preset for a while now. I love many of the Fender type amps but I keep coming back to this one for clean tones. It feels better in v8 vs v7, is less 'stiff'...more dynamic and responds better. Awesome to play.

Setup for a single coil it has a full, rich tone with easy to dial and pleasing high end; hit the same preset with a humbucker and it crunches and punches in the sweetest way. Not a big fan of sharp, strident Twins and this is a great model to get the right Twin sparkle with a full bodied overall tone.

I use the FAS Boost to put it over the edge and get a killer blues rhythm/lower gain solo tone. Love the Double Verb Vib.

Betas Betta! We don't need no stinking official badges! We're rebels! These aren't the droids you're looking for! Fractal has made me fracking crazy!
Sorry, soon! F5

I think I saw someone mentioning the regular Brit 800 amp and how they couldn't stop playing it on this firmware. I could not agree more. This amp seems to be different in a much better way. I normally would opt for a Splawn for this kind of sound.

I think I saw someone mentioning the regular Brit 800 amp and how they couldn't stop playing it on this firmware. I could not agree more. This amp seems to be different in a much better way. I normally would opt for a Splawn for this kind of sound.
Just curious - what's your factory cab of choice for the 800?

Potential bug: occasionally when switching from one patch to another (e.g Bank 1 Preset 2 to Bank 1 Preset 1), there is no output. Switching again with another preset brings it back. I'll dig through the presets to make sure nothing is getting reset to a 0 value and update if I resolve it or continue to encounter it.

After loading 8.0 having issues with my JC120 presets. I load my preset and it sounds fine. However when I reload the amp block by selecting something else and then comeback to the JC120, which from what I understand is necessary after the firmware upgrade, there is a huge volume drop. I did a before and after of the amp settings on the block and the output settings and they're the same before and after. Level, Master, etc. Any thoughts?

which from what I understand is necessary after the firmware upgrade,
it's not necessary. it just loads new default values.

when firmware changes, the underlying values can be different, so putting values back to what they used to be might not sound the same.

Can I ask what default values change? As stated earlier when I take a snap shot of before and after all values appear the same, On the amp block as well as in the output settings. In other words all settings visually appear to be the same but it is as if I knocked an additional 12db of volume off the output. So far it is only affecting presets where I am using the JC120.

Can I ask what default values change? As stated earlier when I take a snap shot of before and after all values appear the same, On the amp block as well as in the output settings. In other words all settings visually appear to be the same but it is as if I knocked an additional 12db of volume off the output. So far it is only affecting presets where I am using the JC120.
it might not even be a "knob" value that's changing though. it could be something we don't have access to. maybe someone can check out the JC120 and see if there is anything obvious.

it will still help to see your original preset for ourselves. perhaps something else is changing.

Back
Top Bottom