AX8 V7.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loaded up the new Brit #34 and Ownhammer Factory Cab and made a quick preset and video; the new OH cabs are the ducks nuts!

I'm looking forward to playing around with a few more models and looking out for any bugs. Awesome work by the FAS team.

I love the attack on these clips. Wow. I only got it loaded this morning but had to run to work.

Played with this a bit last night, and here's my first thoughts.

AX8 Edit as usual took a dump right off the bat so I did all my playing through the unit itself. New patch and cycling through amps with an Ownhammer IR cab.

Overall, most of the amps seem significantly quieter. I found myself turning the level up, then I raised the level of my monitors, then I finally raised the input gain on my interface. There seems to be 6-10 dB less volume overall.

High gain amps seem to sound more more "woody". There's kind of a thicker, meaty tone to them. Solos sound fatter. Cranking the amps sounds more powerful whereas before they might have sounded choked. Less grainy or fizzy as well. I might not have spent much time on amps like the Recto before, but it was very usable.

The new 800 #34 really rocks. It's more open sounding than the 800 Mod, more upper mids but somehow a thicker upper mid sound rather than harsh. Lots of fun. Works well backing the gain down too.

Downside is I found everything to be significantly darker in the top end and lacking presence. I'm playing through studio monitors (BX5) at lower to medium volumes, but I was doing the same thing last week with the old firmware. Still using Ownhammer IR's, and switched over to the 57 from the OH1F mix to get a little brighter sound. This was consistent across amps and with different IR's, so I may play with global EQ to add some more high end back in. This didn't seem to have anything to do with reduced high cut frequencies as I raised those to 20k again.

I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts!

Quick question: to load the new FW7 amp models you need to unload/load an amp in an existing preset (or create one from scratch), is that correct?

Presumably you have to then save the preset for the v7 amp settings to loaded a subsequent time? If you don't do this and the preset is reloaded what are you hearing, a Q6 amp or a Q7 amp with wrong settings?

Just trying to get my head around it.

I didn't have any issues with AX8-Edit at all.

I didn't reset any of the amps in my presets but I noticed that the amps were a little "hotter" using the original settings for each one.
I have one Smallbox preset I use that normally I would add a drive block for solos. After updating to this firmware it's a little hotter now that I don't need to engage the drive. And not so much that it's too much gain. Love that there's more articulation on solos.

2112 Man those Rectos sound mean

Is that in dropped C any chance of preset later when 7 drops official

It's killer
Yes indeed, well spotted! I'll definitely upload a few different Recto presets when the official release is done. The new Ownhammer mixes really add some special sauce to the mix too.

I`ll have to wait loading V7 until after the upcoming gig. Nevertheless I wonder wether there will be some improvements regarding the programming of the footswitches. In the Whish List there are many, many whishes related to that and I didn`t find any word about such changes. Will I be dissapointed?

@joe rogers, will the new taper be applied to existing presets so as to preserve the existing drive setting, or will current presets maintain the same visual control setting?
It is recommended that you reset the amp block and start over. Change the amp type to something else, and then back to the desired amp type. The new defaults will be setup, then you can readjust.

Finally, I dialled up the new factory cab #149 and shot out all the Recto models; these definitely put a smile on my face and certainly feel closer to my old Rev G Dual Rectifier to play.

Man, those sound good! Nice video brother.

It is recommended that you reset the amp block and start over. Change the amp type to something else, and then back to the desired amp type. The new defaults will be setup, then you can readjust.
CMD+I (reset the amp block) will not suffice?

Quick question: to load the new FW7 amp models you need to unload/load an amp in an existing preset (or create one from scratch), is that correct?
No. You get the new modeling automatically. When you reselect the Amp, you load the new default vales for the parameters that you have control over.

Presumably you have to then save the preset for the v7 amp settings to loaded a subsequent time?
Yes. You have to save any changes you make if you want to keep those changes.

If you don't do this and the preset is reloaded what are you hearing, a Q6 amp or a Q7 amp with wrong settings?
If you don't do this, you're hearing a Q7 amp with the wrong settings.

I know I will have to re-select the amp and make any adjustments I want with any of my personal presets I dialed in from Q6, but I would like to audition all the new amp model settings in all the factory presets without having to re-select the amp in every single factory preset. So my question is...

Is there an option/procedure, when updating to Q7, to overwrite all banks/presets with FAS factory presets that are dialed in with FAS Q7 settings?
In other words, do I need to delete all presets before upgrading to Q7, do I just tell it to overwrite any existing settings, or is re-selecting the amp in every preset the only way?

Thanks!

I know I will have to re-select the amp and make any adjustments I want with any of my personal presets I dialed in from Q6, but I would like to audition all the new amp model settings in all the factory presets without having to re-select the amp in every single factory preset. So my question is...

Is there an option/procedure, when updating to Q7, to overwrite all banks/presets with FAS factory presets that are dialed in with FAS Q7 settings?
In other words, do I need to delete all presets before upgrading to Q7, do I just tell it to overwrite any existing settings, or is re-selecting the amp in every preset the only way?

Thanks!
Deleting presets won't help you. You'll just face the same issue when you load them back in. Re-selecting the amp, and then saving, is what you need.

No. You get the new modeling automatically. When you reselect the Amp, you load the new default vales for the parameters that you have control over

Does it do something other than just set the parameter values to default?

E.g. I could re-edit the amp from the arbitrary state without reloading? I notice it's mentioned that the usual reset block command is not sufficient, hence why I'm asking if there's something more happening.

Does it do something other than just set the parameter values to default?
No.

E.g. I could re-edit the amp from the arbitrary state without reloading?
You could do that—if you knew what the new default values are—but you don't know that unless you reselect the amp and find out what they are. Besides, that would be a crap-ton more work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom