AX8 seem stuck and display is flashing

csrMark

I posted a thread about hearing my AX8 on my computer and it getting distorted.

However, today. I disconnected my AX8 from my computer and plugged my Tele into the unit with a cable going out to my little Peavey rage amp sitting on the desk beside me.

After about 2 minutes of playing the unit froze and seemed "stuck". The display was flashing and the audio clicking and going in and out. Here is a video.

When I turn off the unit and turn it back on it clears the problem.............for a while

I just noticed in that video... the MIDI IN light is flashing with the display? I have no idea why?

It happened to me a few times, no idea why, only solution is to restart the AX8. However, with the FW 9.02 it has not happened. Good luck with troubleshooting ...

I posted a thread about hearing my AX8 on my computer and it getting distorted.

However, today. I disconnected my AX8 from my computer and plugged my Tele into the unit with a cable going out to my little Peavey rage amp sitting on the desk beside me.

After about 2 minutes of playing the unit froze and seemed "stuck". The display was flashing and the audio clicking and going in and out. Here is a video.

When I turn off the unit and turn it back on it clears the problem.............for a while

It appears as though the AX8 is cycling through block screens as if the EDIT button is held down.

As @csrMark noted, the MIDI IN light is flashing. Unplug the MIDI cable and see if the problem goes away. Something may be sending the AX8 spurious MIDI traffic.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you may have a dirty switch contact. Please try the following steps to clear the button(s) of any dust:

1) Turn the AX8 off.
2) Press down firmly on the EDIT button for a second or two.
3) Rapidly press the EDIT button a good half-dozen times.
4) Power the AX8 back on.

(You may want to try steps 2 and 3 on all the front panel buttons while the AX8 is off.)

If the problem persists, please contact support.

I had a weird intermittent display problem once.
I turned all the encoder knobs and it went away...like a knob was stuck between two values.

It appears as though the AX8 is cycling through block screens as if the EDIT button is held down.

As @csrMark noted, the MIDI IN light is flashing. Unplug the MIDI cable and see if the problem goes away. Something may be sending the AX8 spurious MIDI traffic.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you may have a dirty switch contact. Please try the following steps to clear the button(s) of any dust:

1) Turn the AX8 off.
2) Press down firmly on the EDIT button for a second or two.
3) Rapidly press the EDIT button a good half-dozen times.
4) Power the AX8 back on.

(You may want to try steps 2 and 3 on all the front panel buttons while the AX8 is off.)

If the problem persists, please contact support.

I have nothing plugged into the MIDI in or out at the back of the unit

Only thing plugged in is the instrument and a line out to the amp.

I have nothing plugged into the MIDI in or out at the back of the unit

Only thing plugged in is the instrument and a line out to the amp.

I should have said to unplug the USB cable. It carries MIDI-over-USB signals to/from the AX8.

Thanks Michael... much appreciated. I have shut off the unit and tried pushing all the buttons. However, the unit has never left my office/studio and i actually cover it when it's not in use. I'm still learning how to use it and hope to use it live in the future.

What i will try tomorrow is leaving it on for a long time just plugged directly into my amp.. not to the computer.. we will see what happens

Well.. be playing around with this trying to figure out what's going on... Still no luck.. .However, I hasn't done it since I thought that maybe one of the problems was lying in the "PAGE" button?

When I click on that row of buttons from STORE to LOCK they all feel/click the same ... EXCEPT the "Page" button. It feels slightly different so I did as @Michael Pickens suggested and press it a bunch of times...

Today, I'm going to leave the unit on all day... even when I go out... lets see if it starts up again.

Gotta admit.. kinda makin nervous to use this at a gig at this point............

Well.. be playing around with this trying to figure out what's going on... Still no luck.. .However, I hasn't done it since I thought that maybe one of the problems was lying in the "PAGE" button?

When I click on that row of buttons from STORE to LOCK they all feel/click the same ... EXCEPT the "Page" button. It feels slightly different so I did as @Michael Pickens suggested and press it a bunch of times...

Today, I'm going to leave the unit on all day... even when I go out... lets see if it starts up again.

Gotta admit.. kinda makin nervous to use this at a gig at this point............

I would be nervous too. I have had mine for well over a year and done lots of gigs indoors and outdoors with mine and it hasn't had a hiccup. .If there's a bad button/knob or whatever, I'm sure Fractal support will be great and fix/replace it under warranty. If it happened again and you can't fix it, I'd surely take advantage of that. Good luck, Eric

The Edit button was stuck down. Just wiggle it around a few times and it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom