Ax8 latency

^^ this made a great difference to me. I went from never really timing my scene changes right to hitting the perfect instance every time

Yes I have to admit that this (switching on upstroke) is something not usual when you use a footswitch. You have to do a little practice with it.

It also can't be reiterated enough that if you are experiencing "lag" with any and all switching, you would probably greatly benefit from disabling "Press/Hold for XY" so that a footswitch is activated on the downstroke and not the upstroke.

My question is about the switches engaging on release: I had my FX8 set up like this and it worked perfectly for me as if for example my lead break was approaching I could hold my foot on the footswitch several seconds in advance and then lift my foot at the appropriate time to switch scene. Are you saying if I want to minimise the potential "lag" I can't do this with the AX8, or is this a different feature?

Apologies if it's a stupid question - I never used X/Y on the FX8 - it was purely used for scene changes. I set it up when I got it and then just used it with virtually no tweaking!

I've just moved to the AX8 from the FX8 and was aware of the potential "lag" - however as has been mentioned it just means I'm approaching my presets slightly differently. So far I have also only really noticed it on amp & reverb X/Y changes - which I shall avoid. I'm also fortunate that I'm in a rock band with a 2nd guitarist, so the likelihood of any delays in switching being heard are unlikely...In fact I never even checked to see whether my FX8 with H&K Grandmeister changing amp channels via MIDI on the FX8 was completely seamless - we just played the songs.

I think that's also what makes this more of an issue for some - when you're playing alone at home or in the studio through monitors or headphones then any "lag" is blindingly obvious - I've yet to take my AX8 to rehearsal so we'll see, but I'd be amazed if I or my bandmates spot anything in the midst of a song. In the meantime while I'm playing at home through headphones experimenting with new presets, I can hear it, although only very briefly.

I accept that it would come at a premium, but If there was ever a floor based unit of the Axe FX with all bells and whistles then that's something I'd definitely be interested in....I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Are you saying if I want to minimise the potential "lag" I can't do this with the AX8, or is this a different feature?

I encourage folks to disable the "Press/Hold for XY" when they feel "lag" but this doesn't actually minimize lag. What happens is that for the uninitiated, they might be stomping a scene switch and not lifting their foot immediately, which means the scene won't change immediately. Usually this applies to people who aren't toe tappers. After disabling the feature, the scene will change instantly on the tap of the switch.

It sounds like you have a grip on downstroke vs upstroke and you actually prefer the upstroke, so you can leave the feature enabled.

Thanks for the tips on disabling X/Y switching. I forgot to try it last night but will get to it soon.

I did some "extensive testing" last night (all in the name of science) with a patch I made over the weekend:

S1: Matchless DC30 low gain + reverb
S2: Matchless DC30 medium gain + reverb
S3: Friedman HBE high gain + reverb
S4: Friedman HBE high gain + pitch + delay + reverb

I was using both amp and cab X/Y switching as well as a scene controller to adjust the gain and obviously turning effects on and off at each scene.

There was just no audible gap switching between scenes 1 and 2 as well as between scenes 3 and 4. They are using the same amp/cab and switching was instantaneous.

There was a slight gap switching between 1/2 and 3/4 due to changing the X/Y of the amp and cab. It was definitely not a full second. I would say it was around 1/4 of a second or less. I meant to record and measure it but I got distracted by a hockey game on TV.

This isn't the prettiest example but in this sample I manually change scenes while the input is still going. I've refined this patch a bit since recording this, but the change from Crunch to Clean Chorus to Crunch Chorus to lead Vibe/Delay are instant with obvious level jumps (in a good way). I started with the Scene Control template supplied in bank Sixty-something.

I have Hold for X/Y disabled and I think it makes a difference.

This isn't the prettiest example but in this sample I manually change scenes while the input is still going. I've refined this patch a bit since recording this, but the change from Crunch to Clean Chorus to Crunch Chorus to lead Vibe/Delay are instant with obvious level jumps (in a good way). I started with the Scene Control template supplied in bank Sixty-something.

I have Hold for X/Y disabled and I think it makes a difference.

Can't see how anyone could complain at that for switching.

Would you mind uploading the preset?

I have F3 set to go between scene 1 & 2, where scene is rhythm and scene 2 is lead. I love the ability to set up the switches like this btw. I do notice a little latency. Sometimes I will add an effect using the "Y" setting and the latency is much more noticeable.

I have F3 set to go between scene 1 & 2, where scene is rhythm and scene 2 is lead. I love the ability to set up the switches like this btw. I do notice a little latency. Sometimes I will add an effect using the "Y" setting and the latency is much more noticeable.
If you set the "HOLD" function on F3 to "NONE", then the scene toggle will execute on the DOWN of the footswitch.

At the moment my footswitches are like this:
Fs1-8 =Presets
F3 = tap tempo / hold for tuner
F2 = Bank down / hold for scenes (tap again to exit scenes mode)
F1 = Bank up / hold for Looper

Will this setup add lag (even more from the obvious x/y lag) ? I mean what others have said about, that releasing the Footswitch will change the scene, not when you are pushing it. Hope you understand my yadayadayada.

At the moment my footswitches are like this:
Fs1-8 =Presets
F3 = tap tempo / hold for tuner
F2 = Bank down / hold for scenes (tap again to exit scenes mode)
F1 = Bank up / hold for Looper

Will this setup add lag (even more from the obvious x/y lag) ? I mean what others have said about, that releasing the Footswitch will change the scene, not when you are pushing it. Hope you understand my yadayadayada.

No.

But you will be changing presets on the upstroke, unless you disable the hood feature.

Also, your tap tempo reacts to the upstroke since the hold feature on F3 is not set to none.

But you will be changing presets on the upstroke, unless you disable the hood feature.

Also, your tap tempo reacts to the upstroke since the hold feature on F3 is not set to none.

Thanks for these tips!
I'm a new AX8 user (downgraded from AFXII). What is the hood fearute?

Back
Top Bottom